IGNORED

Dermot Reeve

Big Red Rich

Reeve, Piper, Paul Smith, Wagg & Ed Giddings all former or current Warwicks players have been done for doing drugs.

Reeve reveals cocaine addiction

Former England cricketer and television commentator Dermot Reeve has admitted he is addicted to cocaine.

The 43-year-old confessed to having commentated on a Test match for Channel Four under the influence of the drug.

The match in question was last summer's first Test between England and New Zealand at Lord's.

"I have no recollection of seeing the ball on Saturday and Sunday. I had to watch the match video to hear what I said," he told the Mail on Sunday.

"No-one seemed to notice much difference, they just said I was my usual self but more chirpy - and kept doing Imran Khan impressions off-screen.

"They said it was the funniest commentary they had ever heard."

Reeve quit Channel Four on Friday after five years as a member of their commentary team.

I want to have normal highs that aren't due to cocaine

Dermot Reeve

Awarded an OBE in 1996 for services to cricket, he captained Warwickshire to six trophies in three years, including three in 1995.

He also played 25 one-day internationals for England - appearing in two World Cups - and won three Test caps.

Reeve revealed that in the 1990s, when he played for England and Warwickshire, he smoked marijuana in the close season.

Reeve suggested there was widespread use of "illegal substances" within cricket at that time.

"If every cricketer I knew at the time I played was banned from playing, you would not have seen very good teams out there," he said.

"I occasionally smoked marijuana at that time out of season, but it was never a problem."

Reeve told the newspaper his marriage to second wife Fiona was under pressure when he first used cocaine, but he has vowed to kick his habit.

"I have given up cocaine for a month at a time, but I have to be honest and say that I think about it every day that I have given it up," he added.

"I want to be clean and healthy and fit for my kids and have normal highs that aren't due to cocaine. If I need professional help, I will seek it."

Archived