IGNORED

Jonathan Lewis

megansdad

Not sure of JL is a City fan or not but along with Marcus Trescothick I hope he features in the England team to face Bangladesh this week and goes on to help us beat the Aussies and win back the Ashes. That after all is all we have to look forward to over the rest of the summer- new signings apart. Football season has finished - Come on England and hope JL has a debut to remember, while we are waiting for the other Marcus to sign!

Having been a football team mate of "JJ's" on many occassions I can tell you he is not a City fan, I don't think he is originally from the area.

JJ, or "Pointy Head" as he is less than affectionately known, is however a thoroughly nice guy and no mean centre forward, albeit prone to missing the odd open goal now and then.

I often bumped into JJ in the gym during the winter, putting a lot of work into in particular upper body strength exercises, prior to his call-up.

I hope he gets his chance properly this summer, he thoroughly deserves it.

(For the cricket enthusiasts among you, JJ, together with several other current and ex Glos cricketers, including Mike "Smudge" Smith, Bobby "Daws" Dawson, James "Avo" Averis, Mark "Dingers" Hardinges, James "Whitters" Whitby-Cole, and more have played in the winter months for my team, Bristol North West, in Div 1 of the Bristol Suburban League, over many years. Another former Glos cricketer, Deano Hodgson, retired from pro cricket a few years ago and has since played regularly. I believe Deano still holds the record for opening first wicket stand for Glos).

Having been a football team mate of "JJ's" on many occassions  I can tell you he is not a City fan, I don't think he is originally from the area.

JJ, or "Pointy Head" as he is less than affectionately known, is however a thoroughly nice guy and no mean centre forward, albeit prone to missing the odd open goal now and then.

I often bumped into JJ in the gym during the winter, putting a lot of work into in particular upper body strength exercises, prior to his call-up.

I hope he gets his chance properly this summer, he thoroughly deserves it.

(For the cricket enthusiasts among you, JJ, together with several other current and ex Glos cricketers, including Mike "Smudge" Smith, Bobby "Daws" Dawson, James "Avo" Averis, Mark "Dingers" Hardinges, James "Whitters" Whitby-Cole, and more have played in the winter months for my team, Bristol North West, in Div 1 of the Bristol Suburban League, over many years. Another former Glos cricketer, Deano Hodgson, retired from pro cricket a few years ago and has since played regularly. I believe Deano still holds the record for opening first wicket stand for Glos).

He was the omly cricketer I've seen , deliberately dropped by the opposition in an old Gillette Cup second round game because he was going SO slowly and couldn't get the ball off the square, that it paid the other team to keep him there and use up the overs!

He was the omly cricketer I've seen , deliberately dropped by the opposition in an old Gillette Cup second round game because he was going SO slowly and couldn't get the ball off the square, that it paid the other team to keep him there and use up the overs!

Cricket, the not so bright peoples alternative to watching paint dry!

Your on the wrong forum

I was deliberately dropped twice - does that beat the record ?

Anyway, it looks like he's going to get even fewer test matches than Mike Smith - they've left him out again...

Not sure of JL is a City fan or not but along with Marcus Trescothick I hope he features in the England team to face Bangladesh this week and goes on to help us beat the Aussies and win back the Ashes.  That after all is all we have to look forward to over the rest of the summer- new signings apart. Football season has finished - Come on England and hope JL has a debut to remember, while we are waiting for the other Marcus to sign!

Before he got scouted for Glous, he used to play cricket for Swindon - I dunno if that helps with his team?

Blimey, I played a few games for them in the past! When? (I've been with them about 12 years)

One of my ex-colleagues used to manage them. Who?

Must have been 8 or 9 years ago, Steve Cummings was the manager.

One of the last games i played for them one of the opposition players died of a heart attack on the pitch. Did you play in that match? sad.gif

Must have been 8 or 9 years ago, Steve Cummings was the manager.

One of the last games i played for them one of the opposition players died of a heart attack on the pitch. Did you play in that match?  sad.gif

Aah! Stef the Sunderland fan. He always thought that, as a team, being mainly white collar workers, we weren't "hard" enough, so had a Sunderland tattoo put on his back, to "prove" we weren't - the first person in the club to have one, I believe. He later moved to Edinburgh, where his job took him.

Can't remember playing in a match where anyone died of a heart attack, though that's not to say I didn't, I have a terrible memory for minor details. Although, around the time you mention, I didn't play for half a season due to a combination of injury and lazyitis, so maybe in fact I didn't figure in that game.

Who introduced you to the club, and who else do you remember?

Aah! Stef the Sunderland fan. He always thought that, as a team, being mainly white collar workers, we weren't "hard" enough, so had a Sunderland tattoo put on his back, to "prove" we weren't - the first person in the club to have one, I believe. He later moved to Edinburgh, where his job took him.

Can't remember playing in a match where anyone died of a heart attack, though that's not to say I didn't, I have a terrible memory for minor details. Although, around the time you mention, I didn't play for half a season due to a combination of injury and lazyitis, so maybe in fact I didn't figure in that game.

Who introduced you to the club, and who else do you remember?

It was Stef who introduced me. As i say used to work with him, i knew his flatmate Gem and Magnum, i can remember a few other guys vaguely. I think there was a chap with a glass eye who played occasionaly who was a city fan. Its a long time ago now and i aint getting any younger!

Archived