IGNORED

Stewart Good Signing But................

Guest Baker32

Guest Baker32

Just a Little thing all you city fans should think over. When Stewart Signs who we start up front ? Well if he goes with Stewart and Lita no target man But has pace with Lita. Stewart and Brooker here we have a target man but no pace so not a great combo. Lita and Brooker Target man and pace a great Combo now you see where the problems could lie. I know stewart will be a great signing But it might be citys downfall cause stewart will not wanna sit on the bench whats your view?

Just a Little thing all you city fans should think over. When Stewart Signs who we start up front ? Well if he goes with Stewart and Lita no target man But has pace with Lita. Stewart and Brooker here we have a target man but no pace so not a great combo. Lita and Brooker Target man and pace a great Combo now you see where the problems could lie. I know stewart will be a great signing But it might be citys downfall cause stewart will not wanna sit on the bench whats your view?

I can't personally see the point in breaking up the Lita, Brooks strike force and you can't succesfully play 3 strikers in this division...............and as you say, I can't see Stewart warming the bench!

I would much prefer to se us bring in a back up target man with experience and a coach who knows his stuff.

My only thinking is that if we don't get Stewart now we will never get him, he may well be brought in as Lita's replacement who in my opinion will leave either in the first transfer window of the new season (depending on his form) or before the season starts.

Guest Champagne Football

Many people are talking about playing Stewart behind the front two. Does anyone think this would work? It is the only way I can see us not disrupting three very good first team players. Stewart is very creative, I think if we can incorporate such a position in the team, we should strive to achieve it.

.................Phillips

..Carey.......Coles...Heywood

Cotterill..Russel..Smith..Golbourne

.................Stewart

............Brooker..Lita

Golbourne has got the energy to cover LB if we come under attack. We could push Stewart into midfield if it becomes one way traffic against us.

Guest hairyshamrock

Cotterill will not be an effective wing-back in my opinion. I think you're right about golbourne though.

Personally, and i know people will laugh, but i'd like to see Lita behind the front 2 of Stewart and Brooker. He has the pace to run from deep and it would make him harder to mark. The only downside i can see is getting him to track back after years of conditioning to be a striker.

Other than that, to answer the original point, it seems we are only signing Stewart partly under the same reasons as to why a dog licks himself... because we can!

I don't think he will fit into the style of play or into the team. We've seen what happens when you go out and buy players purely on reputation; we buy them, they sit on the bench and we sell them to Oldham for 100k (according to other threads on here). Heff never fitted our style and he's had a barren 12 months because of it in a fledgling career. Will the same thing happen to Stewart at the other end of his career?

Guest we8thegas
Many people are talking about playing Stewart behind the front two. Does anyone think this would work? It is the only way I can see us not disrupting three very good first team players. Stewart is very creative, I think if we can incorporate such a position in the team, we should strive to achieve it.

.................Phillips

..Carey.......Coles...Heywood

Cotterill..Russel..Smith..Golbourne

.................Stewart

............Brooker..Lita

Golbourne has got the energy to cover LB if we come under attack. We could push Stewart into midfield if it becomes one way traffic against us.

swap brooker for stewart and that should do or 4-1-2-1-2

.................Phillips..

Carey...Coles....Heywood..Golbourne.

..................skuse...

......Russel................Smith..

................. Brooker..

............Stewart.....Lita..

Guest Champagne Football
Cotterill will not be an effective wing-back in my opinion.  I think you're right about golbourne though.

Personally, and i know people will laugh, but i'd like to see Lita behind the front 2 of Stewart and Brooker.  He has the pace to run from deep and it would make him harder to mark.  The only downside i can see is getting him to track back after years of conditioning to be a striker.

I agree with you that Cotterill wil not be an effective wingback, which is why I suggest he isn't a wingback, only Golbourne is. Cotterill acts like an ordinary right winger in a 4-4-2 where as Golbourne will act like a LWB. This would result in a 4-4-2 formation when we are under pressure, but when we attack, we do so in numbers, deploying a 3-4-1-2 fomation. It sounds complicated, but would be really easy to execute. Golbourne is at a very young age, which is why I believe he could handle the fitness involved as it would be no different to a wing back role. As long as Smith feels comfortable operating out on the left occasionally.

Your suggestion with lita is interesting, but I would be afraid to alter the role of a 29 goal a season striker. We know Lita is successful in his current position, so I wouldn't want to try new things with him. Stewart isn't an out and out finisher, althogh he can certainly score, he is very much an architect and creator, he would be very suited to the role. Unfortuantly, I can't see Tinnion adopting such an attacking system, but in this league, if we got it right, it could be a title winning system.

Guest Champagne Football
swap brooker for stewart and that should do or 4-1-2-1-2

..................skuse...

......Russel................Smith..

................. Brooker..

I am sorry, but Brooker's first touch is awful. The role of being behind the strikers is to get the ball and create chances for the striker, or have a pot yourself from out of the area. The ball would bounce off Brooker's feet and we would be instantly on a counter attack. Stewart has the touch and technique to play very well behind the front two.

I would also feel very uneasy with the midfield. Our defence does not need so much protection, so playing Skuse would be a waste of a talent such as Wilkshire. There is absoloutely no width in the team, so we would get murdered down the wings, without being able to put any dangerous low balls into the box ourselves. Not one man in that team would be able to beat his player, which is why we need a player like Golbourne, Cotterill and Anyinsah out on the wings.

That team is too defensive, for the style of play that Bristol City are good at.

Guest we8thegas
I am sorry, but Brooker's first touch is awful. The role of being behind the strikers is to get the abll and create chances for the striker, or have a pot yourself from out the area. The ball would bounce off Brooker's feet and we would be instantly on a counter attack. Stewart has the touch and technique to play very well behind the front two.

I would also feel very uneasy with the midfield. Our defence does not need so much protection, so playing Skuse would be a waste of a talent such as Wilkshire. There is absoloutely no width in the team, so we would get murdered down the wings, without being able to put any dangerous low balls into the box ourselves. Not one man in that team would be able to beat his player, which is why we need a player like Golbourne, Cotterill and Anyinsah out on the wings.

That team is too defensive, for the style of play that Bristol City are good at.

brooker scored 4 goals last 2 matches,done the job as captain well,covered more ground than ever before........." but his first touch is awful"???????????

not last 2 games it wasn't dance.gif

4-3-1-2 then

......Russel.......skuse.........Smith..

................. Brooker©..

maybe even 3-4-1-2

Carey.......Heywood.......Golbourne.

cotterill......Russel.....skuse.....Smith..

................. Brooker©..

Guest Champagne Football
4-4-2 please. We have seen how City fail to adapt to these other formations in the past. We aint no Barcelona!!

4-4-2 is great and we all want it, but you aren't solving the problem of Stewart, Lita or Brooker!

Someone is going to be very dissapointed and I very much doubt it will be Brooker. This is why I tried to produce an attacking team that incorporates all three players, whilst still having a sound defensive unit as well as attacking width.

Looking at all the replies, everyone's in agreement that Brooker, Stewart and Lita will play up front together. If the team behind them doesn't collapse then we should be looking at 80+ goals in our next league season. The only worry is our leaky defence and lack of creativity in midfield.

People will disagree but i would play.......

....................Phillips..........................

Carey....Coles...Heywood...Goldbourne

Murray....Russell...Wilkshire........Smith

..............Lita.........Stewart.................

Thats Football.

3-4-3 failed badly last season - Why would it succeed this time round?

Obviously somebody will be dissapointed but thats what happens when you have quality in depth.

Whoever is left out will get a chance at some point.........

Sorry.....Was replying to paolo's question city.gif

Guest Champagne Football

It is not such a bad team, except once again we lack width. I believe last season our main problem was not the defence, in comparison to most teams our defence was actually quite good. Our main problem was the lack of width. Nobody seemed to get past their player and cross in from the byline except Anyinsah and Cotterill. I can't see Smith working out on the left, much like Wilkshire did not work out on the right. I think Murray can no longer get past his man and that merits his place on the bench not in the first eleven. Our biggest problem in my view is the lack of a left winger. It is all good putting Smith on the wing, but he can't beat a player apparently, so he will cross from deep. Unfortuantly without Brooker nobody will get on the crosses, meaning we won't have any threat from the left. So if we want to make these crosses count in a 4-4-2 we have to drop one of either Stewart or Lita and then that problem arises again!

Cotterill or Anyinsah should be competing for the right wing and I hope they can both adapt to the left wing because if we don't sign anyone

to play there, 8 games into the season I guarantee you that we will need one.

Obviously I have not seen Smith, but from his descriptions, he will be pretty useless out on the left unless we have a target man up front.

"3-4-3 failed badly last season - Why would it succeed this time round?"

My team is not a 3-4-3 formation, It is a 4-4-2 formation with Golbourne acting as a left wing back pushing up and Stewart pushing up to the front two strikers, whilst covering back in midfield when we are under attack. It is much more versatile and would allow is to get on top of midfield without sacrificing defensive players and would allow us to get forward with huge attacking potential. Stewart would be great in a forward midfield position as he has great technique to hold the ball with his feet and get us out of difficult positions.

dunno.gif

dunno.gif Will be interesting. The young midfilerlders who we need tomorrow

Scott Brown, Cotterill, Golbourne Joe A. Then there is Gillespie who didn't get an opportunity and this is what happened to Heff.

Admittedly the team is stronger but some players careers will be on hold. Something has to give....

Cotterill....Russell...Wilkshire........Smith

I'd be extremely happy if this was the first 11 or was given a chance.

these are nice ideas but has anyone thought that litta might not start the season as a city player. lots of clubsreading middlesborough etc are so say sniffing round. it only takes one to put money where their mouths are and he,ll be gone

It is not such a bad team, except once again we lack width. I believe last season our main problem was not the defence, in comparison to most teams our defence was actually quite good. Our main problem was the lack of width. Nobody seemed to get past their player and cross in from the byline except Anyinsah and Cotterill. I can't see Smith working out on the left, much like Wilkshire did not work out on the right. I think Murray can no longer get past his man and that merits his place on the bench not in the first eleven. Our biggest problem in my view is the lack of a left winger. It is all good putting Smith on the wing, but he can't beat a player apparently, so he will cross from deep. Unfortuantly without Brooker nobody will get on the crosses, meaning we won't have any threat from the left. So if we want to make these crosses count in a 4-4-2 we have to drop one of either Stewart or Lita and then that problem arises again!

Cotterill or Anyinsah should be competing for the right wing and I hope they can both adapt to the left wing because if we don't sign anyone

to play there, 8 games into the season I guarantee you that we will need one.

Obviously I have not seen Smith, but from his descriptions, he will be pretty useless out on the left unless we have a target man up front.

Yeh i agree with alot of what you have said, However - I personally don't believe Murray is finished quite yet, He is a confidence player and was at is best with Carey just behind him(In a footballing sense) and they worked well together. Going by what Tinnion said about Smith it sounds as though he is going to be playing on the left wing.....Stewart is good in the air and I may be wrong but i thought somebody said Stewart is the same height as Brooker - 5FT 11.

Guest Big Si

How about Stewart on the left wing, and him and Lita swapping position during the course of the game?

We could still play 442 that way.

I would like to see Skuse play alot, but by bringing in 2 central midfielders, and we still have doc and wilkshire there are too many players available for 2 central midfield slots

Phillips

Carey Coles Heywood Golborne

Anyinsah Skuse Russell/ Smith Stewart

brooker Lita

My team (if all were fit and available) would be

Phillips

Carey/Coles/Heywood/Golbourne

Cotterill/Brown/Wilkshire/Smith

Lita/Stewart

I don't think you could play Wilkshire and Russell together as there would be no one in there who could tackle and it would be harsh on LW to leave him out after he had a good end of season. Let the new boy play his way in!

Despite what I said above, I would leave out Brooker. Brooker is only 5' 11" and Stewart is the same, so he would provide the same aerial threat but with better touch and finishing. We'd then have Brooker to come on and provide a bit of physical presence if the first approach didn't work.

One thing people haven't taken into account is suspensions and injuries!!!

(Apart from Gazareth)

My team would be this.

Phillips (unless we have brought in a keeper who can come out and catch the ball)

Carey

Golbourne

Coles

Heywood

Murray

Smith

Russell

Brown

Stewart

Brooker

Subs- Lita, Coteril, Fortune, Skuse and Orr.

My team would be this.

Phillips (unless we have brought in a keeper who can come out and catch the ball)

Carey

Golbourne

Coles

Heywood

Murray

Smith

Russell

Brown

Stewart

Brooker

Subs- Lita, Coteril, Fortune, Skuse and Orr.

How can you leave Lita on the bench??

Makes no sense.

We'll be playing 50+ games next season, that means each striker could get over 35 starts if we play with only 2.

There is no way Tinnion will dick around with formations again, it will be 442 and if Stewart signs Brooker will be on the bench in the first game. I hope that he doesn't stay on the bench for the whole season, we should rotate and keep competition for places tight and players fresh.

We don't have to play target man style, with Russell, Brown, Skuse Wilkshire etc in the centre of midfield and Smith, Cotterill, Golbourne, Murray breaking wide we should be capable of playing quality balls in from the wings or to feet from the centre, or in behind the defence. No need to hoof it out of defence at all.

Next season we look like we will have the strikers AND the service, lets just hope Heywood sorts out the defence.

Nibor

Archived