IGNORED

What's Really Changed?

jimtastic

Having read the board this morning, I've been confronted by a swaithe of optimism, one poster going as far as saying that we'll win the league by 10 points. Two weeks before the end of the season, a lot of posters on this board were slating the side and calling for Tinnion's head. I'm curious as to what changes people have seen recently to prompt this sudden change of heart?

- Tinnion's still in charge (I'm a Tinman fan, but his numerous critics have been viciously opposed to him staying in the job)

- The perceived coaching situation still hasn't been addressed. In fact, it's gotten worse. Stowell's gone to Leicester and Taylor, whose coaching has often been praised in the past, has gone.

- Two of our "better" players, Murray and Docherty both suffered an alarming drop in form last season and although a number of our youngsters have performed well when they've stepped up to the plate, I think that there's a real gulf of experienced talent in the first 11. Consider also that we've lost Bell and could potentially lose Smith and Coles (presuming he's still on the transfer list).

- There are still question marks over Tinnion's "belief" in or the attitude of two of our better players - Coles and Wilkshire.

Purely on paper, I'm not over-enthused by our new signings either. I'm not pre-judging them - I truly hope that they do well, but until we see them in a City shirt we only have "paper" to judge them on.

- Russell looks good from the reports I've read about him. Let's bear in mind though where he's come from - a Div 2/bottom of Div 1 side.

- I might have missed something, but reports I've seen about Heywood from the Swindle mob weren't all that glowing.

- Grant Smith spent much of the last campaign warming the bench at a mid-division side.

- Presuming that it happens, I can't wait to see Stewart in a City shirt, but goalscoring isn't an area we struggled in last season.

I'm really not trying to be negative, honestly - just can't figure out where this extra optimism is coming from.

All valid points.......I think the club have taken a different approach to next season than in the past. All of the players signed are model pro's and all want desperately to play for the club and help them win promotion. Alot of signings in the past have been because they have potential - Wilkshire, Miller, Heffernan and Goodfellow to name a few.

Last seasons side was still mainly made up of players from Danny Wilsons time in charge, This time round tinnion can have no excuses - It will be his own team of players that all want to play for him.

I must admit that i was fuming and bemused at some of Tinnions decisions last term but he survived the season and now has a chance to do it with his own team. Then and only then can he be judged fairly.

Fair points but given Grant Smith spent half the season bench warming and ended up with 10 goals from midfield, that doesn't sound too bad to me. Given that Wilkshire scores a few and Tinnion has stated he will be playing in Central Midfield next season we might end up with a decent goalscoring return from our midfield players. that is one of the areas where we have often been weak.

Agree with Kibs 100%! Tinnion knew the players he wanted and he's gone out and got them. The team he is going to have next season will be the youngsters who have been finally given a chance, his own signings and those that were here under wilson and were just bloody fantastic last season. Tinnion also has a no nonsense approach as shown with tommy and colesy, and i'm glad he has given colesy a chance and that he has proved to tinman that he wants to stay which is great news in my book. Also this season Wilkshire has been immense under Tinnion, where he was rubbish under Wilson. Having Stewart and Russell will add experience up front and in midfield which we didn't have last season and often got caught on the break going for the winning goal and often lost valuable points because of it.

Like Kibs said Tinnion has no excuses next season, he has his own squad, and there is no reason why we shouldn't be successful city.gif

The optimism is kinda catching, and it is good to have a post to keep our feet on the ground.

I'm not convinced Tinman has no excuses next year. There are 'luck' factors re injuries etc etc. The other fact is that with the best will in the world, its not a team that will be remotely settled by the first game. They will need to get to know each others little ways. I am very encouraged by the signings, but right now need to see them play a bit.

My hopes for the first third of the season is that we can see a group of indivdually talented hard working committed players on the field wearing the red. I will be disappointed, but accept it, if we are midtable at this time but can see the raw material.

The next third will be the tme to judge Tinman - can he build the individual players into a team? Can we see where it is all heading?

The last third I expect to see some seriously good results. Whether accross the season this will be enough for promotion who knows, but if Tinman delivers the above that for me will be a good season.

Of course I hope we do blow the league away, and maybe we will, but I think we need to give a little time!

- I might have missed something, but reports I've seen about Heywood from the Swindle mob weren't all that glowing.

Reports aren't that glowing beacause:

a) He's leaving them

b) He's a "no mess" player who can head it and kick it but is not a pretty player.

Fans are often more positive towards players who can get the ball on the deck and pass.

We don't need him to be able to knock the ball around, Coles should be able to do that, we need Heywood to win the first ball in the air and lead the back line.

If he can do that he'll be a good player for us.

Guest Triumph_Dolmonite

Nice one Jim - thinking much the same myself. As with the previous two seasons it's starting to look as though we might have a strong squad on paper. Shame the games need to be played on grass!!

Archived