IGNORED

My Starting 11

Super Bob

I've been giving a bit of thought to which team and formation that BT will start with. I think a good line up would be

Phillps

Carey Heywood Coles

Murray/ Coterill Brown Russell Smith

Stewart

Brooker Lita

I think with Scott Goldbourne being very young and the only decent left back at the club and the problem of fitting Lita,Brooker and Stewart in the same team this line-up could solve Tins problems and I think it's a good team. Maybe a bit light at the back with Murray on the right but, I can see plenty of goals with this lot.

Hmm, itll be interesting to see what tins does on the first day of the season.

I think by playing some weaker teams in pre season itll give the players the chance to gain some practice and confidence playing perhaps in this formation, however i feel we will need to test it against at least a reasonable championship side!

I personally believe we would need a holding player in front of the back 3 if we played this formation.

Its a shame cos the one person who could do it, on their day would drive the team to the championship but your guess is as good as mine whats goin to happen to him!! banghead.gif

Guest Dorset Red
I've been giving a bit of thought to which team and formation that BT will start with. I think a good line up would be

Phillps

Carey                  Heywood                Coles

Murray/ Coterill      Brown                    Russell                  Smith

Stewart

Brooker                              Lita

Don't ever let anyone tell you Smith is a wide player. He played out wide at Swindon for a while and was utterly useless (not even good enough to make the bench for several weeks). To get the best out of Smith he has to be played in the middle of the park. There could be a role for him behind the strikers as he DOES have an eye for goal but don't rely on him for pace or strong tackling.

With regard to Matty Heywood, he has finished his time at Swindon very well (probably on the best form he had in 4 years) but he can be very shaky at the back on his own. He needs a strong partner at centre-back. Also, he has NO aerial threat at all. I can only think of one or two goals he ever scored for us.

Smith and Heywood are OK signings in this league but neither of them will set the world on fire!

If it's any indication, our defence has been VERY shaky with Heywood in it, conceeding far too many goals over the last two seasons. Out midfield has not scored anywhere near enough goals and has failed to back up Parkin effectively enough. I doubt very much that we will really miss either of these players once our new signings get bedded in.

I Think the following may work

Phillips

Carey Heywood Coles

Wilkshire Russell Stewart Smith Golbourne

Lita Brooker

With the following subs

Gilespie

Ayninsah (sp)

Orr

Brown

Fortune

This hopefully would enable us if we were winning and needed to defend go 4-4-2 with golbourne dropping back and replacing stewart/lita with a midfielder. and if needed a goal could go 3-4-3 straight away all players on pitch also can cover other positions. Only worry i have is we do not seem to have a sitting midfielder could be russell but know he likes to fly forward.

Think Skuse, Murray and cotterell all could come in as well so looks like at least 19 players we have that are capable to step in squad straight away.

Tinnion has already said in his review of last season that he'll play 4-4-2 next time out, so this is irrelevant.

I think Brooker will be the one (harshly) left out for Stewart and that Smith will play on the left hand side of midfield, whether or not he's been successful there before.

Heywood actually managed 8 goals for Swindon but as that was in 180 games, he's not exactly a set piece threat, is he?

As for us having no holding midfielder, well, Brown, Orr and Skuse are all at their best in this position, and Russell can play in this role too.

Heywood actually managed 8 goals for Swindon but as that was in 180 games, he's not exactly a set piece threat, is he?

Because he's so huge (He's actually 6' 4" not 6' 3" as quoted by Tins) you can guarantee that every time he ventures into the opposition box he'll be tightly marked by their best defender.

He never gets a free run or gets left unattended. You can't miss him and neither can everybody in their box.

More often than not for Swindon he used to go to the near post, where he'd attract their best defender climbing all over his back, a full back standing on his toes and often another man boxing him in from the side.

Unless the ball dropped straight onto his crust there was rarely any danger of him getting a header on target.

What none of the Swindon corner takers could ever grasp was that when Heywood was at the near post with two or three defenders in close attendance the last player they should aim for was Heywood.

His mere presence at the front post meant that one or two other Swindon players had to be unmarked. Anyone with a brain would aim for the unmarked men.

So the lesson is that the whilst Heywood may himself not score loads of goals his presence in the opposition box should mean that the other decent headers in the City side should have a field day.

Guest Ben Wah Balls
What none of the Swindon corner takers could ever grasp was that when Heywood was at the near post with two or three defenders in close attendance the last player they should aim for was Heywood.

His mere presence at the front post meant that one or two other Swindon players had to be unmarked. Anyone with a brain would aim for the unmarked men.

The corner takers, like Smith you mean?

Guest Dorset Red
The corner takers, like Smith you mean?

Well pointed out Ben Wah!

Smith was indeed our corner taker. I'm sure all these Brizzle fans must be licking their lips with anticipation!

Don't ever let anyone tell you Smith is a wide player. He played out wide at Swindon for a while and was utterly useless (not even good enough to make the bench for several weeks). To get the best out of Smith he has to be played in the middle of the park. There could be a role for him behind the strikers as he DOES have an eye for goal but don't rely on him for pace or strong tackling.

With regard to Matty Heywood, he has finished his time at Swindon very well (probably on the best form he had in 4 years) but he can be very shaky at the back on his own. He needs a strong partner at centre-back. Also, he has NO aerial threat at all. I can only think of one or two goals he ever scored for us.

Smith and Heywood are OK signings in this league but neither of them will set the world on fire!

If it's any indication, our defence has been VERY shaky with Heywood in it, conceeding far too many goals over the last two seasons. Out midfield has not scored anywhere near enough goals and has failed to back up Parkin effectively enough. I doubt very much that we will really miss either of these players once our new signings get bedded in.

Nah I doubt you'll miss them either. Smith only played half a season and came runner up in the player of the year rankings. He also only managed a return of 10 goals from his limited opportunites. I'm sure your midfield of Michael Pook (I'm not aware you actually have any others contracted for next season) will do equally as well next season.

In regards to Heywood i've been told that he's as good as they come in League One in the air and even played well against Steve Howard (who habitually eats City defenders for breakfast). Also who is the one player your ugly gremlin of a manager wants to replace.... Matt Heywood.

I shall take great delight in ridiculing any further nonsense you post.

Guest we8thegas
I shall take great delight in ridiculing any further nonsense you post.

i shall too wink.gif

bit of work on the training ground will sort out the errors your trainer taught them razz.gif

I Think the following may work

Phillips

Carey          Heywood        Coles

Wilkshire  Russell  Stewart    Smith    Golbourne

Lita          Brooker

With the following subs

Gilespie

Ayninsah (sp)

Orr

Brown

Fortune

This hopefully would enable us if we were winning and needed to defend go 4-4-2 with golbourne dropping back and replacing stewart/lita with a midfielder. and if needed a goal could go 3-4-3 straight away all players on pitch also can cover other positions. Only worry i have is we do not seem to have a sitting midfielder could be russell but know he likes to fly forward.

Think Skuse, Murray and cotterell all could come in as well so looks like at least 19 players we have that are capable to step in squad straight away.

Looks ok at home - very attacking line up - are you sure about Wilkshire on the right though ? Personally I'd have Coterill on the bench to give another option on the right

or up front

Guest Dorset Red
bit of work on the training ground will sort out the errors your trainer taught them razz.gif

Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it.! We'll see. biggrin.gif

Archived