IGNORED

Filthy Cheats

StapleHillPhil

Guest Tactical Genius

Like all great sides Glos are entering a period of transition. Somerset entered one in 1983 if I recall, they've yet to snap out of it.

Like all great sides Glos are entering a period of transition. Somerset entered one in 1983 if I recall, they've yet to snap out of it.

Somerset have struggled under the weight of history from the Botham, Richards, and Garner era. I would add that our cause has not been helped by the England side consistently taking a large number of our players over the last decade or so. This is a problem that Gloucestershire CCC have little fear of facing.

I've no beef with Glos. I'd just prefer it if both the team and ground had a bit of character. Somerset may be frustratingly inconsistent but with the likes of Ian Blackwell in the team we are at least capable of providing some top notch cricketing entertainment.

Guest Tactical Genius
I would add that our cause has not been helped by the England side consistently taking a large number of our players over the last decade or so.

Well, Trescothick was only in and out of the Somerset side at the time of his elevation into the England Squad, and quite often down the order at 7 too. Caddick has never been interested in the county game, and would have spent longer out injured had he not had the carrot of test cricket dangling in front of him. For Blackwell see Alleyne.

Now even you must admit that's hardly a large number of your players by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you are counting the very brief soujourns of Lathwell, Mallender and Johnson et al.

Well, Trescothick was only in and out of the Somerset side at the time of his elevation into the England Squad, and quite often down the order at 7 too. Caddick has never been interested in the county game, and would have spent longer out injured had he not had the carrot of test cricket dangling in front of him. For Blackwell see Alleyne.

Now even you must admit that's hardly a large number of your players by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you are counting the very brief soujourns of Lathwell, Mallender and Johnson et al.

I'd say that losing at least one player for most seasons has done Somerset no favours. In the case of Lathwell, he was taken by England whilst he was still learning his trade and had all confidence destroyed by a captain who didn't want him in the team. I've no idea why but the rumour mill at the time suggested that Graham Gooch refused to even speak to him.

I'd lay the blame for most of Somerset's failure at the feet of Peter Anderson. He appointed a series of poor coaches, and too often extended the contracts of players who simply hadn't done the business with the bat.

I'm glad to see you haven't claimed that the County Ground is a thing of beauty TG. Will you be in attendance when I have the pleasure of visiting the ghetto for the Twenty20 game in July?

sounds like sour grapes here!!

Glos are rubbish at the moment, but we are still better than somerset.

as for the cheating, the ball was not damaged, and he is a new signing, and one thing you couldnt accuse some of the glos team of is cheating!

(If we still had Russel and Harvey we would cream anyone!!)

KNR, somerset struggled yesterday under the weight of being not very good.

Yet another poor display by Somerset at Bristol. Maybe it has something to do with the horrible surroundings but I've never seen us put in a good performance vs Glos.

A much better match vs Northants yesterday despite the result. Looks as though qualification from our group will go down to the final round of matches.

sounds like sour grapes here!!

Glos are rubbish at the moment, but we are still better than somerset.

as for the cheating, the ball was not damaged, and he is a new signing, and one thing you couldnt accuse some of the glos team of is cheating!

(If we still had Russel and Harvey we would cream anyone!!)

If he was found guilty of ball tampering then that sounds like cheating to me.

(If we could turn back time and play Botham, Richards, and Garner, I reckon we'd be quite good too)

KNR, somerset struggled yesterday under the weight of being not very good.

biggrin.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/4653939.stm

Somerset thrash Gloucestershire

Twenty20 Cup, Taunton: Somerset 228-5 beat Gloucestershire 133 by 95 runs

Scorecard

Somerset crushed Gloucestershire to secure a place in the quarter-finals of the Twenty20 Cup as the best third-placed side in the three zones.

Taunton witnessed the best ever score in the competition, of 228-5, with Ian Blackwell, Graeme Smith and co hitting a tremendous volley of sixes.

Gloucestershire started their daunting run chase brilliantly, Andy Caddick's two overs costing 42 runs.

But Blackwell, Keith Parsons and Gareth Andrew closed out a 95-run win

Guest Tactical Genius

Flat track bullies KNR, flat track bullies. Always have been, always will be. Always in the shadow of The Shire.

Archived