IGNORED

Craig Ireland

TomBCFCUK

A 30+  player who has many low game seasons in his career. From 18-28 seasons with less than 26 games are regular, thats worse than the doc. Those figures would suggest injury prone and he wont get younger.

I completely agree with this we do not want an at best average center back who can't even get into a relegated peteborough side! wouldn't bother with him, didn't impress me much on loan.

He impressed me, especially at Tranmere where he won everything in the air. Much stronger than Coles and it would make a very strong central defence with Heywood, which was what we were lacking last season.

As for not getting into Peterborough's side - you only have to look at the relationship with Barry Fry to work that one out. A different spin on it could be he didn't play in all their games, and that may have contributed to their relegation.  Now they are relegated, he wants out.

I agree, I think we only conceeded 2 goials in 3 games when he playe though I might be wrong. He would be good backup for the defence on a one year deal.

Guest alex1089

Get him down on a 1 year contract with the option of another year on low wages and I am sure he will be a good player for us.

Get him down on a 1 year contract with the option of another year on low wages and I am sure he will be a good player for us.

Think that's a good idea.

My guess , however , is that either their is a deal in the pipeline concerning Coughlan for Doherty or Tinnion still believes in Fortune and is willing for him to be the main cover for Coles/Heywood.

If Tinnion feels he can get us up with what he has , as a Championship Club it would also be easier to get a Nelson/Evatt next season , so the one year contract idea seems good espeically as I have severe doubts about Fortune.

I was very impressed with Craig Ireland, he done nothing wrong when on loan to us, at Hull he was immense and same with Tranmere too. When we have those long long spells of pressure if were 1-0 up or holding on to a good away draw he never lost concentration and always was in the right place at the right time to head clear, him and Heywood with are similar but might be just what we need?

Puckle_red

Dominating centre back in the S. Taylor mould ohmy.gif should of kept hold of him when we had him. Got to be worth a years contract praying smiley.gif Goalie cover is a must as well, then maybe just maybe city.gif

Guest striker10

are you all mad?? no way should we sign him, never good enough he was ok and done a job when times were hard thats all, if he was that good PETERBOROUGH would keep him!!!!!

Guest striker10
Yes yes yes yes yes, but no say the board unless he can play in goal !

MM

no we shouldnt sign him are u all mad?? if he that good peterboro would keep him!!!!!

Guest Moose

According to Sky Sprts News, Craig Ireland has been released from his current contract "by mutual consent". Sounds like that'd make him available free - would be a good addition to the squad in my opinion.

• Admin

don't forget that when Tinman and Steve Lansdown were in the Red and White bar before a game last season, they were asked about Craig Ireland. They said that he had some problem with one of his knee's and that he would not be able to play more than one game per week at best - that is why we wont be signing him . . .

Guest Moose
don't forget that when Tinman and Steve Lansdown were in the Red and White bar before a game last season, they were asked about Craig Ireland. They said that he had some problem with one of his knee's and that he would not be able to play more than one game per week at best - that is why we wont be signing him . . .

Didn't know that - avoid then.......

IMO Tins made the right decision. Yes Ireland put in some sound performances, but when the club outlays a years contract wages they have to look at the whole picture. Ireland has started in just 200 games in the last 10 seasons, just an average of 20 games a season. Yes he had 2 seasons of 39 and 49 games, but he had 8 seasons of 1-29 games.Not worth the gamble , and then we have Carey, Orr, Coles, Heywood,Fortune, Woodman, and Golbourne, thats 7 available for 3 or 4 positions + Skuse if necessary.

Archived