IGNORED

Experience, Quality And Youth

I haven't read through all the Marcus threads, so this may have been said before!

I apologise if it has.

Last season we had five main strikers in Lita, Brooker, Miller, Gillespie and Heffernan.

Of these five, I think only Brooker and possibly Heffernan had had 2 full seasons, scoring goals at this level.

In retrospect, this could well have caused us problems. We were lucky that it didn't.

When results do not go our way, when the goals dry up, when chances are missed (ala Miller at Swindon), these strikers need to have someone who has been there, done that and bought the t-shirt (no pun intended).

In Marcus Stewart, we have signed the best example of that type of player available on a Bosman this summer. Plenty of Championship clubs would have killed to have Marcus in their teams, and we got him.

If I was in Steve and Leroy's position now, I woud be looking at the situation in this way: I have the rest of my career ahead of me, it can only be of benefit to train and play with someone who has been one of the top scorers in the Premiership in the past.

Even if it means that Steve and Leroy play less games this season, which it undoubtedly will, it also means that they get to learn from a seasoned pro, who knows the tricks of the trade and also that, when the youngsters get their chance, they are fresher!

Far more pros than cons concerning this signing for me, and I haven't even got on to the fact that Marcus is a City fan!

Archived