IGNORED

Have You Ever Touched The Ball At A City Game?

Markman

following on from Nestor's post about being hit - it dawned on me that in 30 years of watching City - almost 100% home attendance and 50% per season away - I must have watched about 1200 games x 90 Minutes = 108000 minutes of City and have only briefly touched the ball once (and yet it has been caught, headed, punched by loads of people around me) and I have stood in every part of the ground (including the Park End - pre Atyeo) - is this rare?

Who has (apart from ball boys) the best match ball touched during game %?

(I remember the lad a season or two back who lost his chips at Cheltenham when the ball whacked into him - quite funny)

Guest Wolverhampton Zyder ed

Touched the ball a few times at chesterfield when miller and fortune I think were kicking the ball into the crowd for us to play with.

Also got a touch at peterborugh think Doherty leathered one into the crowd nearly got me got fingers on it.

i got the ball when leroy beat brentford 2-1 on boxing day last year, i was standing right behind the goal giving smith some stick and the shot whistled pass my head hit the bloke behind me in the head and landed in my arms...so i threw it a smith innocent.gif

I had the ball when I was a kid, I was in the East end and I chucked the ball back to the Wimbledon keeper Hans Segers whowinked at me...

Funniest I saw was at Brentford (about two years ago) where Scotty tore them to pieces and peppered their goal with shots hitting the woodwork thrice I think! One particular free kick curled past the far post with pace and clouted some poor bloke on the temple!! The guy went straight down... When I realised he was OK I couldnt help but laugh at him!

for 1 season i bought a season ticket in the williams and sat near Mark Whitehouse. Just behind the home managers dugout. On one accasion the ball flew over towards us and i cought it while Mark had been waiting to catch it for 10yrs + biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Been going for 9 years now as a season ticket holder in the GWR, and I've touched the ball once. Must've been in my first season of going regularly! It was boxing day 1996. We played Shrewsbury and we won 3-2, and i threw the ball back to Darren Barnard biggrin.gif

By the way I've touched the ball several times at away matches when the ball is booted into the crowd before the game, but as those aren't matchballs I don't reckon they count.

Also, does it count if you catch the ball and throw it back to a ball boy? Its not quite the same as throwing it back onto the pitch is it. I've never actually done it, but was just wondering incase anybody else had whistling.gif

I passed the ball to Christian Roberts a couple of years back at a pitchside presentation. Cracking pass too. 20 yard raking ball, right to his feet, which he then turned into the net....

Of course the pass was more like 5 yards and he didn't even attempt to put it in the net. He'd have probably missed anyway

took one in the lovespuds from an Alan Walsh free kick that finnished in the crowd at Elm Park (Reading's old ground for you youngsters on here) on a Friday night game yonks ago ... 1-1 draw I think.

CHR city.gif

Well - this must be the winner so far (Elm Park - those were the days - remember when the old Bill dragged that City fn across the pitch in front of us - lively times!)

following on from Nestor's post about being hit - it dawned on me that in 30 years of watching City - almost 100% home attendance and 50% per season away - I must have watched about 1200 games x 90 Minutes = 108000 minutes of City and have only briefly touched the ball once (and yet it has been caught, headed, punched by loads of people around me) and I have stood in every part of the ground (including the Park End - pre Atyeo) - is this rare?

Who has (apart from ball boys) the best match ball touched during game %?

(I remember the lad a season or two back who lost his chips at Cheltenham when the ball whacked into him - quite funny)

You must also be ancient ....... Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band, indeed....... 'Shirts' anyone?

I have but cant remember when but it was at ashton gate!

But it got me laughing when reading this post and thinking back to that man who got hit in the face by a Brooker shot while he was warming up before a match last season! anyone remmber?

Guest markreynolds1986

I punched the ball in my first ever city game , Front row in Dolman , lost my pack of skittles for my effortd though.

Bets interaction ive had with a player was against Mk dons this year , when they were warming up , walked past Dean Lewington and said " All Ginge no bottle " he just stopped running and didnt know how to react biggrin.gif

I have but cant remember when but it was at ashton gate!

But it got me laughing when reading this post and thinking back to that man who got hit in the face by a Brooker shot while he was warming up before a match last season! anyone remmber?

No but I remember the warm up at Yeovil last pre-season......

Me to my Dad........ ha ha why are we standing here?

Someone is going to get a ball in the face........... eh........?

Thump....... ball comes whistling towards my pretty face......

Wow, lightening reflex...... Double fisted punch.... the ball goes flying back towards the pitch............

The only disapointing thing is nobody else really noticed it and I didn't even get a cheer....... or get a contract as the number two to give Phillips a run sad.gif

Mind you as I said at the time in a post shortly afterwards...... 'Ade' and co were a hoot with there funny comments through the game....... and they were true Bristol City supporting Gents.... when it came to checking to see if my nipper could see the game ...... Ade and co were about twenty feet tall.... honest smile.gif

Guest holdec

I was hit in the chest during the warm-up last season, I was Walking to my seat in the Atyeo did not see the ball until the last moment I was knock of my feet The stewards wanted me to go & see some medical staff. I had a mark on my chest for 3 or 4 days I can't remember what game it was or the score.

Only once in around 20 years of watching City did I actually hold onto the ball. That match at Swindon in the 80's. It was the first time we'd played them for many years. Most of the City lot arrived up there at about 10am. It was a crazy day from start to finish. Every time the ball went into the City section we refused to return it. At one time there were 3 or 4 balls in with us. We even had a short match amongst ourselves. I had one of the balls in my hands for about 5 minutes. I even had thoughts of taking it back home with me. Then, the police let the dogs loose on us. I quickly dropped the ball, as I moved up to the back of the terracing. I think a dog ate it! unsure.gif

i think the guy who had that ball blasted at him must of known about it ..that must of made a mark and I'm supriesed he didnt sue!

If you are refering to my post regarding Elm Park and a Walshie free kick, once the swelling goes down I will be able to assess the damage and proceed with legal action if appropriate.

CHR city.gif

Guest MaloneFM

I was at a game in a non commentary role with a Mr Reddrive. Probably Chesterfield as bugger all usually happens against them.

The young Redrive was on his regular excercise break of charging around the Dolman when the ball went out near him. He ran to get it. The Chesterfield player came over to get the ball off him.

Rather than chuck it back he turned to face the crowd and shouted 'LOOK DAD, I GOT THE BALL, DAD LOOK!' And waved it over his head.

Mr Reddrive instructed Redrive junior to return the ball to the waiting professional footballer stood feet behind him swearing like Barry Fry.

How we laughed-HUZZAH! biggrin.gif

Archived