IGNORED

Ever Felt You Were Responsible

Strange topic I know, but I have always felt I scored a goal for the Reds. It was about 5 years ago, at the Gate, down the Atyeo end. City were in the habit of playing those ridiculous short corners which always came to nothing. As another one was about to be taken by Tinman, I think, and the left back was running in to recieve it, I yelled out "try something different for ****s sake". Needless to say Tinnion booted it over only for one of our centre backs to bullet a header into the onion bag. I felt so proud. My one and only assist.

When I was about 10, me and my mate had a lucky scarf that we used to hold on to and pray for City to score a last minute penalty for us to win the game. It worked once, God knows who against though.

And for a while when I was 10/11 I went through a stage of eatign fruit pastles at games, because once wen i opened my packet City scored straight away. Needless to say it didn't work again though.

Also, I can remember at home to Bury in the game before we lost to Blackpool 5-1, it was 0-0 with 7 minutes left, with us needing a win to stand any chance of making the play offs. Then Bell came over to take a throw in in front of where we were sat, and some bloke shouted "7 minutes of our season left Micky". He must of heard him, as he went down the other end and scored and we ended up winning 2-0!

Guest hairyshamrock

My dad used to take his false teeth out when he came up to watch as he used to shout when they scored etc and they ended up in the lap of a bloke 4 rows down once. After he started taking them out we won a few home games on the bounce, that was the season we went up second to the Gas... He kept them in for the Twerton game as he didn't have anything to keep them in!

I felt responsible for the Marc Goodfellow goal in the play offs against Hartlepool last year, but only through reverse psychology...

When he missed the sitter minutes before i just remember shouting out "YOU ######G IDIOT (or something like that)"... minutes later my mates were making me look like the idiot as he scored that bullit header from 12 yards - in my defense, who thought that the imp from Stoke would have done that?!

Also, the last home game of last season, Mr Bell's corners were somewhat lackluster so i decided to ask him at high volume to "try a bit harder this time you useless so-and-so" at which point he put in a beaut and Big Stevie Brooker did what he's paid to. I take no credit for that though as i feel that Belly should leave with something to sing about from last season and he didn't exactly do much else... Thanks for the earlier memories though Belly.

not a goal, but I felt I assisted in a foul by Dave Martin late on in a game against Notts forest in the old div 1.

we were getting mauled by Clough, Collymore and co and were losing I think 4-1, Notts Forest were playing it around in the middle of the park and city were sitting back just playing out the final minutes as the game was over from a result point of view.

I had walked down from my seat in the dolman to the ptich edge and started to get annoyed at Forests "showboating" so yelled "get stuck in, they are taking the p1ss" Dave Martin was nearest and certainly heard me load and clear (not hard to hear at Ashton gate when we are losing) and promptly ran up to I think Webb and cobblered him late & hard as he flicked the ball away!

I think he may have got a yellow card and I felt both pleased for getting a "personal" responce but guilty for helping give a free kick away.

Mind you Dave Martin never needed prompting as far as kicking the oppo's!

Indirect assists, but I went to Port Vale away for 3 seasons in the mid to late 80's, a 1-0 win, a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 win. on the first visit I went for a gipsies kiss and whilst away City scored, the next time I was getting a brew and we scored, on the 3rd occasion I was determined not to miss a goal so I waited and waited then they scored !!!!

I havent been back there since and generally we don't do bad there..... so when I'm not looking, we score at Vale Park.

CHR city.gif

I don't know if I've ever felt responsible for a goal but I have tempted fate. I can remember when we played Huddersfield Town at AG last season and it was nil nil at the time and Matt Hill had the ball on the left hand side and I said to my Dad "we've got no-one who can header the ball in the net". Within a split second Matt Hill whipped it in and Scott Murray headed it in the back of the net for 1 nil City.

Archived