IGNORED

Whats Wrong With Top Goalscorers?

Big Red Rich

I still dont understand the problem people have with Lee Peacock? He consistently grabs a decent amount of goals a season, agreed another couple of players need to help out with just as many goals as he does, but he still gets a fair amount of flak.

Tony Thorpe got stick for not working hard enough even though he was our top scorer, and i remember Goater used to get a bit of stick as well for being a bit of a cart horse.

So, apart from Murray who i seem to remember could do no wrong, have we had many other top scorers who have been slated as much as Thorpe and Leapy? And why if they are top scoring for a side in the top 3, do they get so much flak?

For the record, i rate Lee and hope he signs a new contract.

The only problem i have with leapy, is that his ability is there for all to see, he has a lot of it, and in all honesty he should score more goals. he also doesn't seem to work as a strike paring with anyone really, bar Matthews, but i would put that more down to Matthews ability than peacocks ability to play with him.

He does tend to have long lean periods which can be a problem especially as we are not scoring that many anyway.

It could be that causing him to get stick, the fact that the team as a whole are not scoring many, is showing up his weaknesses, and blowing them out of proportion.

I think at least in LP case is that while he does get quite a few goals he really doesn't make the team better. He seems to not be able to link up with any of the other strikers on the team (maybe we need to play LP by himself up top), and cuts down many chances with stupid fouls and off-sides.

I don't really know what to thinkabout him at the moment. But I now understands Big Phils (ex-Brazil coach) quote about not including Jardel in the team "All he does is score goals".

I still dont understand the problem people have with Lee Peacock? He consistently grabs a decent amount of goals a season, agreed another couple of players need to help out with just as many goals as he does, but he still gets a fair amount of flak.

Tony Thorpe got stick for not working hard enough even though he was our top scorer, and i remember Goater used to get a bit of stick as well for being a bit of a cart horse.

So, apart from Murray who i seem to remember could do no wrong, have we had many other top scorers who have been slated as much as Thorpe and Leapy? And why if they are top scoring for a side in the top 3, do they get so much flak?

For the record, i rate Lee and hope he signs a new contract.

agreed peacock is a good striker and our top scorer all this done

through injury like i have said i don't care if he misses 10 easy chances

as long as 1 goes in ie the stockport game as 3 points count, now with thorpe

yeah ok he was a good striker but had a sulky attitute towards his fellow

players when things didn't go his way...

Archived