IGNORED

Players Tunnel For Season 2006/2007

GeoTheCiderHead

As I understand it, when the new East End is built away fans will be situated in the Atyeo Stand. Our tunnel at the moment sees the players running out from the Atyeo Stand so in season 06/07 the players will be running out from the away end - not very common nowadays, most players run out from the home end. Would it be more appropriate to re-open the old players tunnel in the Williams Stand or shall we still run out from the Atyeo Stand? Your thoughts please......

As I understand it, when the new East End is built away fans will be situated in the Atyeo Stand.  Our tunnel at the moment sees the players running out from the Atyeo Stand so in season 06/07 the players will be running out from the away end - not very common nowadays, most players run out from the home end.  Would it be more appropriate to re-open the old players tunnel in the Williams Stand or shall we still run out from the Atyeo Stand?  Your thoughts please......

I wouldn't mind to be honest. I believe Mansfield have a tunnel at the away end and it looked ok.

If putting the away fans in the Williams works out OK next season, the arrangement may well become permanent.

Would make sense, no moving around for a second season running, away fans near coaches and no return to scrapping in the park, no need to put 2 huge fences in the Atyeo and best facilities for City fans at both ends.

The thought of Millwall, Cardiff, Wolves etc. fans being housed within spitting distance of Dolman A Block doesn't really bear thinking about.

I think that home fans will still occupy the tunnel part of the atyeo and the away fans will be in the far part nearest the Dolman.

Well that's not what Colin & Steve have said. As I understand it the Atyeo will be given over exclusively to away fans for most games. Home fans would only be admitted as overflow - as per the east end in recent years.

If putting the away fans in the Williams works out OK next season, the arrangement may well become permanent.

Would make sense, no moving around for a second season running, away fans near coaches and no return to scrapping in the park, no need to put 2 huge fences in the Atyeo and best facilities for City fans at both ends.

The thought of Millwall, Cardiff, Wolves etc. fans  being housed within spitting distance of Dolman A Block doesn't really bear thinking about.

What you say makes very good sense, but when you state "the arrangement may well become permanent", is that just your opinion? I haven't read anything from the club to suggest this.

I don't mind it just means the players won't have to look at the away fans when getting ready in the tunnel.

I think you will find though that Mansfield switched the home fans to the tunnel end because of trouble so the only team I can think of now with a tunnel at the away end is Burnley.

Well that's not what Colin & Steve have said. As I understand it the Atyeo will be given over exclusively to away fans for most games. Home fans would only be admitted as overflow - as per the east end in recent years.

What you say makes very good sense, but when you state "the arrangement may well become permanent", is that just your opinion? I haven't read anything from the club to suggest this.

It IS just my opinion City Rocker.

However i raised the above points/concerns, plus several others, in a letter to the SL forum a few months ago.

His reply indicated that i had raised several potential problems that hadn't been fully considered up to that point and if all went well in the Williams next season there may be little reason to change things again.

He certainly gave the impression he was thinking seriously about it so the switch to the Williams could indeed become permanent.

No more than that i'm afraid, although i've yet to see anyone put forward a strong case FOR moving the away fans to the Atyeo.

I think you will find though that Mansfield switched the home fans to the tunnel end because of trouble so the only team I can think of now with a tunnel at the away end is Burnley.

Pretty sure Barnsley players run out from the bottom corner of the away stand. I've been there twice so if I'm wrong someone please shoot me, becuase I must be seeing things!

Archived