IGNORED

Bowyer Protest

charisma_cider

The proposed move of Lee Bowyer to Birmingham collapsed because the fans held an online petetion against his move to St.Andrews, this petition couldn't have been signed by more than 1,000 fans surely due to it being unofficial, so I can't see why a small minority who seem to think they have taken the moral high ground saying "we don't want bad boys at our club" may have cost others the chance to watch a player of Lee Bowyer's ability at their club. ( I'm assuming the petition was only a small section and David Sullivan does state that it was only a small minority ) I don't think that this "minority" can have the right to dictate an issue such as this, or for a decision to be finalised without consultation of the entire fan base, much like Steve L did with the choosing of the badge. Instead of disregarding the new idea straight away, it was put on the website in the form of a poll for the entire fan base to have their say on, and I believe it worked. Would you be angry if a small minority formed an online petetion to block the move of a good callibre player to Ashton Gate? I know fans are supposed to have their say, but isn't this a step too far?

The Blues fans I know are all delighted that the move has collapsed.

The people that organised it can be mighty proud that they've stopped their club from giving Lee Bowyer in excess of £7m over the proposed three years of his contract.

Well done Bluenoses, keep right on to the end of the road, etc, etc, blah, blah,....

I understand that Bowyer is a tit but Bruce is a great manager and I'm sure he can get the best out of his players. Hes a great man manager and with Pennant there I'm sure he could cope with another player with past problems. Someone has to give him a chance.

Pennant doesn't have past problems - he's in the mire again after a punch up on his hols according to the rags. Flying back early for talks with his chairman allegedly.

I don't think Bruce is that good at handling players who are hundreds of miles away with 20 mates on holiday.

Last thing he needs is another one.

I guess that some players just carry a bad name around them which never goes away. Some managers are better at handling problem players than others.

Wonder if our Doc will fit into that category??

I understand that Bowyer is a tit but Bruce is a great manager and I'm sure he can get the best out of his players. Hes a great man manager and with Pennant there I'm sure he could cope with another player with past problems. Someone has to give him a chance.

It isn't a question of getting the best out of Bowyer - his like can rot in hell for all I care - if I was a Brum fan I wouldn't want my cash in his pocket either!

I know pennant has had a jail sentance for drink-driving But maybe people deserve a second chance but Bowyer has been guilty of TWO searious offences and i'm sorry but scum like that should be allowed nowhere near another football club (role modles for chilrden). If I were a Birmingham fan I would like him nowhere near my club and fully support the 4/500 odd who signed the petition for him not to sign. Maybe the overpaid p**ck should take a long look at himself and wonder why certain club's fans do not want him to join. There is no room for people like him in football

I don't think that this "minority" can have the right to dictate an issue such as this, or for a decision to be finalised without consultation of the entire fan base, much like Steve L did with the choosing of the badge. Instead of disregarding the new idea straight away, it was put on the website in the form of a poll for the entire fan base to have their say on, and I believe it worked.

So when did Steve L consult the entire fan base, cos i cant remember it? OTIB has a registered membership of 3,286 and that includes fans from other clubs. Now bearing in mind we had about 9,000 season ticket holders last season, then at best one third were consulted but in reality it was probably more like 10%. I know plenty of fans who knew nothing about it until the Evil post printed about the forum being unhappy about it.

I know pennant has had a jail sentance for drink-driving But maybe people deserve a second chance but Bowyer has been guilty of TWO searious offences and i'm sorry but scum like that should be allowed nowhere near another football club (role modles for chilrden). If I were a Birmingham fan I would like him nowhere near my club and fully support the 4/500 odd who signed the petition for him not to sign. Maybe the overpaid p**ck should take a long look at himself and wonder why certain club's fans do not want him to join. There is no room for people like him in football

Well said!

Just as a matter of interest what are the two serious offences that Bowyer has been gulity of? Are you talking on or off the field?

How many other players are there out there that are in the same calibre of Bowyer?

Bet theres lots that we don't even know about.

True - all the more reason to let those you do know about know that what they stand for is unacceptable (IHMO)

the minute clubs and players start to take notice of petitions on fans websites then it will be a sad day, can they not see this type of thing is open to abuse and sabotage. If Birmingham were to say attempt to buy Thierry Henry whats to stop 1000 Villa fans from registering to say we don"t want him because he is French and black, how do they know all those who petitioned support the club.

yours alan lovist.

Guest Tactical Genius
I know pennant has had a jail sentance for drink-driving But maybe people deserve a second chance

Or a third chance in the case of Pennant. He went to jail because he was disqualified. He was disqualified because he was already banned for drink driving.

How stupid do you need to be to get in a car whilst over the limit knowing that you are already banned for the same offence.

If any group of people can afford to get a taxi whilst intoxicated it is Premiership footballers.

Would you feel the same if he had hit a person instead of a lamppost?

Guest Tactical Genius

In the case of Bowyer, I think it is just an easy get-out for Birmingham. There are other underlying reasons why the deal broke down.

Just as a matter of interest what are the two serious offences that Bowyer has been gulity of?  Are you talking on or off the field?

When Bowyer was just a 17 year-old rookie with Charlton, he and 2 friends decided to make a late night visit to a fast-food restaurant in the East End of London.

Unhappy with the ethnicity of the Asian member of staff who was unfortunate to serve them, Bowyer and his mates not only hurled racist abuse, but chairs too. The 3 were convicted of affray.

Of course he and Woodgate were exonerated of all charges of assault against an Asian Student outside a Leeds nightclub in their 2002 retrial, but the subsequent fall-out meant that loathsome Lee was transferred to West Ham for £100,000 in early 2003. This was shortly before the Elland Road club announced an annual loss of £17.8M for the year 02/03.

This wasn't helped by the fact that Leeds missed out on a £9M windfall, when Bowyer's proposed transfer to Liverpool collapsed in July 2002 after the Reds then manager, Gerrard Houllier accused the player of not having the desire to play for the Anfield club during lengthy contract negotiations.

So you see, not only is loathsome Lee temperamental, arrogant and violent, he's also a prime example of a greedy selfish git typified by the "Greed is Good League".

Well done Birmingham fans, you deserve a medal for avoiding this prat.

But he is a bloody good player who could do a very good job for Birmingham. The vast majority of Brum fans will recognise that fact.

This aint a popularity contest and taking the moral high ground could see their team struggling.

Whilst I don't personally like his character, I would welcome him into our team anytime - but only one of his type !

Could not agree more, Stupid Brum have cut their nose off to spite their face, nice move by the PC brigade Bluenose's, hope they get religated tbh.

Could not agree more, Stupid Brum have cut their nose off to spite their face, nice move by the PC brigade Bluenose's, hope they get religated tbh.

As I've said above, all the Bluenoses I know are well pleased that they've not landed themselves with Bowyer. Are you honestly suggesting that if you were a Blues fan you'd be happy to pay Bowyer £45k a week at a time when the average working class Brummie is being priced out of going to St Andrews?

If Birmingham get relegated (and with Forsell and Heskey up front I see no reason why they should) it'll be more to do with the fact that they're still relying on Kenny Cunningham to hold their defence together,.

But he is a bloody good player who could do a very good job for Birmingham. The vast majority of Brum fans will recognise that fact.

This aint a popularity contest and taking the moral high ground could see their team struggling.

Whilst I don't personally like his character, I would welcome him into our team anytime - but only one of his type !

I'm afraid that Mr B could start an agument in an empty graveyard and makes Tommy Doherty look saintly in comparison. What Lee needs is some firm guidance from the PFA, including anger-management counselling and a hefty dose of ritalin.

He was offered 28k a week - a 20k per week drop in salary which he was willing to do to make a fresh start. He is a high class player with a lot of baggage. But he's the sort of player on the pitch who can make a very very big contribution to Brum staing in the premiership.  Bruce knows that and will do all he can to revive the deal.

The moral argument re footballers obscene salaries is neither here nor there. He'd be coming from a more depressed area than Birmingham and it's fans for Christs sake !

Ignoring the moral argument do you think the team below is likely to be in a relegation struggle against the likes of West Ham and Sunderland?

Maik Taylor

Mario Melchiot

Matthew Upson

Kenny Cunningham

Jamie Clapham

Damien Johnson

David Dunn

Muzzy Izzet

Jermaine Pennant

Emile Heskey

Mikael Forssell

For the very few positives that Lee Bowyer brings (and I'm struggling to think of many), there are so many potential off the field problems which cant be ignored that have haunted him since he first started out at Charlton.

He was offered 28k a week - a 20k per week drop in salary which he was willing to do to make a fresh start.

Yeah but who needs 20k a week.

Sorry but it makes me sick that footballers in the premiership have such inflated wages these days!

Off topic but whoopee doo, he was going to take a 20k drop, but he still cant possibly spend 28 grand in a week!!!!

Dollymarie

The proposed move of Lee Bowyer to Birmingham collapsed because the fans held an online petetion against his move to St.Andrews, this petition couldn't have been signed by more than 1,000 fans surely due to it being unofficial, so I can't see why a small minority who seem to think they have taken the moral high ground saying "we don't want bad boys at our club" may have cost others the chance to watch a player of Lee Bowyer's ability at their club. ( I'm assuming the petition was only a small section and David Sullivan does state that it was only a small minority ) I don't think that this "minority" can have the right to dictate an issue such as this, or for a decision to be finalised without consultation of the entire fan base, much like Steve L did with the choosing of the badge. Instead of disregarding the new idea straight away, it was put on the website in the form of a poll for the entire fan base to have their say on, and I believe it worked. Would you be angry if a small minority formed an online petetion to block the move of a good callibre player to Ashton Gate? I know fans are supposed to have their say, but isn't this a step too far?

Infact I'm fairly sure that it was Bowyer himself that cancelled the move - not Birmingham. This was due to fearing he would be 'unpopular' after getting wind of the fans reaction to his signing. Sullivan and Bruce have both gone on record since the signing fell through as saying they would have liked to sign him and were unhappy with the fans interventions.

They need to remember that it is the fans club above all else. Personally, I wouldn't want a player with Bowyers proven attitude - both on and off the pitch - anywhere near a City shirt. His quality on the pitch is irelevant - his attitude is the sort that takes clubs backwards with dressing room rifts. He's hardly set the world alight at Newcastle since his move there, Liverpool didn't want him because of his attitude, Leeds were forced to sell him for pennies becasue no-one else wanted him. Anyone else seeing a pattern here?

city.gif

Infact I'm fairly sure that it was Bowyer himself that cancelled the move - not Birmingham.  This was due to fearing he would be 'unpopular' after getting wind of the fans reaction to his signing.  Sullivan and Bruce have both gone on record since the signing fell through as saying they would have liked to sign him and were unhappy with the fans interventions.

They need to remember that it is the fans club above all else.  Personally, I wouldn't want a player with Bowyers proven attitude - both on and off the pitch - anywhere near a City shirt.  His quality on the pitch is irelevant - his attitude is the sort that takes clubs backwards with dressing room rifts.  He's hardly set the world alight at Newcastle since his move there, Liverpool didn't want him because of his attitude, Leeds were forced to sell him for pennies becasue no-one else wanted him.  Anyone else seeing a pattern here?

city.gif

Not forgetting the fact that after one training session, Sven decided he wasn't worth the bother also.

I'm afraid that Mr B could start an agument in an empty graveyard and makes Tommy Doherty look saintly in comparison. What Lee needs is some firm guidance from the PFA, including anger-management counselling and a hefty dose of ritalin.

Oh you pretty things don't you know that you're driving your mama's and papa's insane

Archived