IGNORED

Smith New Deal= No Centre Back

Alex_BCFC

According to the Western Daily Press, Tinnion is now not looking to get another centre back as he thinks Carey can fill in if needed. Personally I think this is a very bad move. Smith is a liability for me and Carey isn't too great in central defence compared to right back. Our defence and left wing worries me greatly.

Guest Tactical Genius

Smith is not a liability per se. He was personally responsible for losing us less points last season than someone popular, say Danny Coles, but his mistakes get magnified because some of the more vocal forum members don't like him.

There are plenty of central defenders at the club, the fact that most of them are lightweight is a concern, but that's what you get for going down the academy route.

I would also see the signing of Stewart on big money as more of a hindrance to the recruitment of the central defender that we need, rather than the new offer taken up by Smith.

Smith is not a liability per se. He was personally responsible for losing us less points last season than someone popular, say Danny Coles, but his mistakes get magnified because some of the more vocal forum members don't like him.

There are plenty of central defenders at the club, the fact that most of them are lightweight is a concern, but that's what you get for going down the academy route.

I would also see the signing of Stewart on big money as more of a hindrance to the recruitment of the central defender that we need, rather than the new offer taken up by Smith.

Spot on TG, I would also add that Smith adds some much needed nastiness to our back line, something we are lacking in across the park.

This seems fair enough to me, as long as Coles is going to stay and play to his potential.

Carey gives us cover there and I would also like to see Skuse played at the back more often.

How about this?

................Phillips

......Coles..Skuse..Heywood

Carey...Brown..Russell....Smith (G)

..............Wilkshire

............Lita..Stewart

How about this?

................Phillips

..............Wilkshire

Looks good to me, though I'm not sure that Tins rates Wilkshire enough to make him an automatic choice and would think Brooker or Cotterill a more likely starter in that formation

Guest hairyshamrock

Good points about Wilkshire and Stewart, and its interesting to see someone saying that Smith adds a little nastiness to the side. However, i feel that defensivly the lad is a loose cannon. He's so loose that if he were a bird, you'd fancy your chances on a first date...

He is good going forward, but i always worry when i see him run back towards his own goal. I think his reputation on this stems from his poor start at the club when he got involved in that scrap in the first couple of games of last season and gave away a penalty away from home. I agree that Coles was poor last season and has more reason for the boot than Smith, but on last seasons showing, i wouldn't offer either of them new contracts!

Carey can go forward, support the winger, and defensively is (i'll whisper it - almost) sound. Definately my first choice above both Coles and DEFINATELY Smith...

Providing we have no serious injuries and everyone is happy i think we just about have enough defenders....just.

I would not say no to another, say Nelson? but it would not be hard to bring in a loan signings if injuries become a longterm problem for us.

I would like to see Coles and Heywood partner is central defence, providing DC is mentally up to it.

Goldbourne and Smith fullbacks, with Carey on the bench.

Providing we have no serious injuries and everyone is happy i think we just about have enough defenders....just.

I would not say no to another, say Nelson? but it would not be hard to bring in a loan signings if injuries become a longterm problem for us.

I would like to see Coles and Heywood partner is central defence, providing DC is mentally up to it.

Goldbourne and Smith fullbacks, with Carey on the bench.

Smith in the team abobe Carey- surely you are joking Evo?

Smith in the team abobe Carey- surely you are joking Evo?

I know it sounds weird, Carey is a great player and if Smith was not given the captains armband i would have them the other way round.

I could be wrong, but Smith "is" the skipper for next season right, or is this undecided?

Whats the point in having captain who don't play?

dunno.gif

I think that this is the problem for next season with the new changes in the transfer system. Clubs won't be so willing to allow their players to leave on loan because they won't be able to sign anyone else if injuries occur.

I know it sounds weird, Carey is a great player and if Smith was not given the captains armband i would have them the other way round.

I could be wrong, but Smith "is" the skipper for next season right, or is this undecided?

Whats the point in having captain who don't play?

dunno.gif

I'd rather have the 'captain' on the bench than see him play! Can't he be 'club captain'? or something equally useless.

I think that this is the problem for next season with the new changes in the transfer system. Clubs won't be so willing to allow their players to leave on loan because they won't be able to sign anyone else if injuries occur.

Good point! doh.gif Anyone got a link or can explain to me how the new transfer system will change things?

Guest Tactical Genius
Good point!  doh.gif  Anyone got a link or can explain to me how the new transfer system will change things?

It will halve BristolBoys posts.

You can't rule out 100% the posibilty of Coles or the Doc being given the armband, or am i just chatting crap?  farmer.gif

I think both can be ruled out 100%.

Coles took the armband on occasions last season when Doherty went off and was less than inspirational. He's got alot to prove from day one this season just to get a regular place.

Doherty seems very unlikely to even play for City again.

Guest Eamer
This seems fair enough to me, as long as Coles is going to stay and play to his potential.

Carey gives us cover there and I would also like to see Skuse played at the back more often.

How about this?

................Phillips

..............Wilkshire

Phillips

Carey Coles Heywood Golbourne

Anyinsah Wilkshire Skuse G.Smith

Lita Stewart

Jamie Smith is a liability, in the 14 games he didn't appear in last season we only lost 1, and those that we did win when he wasn't playing were some of our best results of the season because we pulled out results that weren't expected because of poor form etc.

Smith has very poor positional sense, he pushes himself too far up the pitch permanently, and the number of easy crosses that players are able to get in from his area of the pitch is very high. He gives very little protection to the centre backs by not defending wingers properly, and very rarely will be able to assist in dealing with strikers when required. He is very short, and when you look at all the solid defences in this division it is better to have all defenders over 6ft to deal with the balls launched forward.

He is useless going forward, cannot cross, is not very good at overlapping etc. Compared to Carey going forward where even though Carey's cross is not the best at least he is able to run at defenders and take them out of positions by making runs.

Smith gave away a few needless penaltys aswell which cost points in the long term.

Also when smith does play his long balls up the pitch that Tinnion likes the team to play they are without much power or directions, because smith seems to lack any real technique in kicking the ball properly.

I was very hopeful that he would leave us over the summer but now he is part of our squad and I am not looking forward to him playing.

The money spent on his wages I believe would have been much better spent on other players.

Jamie Smith is a liability, in the 14 games he didn't appear in last season we only lost 1, and those that we did win when he wasn't playing were some of our best results of the season because we pulled out results that weren't expected because of poor form etc.

Smith has very poor positional sense, he pushes himself too far up the pitch permanently, and the number of easy crosses that players are able to get in from his area of the pitch is very high. He gives very little protection to the centre backs by not defending wingers properly, and very rarely will be able to assist in dealing with strikers when required. He is very short, and when you look at all the solid defences in this division it is better to have all defenders over 6ft to deal with the balls launched forward.

He is useless going forward, cannot cross, is not very good at overlapping etc. Compared to Carey going forward where even though Carey's cross is not the best at least he is able to run at defenders and take them out of positions by making runs.

Smith gave away a few needless penaltys aswell which cost points in the long term.

Also when smith does play his long balls up the pitch that Tinnion likes the team to play they are without much power or directions, because smith seems to lack any real technique in kicking the ball properly.

I was very hopeful that he would leave us over the summer but now he is part of our squad and I am not looking forward to him playing.

The money spent on his wages I believe would have been much better spent on other players.

Yep, tend to agree here.

And I wonder if the club were expecting him to go elsewhere?

I reckon he will struggle to get his place ahead of Carey.

BT says his strengths are in the dressing room - says it all !

Archived