IGNORED

Top 6 City Players All Time

city1uk

In today's Sunday Independent Richard Latham concluded his choice of the top six Bristol City players (of living memory).

These are in no order:

Mike Gibson

Clive Whitehead

John Atyeo

Alan Walsh

Andy Cole

Paul Cheesley

All greats but surely there must be a place for the following three:

Norman Hunter

Jacki

Bob Taylor

Your top six?

Guest Eamer
Joe Burnell

Christian Roberts

Clayton Fortune

Craig Woodman

Mickey Bell

Steve Jones

blink.gif

those have been some of the worst i've seen...

Best in My Living Memory

Paul Agostino

Brian Tinnion

Shaun Taylor

Shaun Goater

Ade Akinbiyi

Greg Goodridge

Couldn't believe that Latham left out Hunter and Gow out of his six.

As for the guy who said Dziekanowski, you must be joking. he played around 35 games for us, which is hardly enough to be considered and contributed virtually nothing in any of them away from home.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

I would have Geoff Merrick and Brian Tinnion in there. Tinnion may even be the best I've seen at his best.

Couldn't believe that Latham left out Hunter and Gow out of his six.

As for the guy who said Dziekanowski, you must be joking. he played around 35 games for us, which is hardly enough to be considered and contributed virtually nothing in any of them away from home.

apart from the Motty's 'different planet' game at Leicester.

bit harsh on the pole

What I want to know is that if people in Poland are called Poles, why aren't people in Holland called holes?

devil.gif

Guest eagleboy
HOW ON EARTH COULD GERRY GOW NOT BE IN ANYBODIES TOP SIX...????

The other five ARE

Paul Cheesley

Dariuscz Diekanowski

Garry Collier

John Atyeo

Chris Garland

From a 42 year span since watching/supporting, my top six in their significance to the club:John Ateyo,Chris Garland,Geff Merrick,Gerry Gow,Alan Walsh,& Garry Shelton.

Latham's selections are all valid,but how a few others could be ahead of Gerry Gow is mystifying? The passage of time has only enforced how supremely important Gow was in the overall performance of the team.During that last season in the 1st, he was hampered by injury/fitness levels,with him at 100% we were a totally different proposition.

Since that period ,I've only witnessed one player,Gary Shelton, to have a similar bearing upon a complete teams overall performance.I guess you could term them "catalyst" players.

P.S. If I could have another six: Paul Cheesley,Bob Taylor,Rob Newman,Mike Gibson,Gerry Sweeney,Tom Ritchie.

From a 42 year span since watching/supporting, my top six in their significance to the club:John Ateyo,Chris Garland,Geff Merrick,Gerry Gow,Alan Walsh,& Garry Shelton.

Latham's selections are all valid,but how a few others could be ahead of Gerry Gow is mystifying? The passage of time has only enforced how supremely important Gow was in the overall performance of the team.During that last season in the 1st, he was hampered by injury/fitness levels,with him at 100% we were a totally different proposition.

Since that period ,I've only witnessed one player,Gary Shelton, to have a similar bearing upon a complete teams overall performance.I guess you could term them "catalyst" players.

P.S. If I could have another six: Paul Cheesley,Bob Taylor,Rob Newman,Mike Gibson,Gerry Sweeney,Tom Ritchie.

Too young at 41 to have seen Atyeo or Garland in his prime, but completely agree with the rest.

A couple of who were out on Friday night got to reminiscing as to what an inspiration Shelton was on the 89/90 team, oh, for a signing like that in centre midfield.

As for Dziekanowski, one good performance once in a cup tie away from home doesn't make you a City great in my book.

The other five ARE

Paul Cheesley

Dariuscz Diekanowski

Garry Collier

John Atyeo

Chris Garland

Redoxo,

Good to see you mention Garry Collier. I often wonder why he doesn't feature in fans' top City players as he was a superb defender ( and exactly what we need now)

I spoke to Garry Collier yesterday as he is my dads cousin.He is all good he is just came back to Bristol for a few weeks as he now teaches kids in America.He still trys to find out how City does every week over there, I would like to also say yesterday he went down the ground to show his wife as she has never seen the ground before, He seemed amazed of Ashton Gate. I never got to see him as a player but my Dad went and seen him every week and said he was a good player.He leaves to go back to America Friday so i hope to see him again before he leaves.

Tom

Guest North Street

The other five ARE

Paul Cheesley

Dariuscz Diekanowski

Garry Collier

John Atyeo

Chris Garland

Gow chant6ez.gif

Archived