IGNORED

Same Old Situation

Andy Horsman

ranting.gif

I looked forward to getting the replica '76 shirts and duly bought both, whilst purchasing my season ticket. I have yet to wear the old away top, because the home top, was a bad enough experience. The red ran,into the white colour, on a normal wash, the shirt seems held together by loads of trailing pieces of thread and once washed, the shirt was misshappen.Bang goes £25.

In addition, the new replica home kit retailing @ 40 notes, is even worse than previous efforts in terms of quality, thin material, with a manky logo for the sponsors and equally well finished as the '76 shirt.

I am City through and through and buy a lot of clothing to show my support and boost the club's coffers, but football clubs have a responsibility to their consumers to produce garments worth buying.

I am well disappointed as, like most fans, the arrival of the new shirt is a thrilling part of the build up (especially as this will be our championship season)

I would never advocate any embargo or support such action, but believe that as consumers, and more importantly loyal supporters, we should not be fobbed off with rags.

I agree with your sentiments. I've not bought the replica 76 shirt but I'm sorry to hear about the quality. You are entitled to feel that your purchase should give you more than the feeling that you're simply donating to the Club.

mate, the shirts are thin because they are replica shirts - as in the ones the players use when running round for 20 minutes or so...

Wear a t shirt underneath it, shut the moaning. Its the best City shirt we have had for a good few years, i love the meshy kind of detailing on it, its a bit short, but hey - its a city shirt and my money has gone into the club i love.

Guest east_dundry_red
mate, the shirts are thin because they are replica shirts - as in the ones the players use when running round for 20 minutes or so...

Wear a t shirt underneath it, shut the moaning.  Its the best City shirt we have had for a good few years, i love the meshy kind of detailing on it, its a bit short, but hey - its a city shirt and my money has gone into the club i love.

Mate the players shirts are no better. The forum team have worn them for games agaist the gas they they are no different.

Wellyredhead, I agree with you i purchased the White Retro 76 , washed it with whites, is now mishapen, as for the new home shirts, bought three for myself and kids, all 3 are snagged , pulled threads etc, Quality poor.Oh well Hope away shirt is different material, otherwise people may be more inclined not to buy it.

Guest Bub The Zombie

why cant we have umbro or nike or someone like that?

a club like ours should have quality stuff not the rubbish that we have had to put up with for the past couple of seasons ranting.gif

my kids city shirt from last year was totally pants ranting.gif

and although i hold judgement on this years cos i aint seen it yet, i don't hold much hope for it sad.gif

Sad to hear this again really. I was put off buying last years kits due to tales of poor quality and only finally succumbed when they were half price buy one get one free at the end of the season.

I have to say the quality of the ones i got was poor but assumed it was cause i got the end of season cheap 'slightly seconds's' shirts and only having effectively paid a tenner each for them wasn't overly bothered.

If i'd paid full whack last year and then again this year for such poor quality i'd be very annoyed - and there really is no excuse for it given the prices they are charging. I also own a lot of italian club shirts and have chelseas away shirt from last year and the quality on the is superb at the same price - from 2 or 3 'brand' manufacturers - who make the effort because their reputation may just depend on it.

I do almost feel like its cutting corners on quality to maximise profits for the club (which in principle i'm not against) but when the quality does appear to be so poor for an expensive garment it does start to look like we're being taken for a ride.

How can u say this is one of the best kits in years?  It's minging and gets worse when viewed up close.

Because I'm a young 'un - and I know fashion.

When I saw it on the web, I didnt like it, but seeing it in the shop (as I was just about to buy a retro top) with the meshy detailing, I actually really liked it and decided to buy a replica shirt.

Sorry, but thats my opinion! Last years shirt was nice, but the sizing was awful - and the collar was too tight - at least this years shirt kinda fits ok!

The point I'm trying to get across is they are thin because they are replica shirts. The are meant to be exactly the same as those worn by the players, thin, breathable and lightweight - as players need this whilst running round for 90 mins.

People are making the point of " a club like ours should have Nike" - I'm sorry but don't make me laugh.

The profit margins are all to see - its a major income for the club.

Manufacturers like Nike and Puma would not touch our shirts with a barge pole - as it is simply not worth their time, plus the club would be making very little form every shirt sold. We are not Chelsea, and our shirts are not for sale all over the UK in JJB. This means we have a very local audience, which results in us having to sadly cut corners.

Even though I'm not saying its the right way to do things, its the only way. I think a lot more consultation with the fans should be done in the future though - hopefully the new Fans action group will have a say in designs.

We are not Chelsea, and our shirts are not for sale all over the UK in JJB.  This means we have a very local audience, which results in us having to sadly cut corners.

Even though I'm not saying its the right way to do things, its the only way.  I think a lot more consultation with the fans should be done in the future though - hopefully the new Fans action group will have a say in designs.

I understand your point of view about maximising profit but I don't feel that overcharging for a replica shirt is the best way to maximise profits. It can make people feel like they're being taken for a ride.

At £40 a shirt it is £10 more expensive than many replica shirts offered by better named manufacturers and probably about £30 overpriced relative to other garments of similar quality (non-replica shirts). Personally I'd prefer to see £30 a shirt and a mechanism for those fans who want to make donations to the Club if they're feeling charitable. That way, those with the inclination and the spare cash can still help the club make up its profits, more people will buy at the lower ticket price, and no-one feels like they're being taken advantage of.

Archived