IGNORED

Time For A Continental Scout?

numbeast

Should the board look at employing a scout to check out our continental neighbours? I'm sure there are some talented youngsters playing in the lower leagues of French German and Scandinavian leagues we could pick up on the cheap.

I'm not sure about the transfer rules abroad but if the likes of PNE can sign our talented youth player perhaps we should be more aggressive in our search for quality players. I'm sure that there are players in Europe that would jump at the chance of playing in England even if only to showcase their talent for the bigger clubs to notice. And what young player wouldn't want to come to the bright lights of Brizzle

Guest Simonty
Should the board look at employing a scout to check out our continental neighbours?

Yes if they haven't already. That's a good idea, and foreign players could be cheap and have good potential. The only problem is trying to settle them into England and a different culture. Maybe best to scout around Britain more?

Stoke sacked Tony Pulis so that they could exploit the foreign market, obviously they felt it was the answer to their problems. Depending on the costs, it seems like a good idea on paper as long as the board make sure they get the right man and not one who;s likely to be a slacker and just take the money without putting in much effort.

Good idea for a championship club but harder to get real quality to come and play in the English 3rd division I think... Unless you've got one damn busy scout who's looking at the lower league teams as all the La Liga, Sieira A, Bundesliga kids will already be scouted by the other top leagues in Europe...

You've then got to find the real gems that haven't been spotted yet either in their own country or by another top team...

Also the the language and relocation problems to consider...

Probably better if we focus on the UK and Ireland for now...

Go on then, name me a foreign player who has been a success with us?

Possibly Jan Moller, who was definitely one of the best keepers to play for City in my 30 years, but who couldn't have been here at a worse time, he did get plenty of practice though.

I'm sure some of you will trot out the Dziekanowski myth again, you know, the guy we sold a bloke who went on to score 200 more league goals (Bob Taylor) in order to buy, and who managed a massive 8 for us, stood around with his hands on his hips away from home and was so good he then moved to the heights of the German Second Division.

We lost £250k on him, even more on Sebok and also made losses on both Andersens, I liked Testimitanu a lot and felt that injuries aside he could have done a job, but this was probably because he was a British style player anyway.

If you go back to the top flight Meijer, Jantunen etc didn't last long and then we have Ray Atteveld, who was a disaster of Dinning like proportions.

How about we stick to the home market? at least if you make a mistake there is every possibility of a Port Vale taking them off your hands.

Stoke sacked Tony Pulis so that they could exploit the foreign market, obviously they felt it was the answer to their problems. Depending on the costs, it seems like a good idea on paper as long as the board make sure they get the right man and not one who;s likely to be a slacker and just take the money without putting in much effort.

Stoke sacked Pullis because he didnt exploit the icelandic market. I'm not a Pulis fan, but i think he was treated badly by Stoke - they didnt sack him for football reasons (stoke didnt have a bad season did they ?), they sacked him because he fell out with the board.

Guest cider_kirk
Go on then, name me a foreign player who has been a success with us?

Possibly Jan Moller, who was definitely one of the best keepers to play for City in my 30 years, but who couldn't have been here at a worse time, he did get plenty of practice though.

I'm sure some of you will trot out the Dziekanowski myth again, you know, the guy we sold a bloke who went on to score 200 more league goals (Bob Taylor) in order to buy, and who managed a massive 8 for us, stood around with his hands on his hips away from home and was so good he then moved to the heights of the German Second Division.

We lost £250k on him, even more on Sebok and also made losses on both Andersens, I liked Testimitanu a lot and felt that injuries aside he could have done a job, but this was probably because he was a British style player anyway.

If you go back to the top flight Meijer, Jantunen etc didn't last long and then we have Ray Atteveld, who was a disaster of Dinning like proportions.

How about we stick to the home market? at least if you make a mistake there is every possibility of a Port Vale taking them off your hands.

Luke Wilkshire

Luke Wilkshire

Good point and it occured to me after my post that you could have said Goater, Agostino or Brennan, too.

This may not be PC but in football terms I don't see "foreigners" such as Wilkshire, Goater or Brennan who all come from Commonwealth countries in the same light at all.

Goater was at Rotherham before us and Luke at Boro, hardly difficult settling in after that, is it? especially when you are a native English speaker, too.

Archived