IGNORED

Luther Vandross

cider head

Luther Vandross, the smooth-voiced R&B "Love Doctor," died Friday two years

after suffering a stroke. He was 54.

Vandross died at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, N.J., but no cause of death was given.

The eight-time Grammy winner was to the '80s what soul crooner Barry White was to the '70s, a romantic balladeer who connected with millions. Vandross' greatest musical triumph came after his April 2003 stroke, when his "Dance With My Father" debuted No. 1 on the pop charts, selling 2 million copies. The album also earned Vandross three Grammys including song of the year for the title track. He won another Grammy for "The Closer I Get to You," a remake of the Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway duet that he recorded with Houston R&B star Beyonce for her solo debut.

But Vandross wasn't fully able to enjoy those successes. He suffered a severe stroke on April 16, 2003, in his Manhattan home, and spent nearly two months in intensive care. He also battled diabetes for years.

Vandross made an unexpected recovery, regaining his speech by that August.

At the Grammys in 2004, Vandross gave a videotaped acceptance speech from a wheelchair saying, "Remember, when I say goodbye it's never for long." He then broke into his song "Power of Love."

Born April 20, 1951, in the Bronx, Vandross first started getting attention for his soaring tenor in the early '70s as a session vocalist and a commercial pitch-man for the U.S. Army and Burger King.

One of his first big breaks was singing background on David Bowie's 1975 album "Young Americans." Vandross also sang with Bette Midler, Ringo Starr, Donna Summer, Barbra Streisand and Chic.

Vandross debuted as a solo star in 1981 and went to No. 1 on the R&B charts with "Never Too Much." During his career, he sold 25 million albums and recorded a cadre of cherished slow dance and wedding reception standards including hits "Here and Now," "Always and Forever" and "There's Nothing Better Than Love."

R.I.P TO A GREAT SINGER.

Archived