IGNORED

Time To Back London

Percy Parrot

for all Britain's greatness it seems the one thing we are terrible at is all pulling together and working for positive ends.

The London 2004 Olympic bid has been launched. If it is successful it will not only give Britons a superb opportunity to see world class sports but will put Britain in the world spotlight and bring in much money.

Yes the main base will be in London but there will be events around the country including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

We have shown our success at hosting sporting events with Euro 96 and the Commonwealth games but we haven't had a MAJOR world tournament since '66.

It's time to back this bid and let everyone unite to ensure that it is successful.

It's not about London...it's about our country.

Well said.

If London wins will the ground go to a football club after the event, like the City of Manchester Stadium?

I think the footy games to be played outside London would be done so at St James' Park (big game for Exeter! he he) Hampden Park, Windsor Park, Mill Stad, Villa Park, Old Trafford. I may have forgotten another- not too sure.

i would just like to point out that it is the 2012 olympic games britain is hoping to get!

anyway any chance ashton gate (if we are still playing there) could be one of the stadiums used in the football tournament.

here's the website for more information

http://www.london2012.org.uk/english/default.htm

errr...yeah. Durr. That was me being stupid. I meant 2012 :)

I'm probably in the kings norton red camp here. London after all the farces and cock up's of what appear to be fairly simple tasks like wembley, how hard is it to build a stadium ? you are not going to be denied plannig permission, so you haven't that obsticle to get round. Have they even started building the infernal thing yet ?

If people had bothered to look outside that mass of transport chaos that is london, we would have one of the biggest and best football stadiums in the world, with ease of acces, for a fraction of the cost, and nearly finished now. Instead we have orn down one of the biggest symbols of English football, and replaced it with a ######ing arch.

I'm probably in the kings norton red camp here.  London after all the farces and cock up's of what appear to be fairly simple tasks like wembley, how hard is it to build a stadium ?  you are not going to be denied plannig permission, so you haven't that obsticle to get round.  Have they even started building the infernal thing yet ?

If people had bothered to look outside that mass of transport chaos that is london, we would have one of the biggest and best football stadiums in the world, with ease of acces, for a fraction of the cost, and nearly finished now.  Instead we have orn down one of the biggest symbols of English football, and replaced it with a ######ing arch.

transport chaos!?!

London has one of the world's best transport systems. People moan about it all the time but only because they expect it to be perfect. Me and Jono went through 14 different European countries this summer (central and Western Europe)- most cities had about 2 tube lines- not the 13 London has.

London is a MASSIVE city- but you can still get a bus at any time of the night to pretty much anywhere within 10-20 minutes walk of the bus stop.

Most European cities have 1 or 2 main train stations- London has- Victoria, Paddington, Waterloo, St Pancras, Euston, Kings Cross, Charing Cross, Liverpool St, London Bridge- to name just the main ones.

London has 3 MASSIVE airports around it- plus City airport in the middle of it. The tube links places like Uxbridge to Elephant and Castle- Beckton to Richmond (which to prove a point can be done in 3 different ways- including overground train).

There are now tram systems in parts of London too.

Wembley IS now being built- but there were frustrating delays. But the frustrating delays were only people trying to get it right. Without being rude to the people who criticise such things, if you were so good at it, how come you're not doing it?

There is a real problem in this country with actually admitting that anything goes right here. I like to think that I give all countries there due for what they're good at and what they're not so good at. And I am very lucky to have travelled a fair bit- and I can tell you that Britain is one of the most efficient and easiest places to live in and visit in the world. And London is our centre piece. It's not about London anyway- it's about Britain.

Disagree Percy, It is about London and this always is the case, the new national stadium bidding was a joke, everyone knew London would get it no matter what the cost, the best place for our national stadium would have been in the midlands where a stadium would have cost half the price and would have given most of the country hassle free access to it, motorway links are already there from every direction, there are airports close by and rail lnks, the perfect position.

But as ever we are now faced with a new stadium in the busiest city in europe, where the traffic by day comes to a grinding halt, the m25 motorway :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.: which is named europe biggest car park for good reason puts paid to any quick entry or escape from london, Wembley stadium is in a terrible location for those driving there, I wont feel part of any olympic games in London, because London means nothing to me.

If it wasn't about London why wasn't Manchester or Birmingham offered it, see what cost they could do it for, I bet it would shave millions off the total bill which us tax payers will have to cough up, give the money to the pensioners if the government have money to burn, now that would be a worthy cause, lets face it how often does anyone watch athletics anyway, my guess is every 4 years when the olympics is on.

No to the olympics, waste of money!

Archived