IGNORED

Reading Bigger Club Than City ?

headhunter

Why are we losing our best player to Reading, a nothing town off the M4. Like Swindon, would you go there for anything other than a stop on the mainline to London ?

But here they are with brand new stadium, a credible manager and, oh I forgot, a Chairman with shed loads of £££.

Lita's ££ are going to finance the stand that is obivious in my opinion although the actual stand build remains in the balance so it'll be interesting to see where the £ go if it doesn't happen.

Lansdown's money in City is in the most part a loan secured against the ground - he is the banker and earning 2% above base rate when the bank would charge 3%.

If the stand doesn't happen then the £ be used to reduce the club's indebtness to him.

Look at some of the club's who were in this division the last time we wnet up in 97/98 : Fulham, Wigan, Preston, Burnley and Plymouth - ALL HAVE PROGRESSED, WE HAVE NOT !!!!

Guest Royal Ian

You partly answered your own question/point. Those clubs have all got PROMOTED.

It's a step up for him whether you think so or not. He will be playing in better surroundings both training and matchday (home and away) better standard of football and teams, better players and in front of bigger crowds. i'm not claiming us as one of the biggest clubs in our league because we're not. But our club is growing and we are not little Reading anymore (in front of 8000 at Elm Park) and it's about time a few people realised that.

Get Promoted then you will improve and progress like those other teams you've mentioned.

It's a step up for him whether you think so or not. He will be playing in better surroundings both training and matchday (home and away) better standard of football and teams, better players and in front of bigger crowds. i'm not claiming us as one of the biggest clubs in our league because we're not. But our club is growing and we are not little Reading anymore (in front of 8000 at Elm Park) and it's about time a few people realised that.

Get Promoted then you will improve and progress like those other teams you've mentioned.

But City DID get promoted to Div 2 in 97/98. That was the point being made.

The same year Reading got relegated from Div 2, as it happens.

A club is only as big as it's performance, and in the 25 years since we were relegated from the top flight our average league position is 50th!!!

We've had 1 league cup semi final and maybe made the 5th round of the FA. cup a couple of times!!

We have managed to win a mickey mouse trophy a couple of times that is only competed for by lower league teams, and i am sure we would all be ecstatic if we never ever qualified for it again after the new season!!!

We have an adequate old ground that still needs developing on at least 2 sides, but a capacity that is managable for now!!

WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LITTLE PROVINCIAL FOOTBALL CLUB UNLESS WE ALL WAKE UP AND LEARN FROM THE LIKES OF BOLTON,CHARLTON AND EVEN NORWICH, IPSWICH AND YES READING........SUCCESS HAS TO BE EARNED THE HARD WAY, NO ONE WILL GIVE IT TO YOU JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ARE BIG AND DESERVE IT!!!!

When all the hoo hah of the LITA business has died down, everyone needs to get it on board that we all have a part to play and be prepared to get down the GATE and give the kind of support that may help the players on the pitch, whoever they are by then, go out and give the performances that will give us a chance of success, because as the past has proved, it won't happen without it!!!!!

FORGET WHAT WE MIGHT BE, TRY AND BE A PART OF WHAT WE CAN BE!!!

A club is only as big as it's performance, and in the 25 years since we were relegated from the top flight our average league position is 50th!!!

We've had 1 league cup semi final and maybe made the 5th round of the FA. cup a couple of times!!

We have managed to win a mickey mouse trophy a couple of times that is only competed for by lower league teams, and i am sure we would all be ecstatic if we never ever qualified for it again after the new season!!!

We have an adequate old ground that still needs developing on at least 2 sides, but a capacity that is managable for now!!

WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LITTLE PROVINCIAL FOOTBALL CLUB UNLESS WE ALL WAKE UP AND LEARN FROM THE LIKES OF BOLTON,CHARLTON AND EVEN NORWICH, IPSWICH AND YES READING........SUCCESS HAS TO BE EARNED THE HARD WAY, NO ONE WILL GIVE IT TO YOU JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ARE BIG AND DESERVE IT!!!!

When all the hoo hah of the LITA business has died down, everyone needs to get it on board that we all have a part to play and be prepared to get down the GATE and give the kind of support that may help the players on the pitch, whoever they are by then, go out and give the performances that will give us a chance of success, because as the past has proved, it won't happen without it!!!!!

FORGET WHAT WE MIGHT BE, TRY AND BE A PART OF WHAT WE CAN BE!!!

It's nail on the head Time Old Spot and you hit it smack in the middle.

Everything you say is spot on, and although I am a dreamer about City gaining promotion and going onwards and upwards a quick reality check means I see things as you do. Sadly, there are too many blinkered fans who keep confusing big city, with big club. In today's football world we are small fry and as decent players realise that. The longer we stay in this division the smaller fry we will become as the gap between the biggest and the rest just gets bigger and bigger.

We seem to have the money behind us ( Steve L et al are wealthy men) but we just seem to have something missing all the time and that's why Plymouth, QPR, Reading , Boltonn wtc etc keep pasing us by. I don't know what it is that's missing, but sadly nor to the club's top management.

Sad but true.

C'mon let's be real, there is no question as to who is the bigger club between Reading and Bristol City. Being neutral and impartial, its obviously Reading.

Nice Stadium, Championship, More fans compared to Stadium with 3 stands, League One, Less fans.

Lita will acrually be tested in the Championship and we'll see just how good he really is.

Unlucky you only really got a year out of him at your club.

Atleast with Earnshaw we actually got a good few years before we sold him.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Reading are a big club these days, I can say that even with them being fierce rivals of of ours laugh.gif (according to them). They're playing in the league above and pushing for the premiership so they're bigger than any team in this league at the moment.

Guest Were dreamers

razz.gif

they are second division while City are third.

there is no love of a football club apart from their 'OWN' fans, players are there for the money

Its their job

marrigold.gif

If both clubs could be as big as they possibly could, there wouldnt be much in it between us. Reading got lucky, they found someone to invest cash in there team, yes i still remember the Reading that bounced up down between divisions never really getting anywhere.

Until we to get that investment, and i mean a serious amount of cash, (Madejski must of spent a bomb including the stadium) were never going to compete with teams which are now bigger than us, and as much as it pains me to say it....like Reading.

city.gif

... and cardiff  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Least Mr Majeka used his own money and not someone elses though eh.......oh and actually built his stadium and created the revenue streams before spending stupid money on transfer fees and wages.........still horsre's for course's i suppose

To put our recent histrory's in context Reading have twice in the last 10 years or so been in the play offs to get in the premiership we have been 3 times in the play offs to get out of League 1.

Yes they did it with the help of a benefactor and some purists may see this as cheating but frankly thats irrelevant.

Reading are a bigger club than us and will remain so for the forseeable future - the fact that they used to be a smaller rival of ours is again irrelevant.

Ultimately they can offer what we can't - a higher standard of football and more money and that is the bottom line.

Guest REALROYAL

We are a much bigger club..You need to sell all your best players to keep going. So i cant see you ever going up..Id like to see you in the CCC was good game last time you came to our place...

LITA IS A ROYAL URZZZZZZZZZZZ

Archived