IGNORED

Are Agents The Cancer Of The Modern Game

maxjak

I wonder how much influence agents have had in the recent departures of Rosenior, Hill, Anyinsah and now Lita. They are all young impressionable guys who sometimes may not be getting the best advice. Their is not a lot in it financially for these players agents if they stay, but if they move on, well theres a nice percentage for the fat cats. It is in their interests to start tempting these players with promises of riches and new clubs, I am sure it creates discontent, and that most club managers resent their involvement.

Agents don't help, however, everything for me is in Leroy's quoted words.

He wants to go, he intends to go and he is probably going.

Why blame anybody else than the greedy little shi-ite chav gimp-boy who has conveniently forgot what this club and its fans have given him in the last few years?

There's definitely scope for a conflict of interests between a player and his agent. I'd be very very skeptical about taking advice from someone who has a vested interest in me making the choice to move.

IFAs for example are now very heavily regulated and have to tell you what commission they make on the financial products they're offering. Does an agent have to tell a player if they're getting a "brown envelope" from a transfer? I doubt it. The agent always makes more money when there's a move, it must colour the judgement of some (most?) of them.

Agents don't contribute anything at all to the game. You could say the safeguard players but to be honest with the amount of cash being thrown about in football there's no danger of a player being exploited. People like Pini Zahavi actively trying to create transfer deals (Ashley Cole) do nothing to make us think they're of any use.

Clubs must actively hate agents. You either have to pay them alot of cash to make them want to keep you sweet and get the inside track on players, or you have to deal with them frustrating every transfer signing and contract renewal, and trying to persuade the players they represent to move to a more agent friendly club.

They should be much more heavily regulated and the penalties for breaking the rules with dodgy payments or illegal approaches need to be so high as to make it not worth the risk and that means massive since the money involved is huge too.

It's a sad state of affairs, in some ways getting rid of transfer fees altogether and using something like the draft system in US sports appeals to me because it levels the playing field a bit more and stops so much money going to these people, but we don't have the sporting ties to colleges here to support it.

It will be interesting to see how well agents do when the EU puts the boot into transfer fees, it's a question of when not if since they directly contradict EU law and currently only have a stay of execution.

Nibor

Guest MaloneFM

Agents? Cancer of the game? Well paid babysitters more like. Lita goes whining to his agent about the signing of Stewart, how much more money he is on and how many times he will appear instead of him. Leroy thinking he is the new Gary Lineaker and all.

The agent then tries to get reassurances from the club concerning appearances and an upped salary. 'Get stuffed' say the club.

He then goes back to Lita who throws toys out of pram but publicy says he is looking forward to the new season with us to give time for his agent to start to sniff around a bit.

After a sniff the agent comes back to Lita with any possibilities. The agent then begin negotiations for a new deal knowing he has other clubs in his back pocket. He goes back to Lita with the new figures. Lita rejects them. Eventually the club says 'this much and no more'. This is then put to Lita who is not happy thinking he is still the best thing since Robbie Williams.

His agent is instructed to talk to the highest paying club in a bid to up city's offer. City stick to the number offered. They also talk to the front running club and make a cash demand for Lita.

Lita is then stuck. He thinks he is worth more. And he isn't. His agent wants him to stay where he is and have another good season and try to get back into the England team and score. This adds to his value and to the agents comission. Lita still says no and is offended by his valuation.

Which brings us to where we are now. His new club are struggling to meet the fee demanded by city and the salary demanded by Lita. They want him but not at this price.

There's your cancer. Greedy thick footballers who have no idea of the real world.

Guest MaloneFM
You know that do you Malone?

Fool.

Umm...yes I do..sorry and all that. I really don't want to play the 'my source is bigger than your source' game but its from someone who has the same agent as Lita.

Fool back!

It's a sad state of affairs, in some ways getting rid of transfer fees altogether and using something like the draft system in US sports appeals to me because it levels the playing field a bit more and stops so much money going to these people, but we don't have the sporting ties to colleges here to support it.

Embellishment...

* The variance of quality in clubs is FAR larger than in US Sport teams

* Because of this any prospective draftee's entire career could swing on his drafting

* Draft order - naturally - goes from worst finish to best (except in League Two where the bottom 2 leave the league completely). League Two teams would naturally have the first pick in such a draft- theoretically Rushden & Diamonds, Shrewsbury, Chester City all the way up to the mighty Chelski.

* 92 picks over even only 5 rounds means 460 young people. Not including...

* PICK TRADES. If the draft were to happen as it does in the states the transfer gloves would come off in droves- picture Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool agents endleslly bickering down the phones to the minnows (and eachothet) going "I'll swap you our fulback for second/third dibs", "You can have our pick in exchange for your best striker". Enough to make Mr. Blatter choke on his schnizel.

Guest MaloneFM
Malone, Brilliant! I bow down to your superior intellect, and nominate you for post of the year.

Yes...well...just pretend you didn't see it and eat it or something because I said I keep my gob shut.... blushing.gif

I wonder how much influence agents have had in the recent departures of Rosenior, Hill, Anyinsah and now Lita.  They are all young impressionable guys who sometimes may not be getting the best advice.

Actually I think some of them have recieved very good advice; getting out of here was probably the best thing that ever happened to Matt Hill and Liam Rosenior.

Guest MaloneFM

Well I used to watch Liam when he played for Shire Colts as a kid. Him not me.

And even then he was Charles Big Potatoes and cried when he lost.

Not much work for an agent to do there.

Guest MaloneFM
Maybe you should become an agent Malone. You seem to know better than everybody else. dunno.gif

Well 'voice of sport' and all that. But thats as far as my scandal goes I'm afraid.

But Leroy Resenior is a very nice bloke and speaks a bit like Frank Bruno...hruh hurh hurh.

Are Agents The Cancer Of The Modern Game

are football agents parasites. YES YES YES

I think may be It's time for geniune fans to form a large group worldwide to lobby fifa or the powers that be to get this vermin removed from the game so that talks with prospective clubs can be with player/club only. And that the lose ends of proposed contracts be handled by fifa reconised solictors only

city.gif Parasites the lot of them, but money is the route of all of footballs problems and players having no loyalty at all.

Looking on the bright side,the good news is that some players have a bit of loyalty and love City, namely Scott Murrey and Louis Carey for returning to the club and most of all Marcus Stewart who had the choice of clubs and elected to join Bristol City.

city.gif THE FUTURES BRIGHT THE FUTURES RED ! city.gif

Well you only have to see the latest farce concerning Steven Gerrard to see the effects agents have on players. Players generally aren't bright enough to work things out for themselves; they are children except on the playing field where they become gods. This schizophrenic lifestyle makes them very malleable. Either clubs take them for a ride or agents use them as milking cows. Either way players generally are tossed along on a sea of greed, so its not surprising they try to get a smuch out of it as they can.

Clubs are to blame for agreeing to pay stupid wages and stupid transfer fees in order to get a player. If the lot turned around and told agents to take a long walk off a short plank the greed would wither; but we all know it won't, so agents encourage players to be greedy and faithless. Agents laugh all the way to the Swiss bank with the proceeds they get and make sure the gravy train continues.

Also you can get your mortgage that Rio Ferdinand's agent is behind the current stalling in the talks. He's telling Rio he's worth £120,000 per week. what a laugh. They guy isn't worth it but he believes it and wants to because it makes him feel a god.

Agents? Cancer of the game? Well paid babysitters more like. Lita goes whining to his agent about the signing of Stewart, how much more money he is on and how many times he will appear instead of him. Leroy thinking he is the new Gary Lineaker and all.

The agent then tries to get reassurances from the club concerning appearances and an upped salary. 'Get stuffed' say the club.

He then goes back to Lita who throws toys out of pram but publicy says he is looking forward to the new season with us to give time for his agent to start to sniff around a bit.

After a sniff the agent comes back to Lita with any possibilities. The agent then begin negotiations for a new deal knowing he has other clubs in his back pocket. He goes back to Lita with the new figures. Lita rejects them. Eventually the club says 'this much and no more'. This is then put to Lita who is not happy thinking he is still the best thing since Robbie Williams.

His agent is instructed to talk to the highest paying club in a bid to up city's offer. City stick to the number offered. They also talk to the front running club and make a cash demand for Lita.

Lita is then stuck. He thinks he is worth more. And he isn't. His agent wants him to stay where he is and have another good season and try to get back into the England team and score. This adds to his value and to the agents comission. Lita still says no and is offended by his valuation.

Which brings us to where we are now. His new club are struggling to meet the fee demanded by city and the salary demanded by Lita. They want him but not at this price.

There's your cancer. Greedy thick footballers who have no idea of the real world.

Malone, are you saying then that it is Leroy that wants the move rather than his agent ?

Guest MaloneFM
Malone, are you saying then that it is Leroy that wants the move rather than his agent ?

Umm...I didn't say yes and I didn't say the sticking point are bonuses which should be the same amount as the regulars and paid as a squad member even if no game is played.

In other words going for a look around and a fitness test...

Guest The Groundwell Cider Red

I guess you cant blame players for wanting more money, i mean they aint going to be playing football forever i suppose, they have maybe 20 years possibly a few more and most obviously wont want to go into coaching or management jobs after they retire playing, so a new career beckons unless your playing in the premiership of course.. so i guess players have to look after number 1 to have a decent lifestyle once they retire online2long.gif

Guest MaloneFM

And thats pretty much how I see it too. Supposing Lita had a bad spell. He would be forgiven for a certain amount of games then he is in the reserves, then out on his ass.

They have to get while the gettings good. They have one loyalty despite all the badge kissing and mugging in photos with other peoples kids.

And it aint you.

Prime example is our Mr Stewart. Take the shilling from the gas-damn near got them promoted too. But his heart in in south Bristol.

Spot on. chant6ez.gif

Easy to blame the agents but the bottom line is they work for the player and if he didnt want to go he'd of signed his new contract with us.

I wouldnt be at all supprised if in about a weeks time we have a "i love the city fans and didnt want to leave but i had no choice" story.

Well nobodys twisting your arm leroy.

I'd have more respect for the bloke if he was more honest and just come out and say he's going to be on more money and play in a higher div.

Nobody could blame him for that, but don't try and hide the facts with smoke screens trying to blame the club.

Better players have been through this club and we've coped so cheerio.

I'll take all this back when he comes on loan to us in jan biggrin.gifcity.gif

Archived