IGNORED

£1m Nowhere Near Enough

whooosh

11:00 - 25 May 2005

Steve Lansdown today quashed reports that Reading have made a £1 million offer for Bristol City striker Leroy Lita. And manager Brian Tinnion underlined his determination to hang on to his leading scorer, saying: "I don't think there are any Championship clubs who could afford Leroy."

Ashton Gate chairman Lansdown confirmed the Royals had made an inquiry about the 20-year-old, who scored 29 goals for the Robins last term, but insisted: "An inquiry is all it was - there has been no bid.

"We had a conversation with Reading but have received nothing in writing."

Tinnion also played down talk linking the hot shot with a possible move to the Madejski Stadium.

"I've certainly not been told about any offer from Reading, although there have obviously been inquiries from a lot of clubs because Leroy got 29 goals for us last season and also scored for England Under-21s," said Tinnion.

"Any thoughts about letting Leroy go have never been in my head, and never in the chairman's either from the conversations we have had about him.

"As far as we are concerned, Leroy will be here next season alongside Steve Brooker and, hopefully, Marcus Stewart.

"Those are the three strikers we want and that's one of the reasons we have told Paul Heffernan that if another club shows interest in him, there might be the possibility of a move."

Tinnion added: "Personally I'd be amazed if a club like Reading could come up with money like that for Leroy.

"In fact I'd be surprised if any Championship club could afford to buy him and come up with the sort of money we would be looking for. In my opinion, £1 million would be nowhere near enough."

And...

Can we all move on ?  He's gone for a good fee which helps the clubs cashflow and, despite the doom mongers, there is money for new players - 125k offered for Coughlan proves it.

Couldn't agree more Cynic. Lita, Anyinsah and Doherty are now EX players of our football club and simply do not count any more. Those are the harsh facts, people need to get over it quickly and start getting behind the current/future players. They are the only ones who can get us out of this division (together with a bit of decent management from Tinnion and Millen).

Archived