IGNORED

The New Offiside Rulings

Rich-TWSC-

Before we all go ape at the Linesmen!

Check this out.

From

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/g...ers/4685599.stm

"Fifa's new offside rule has been condemned by leading managers.

World football's governing body says the offside rule "has not changed in essence" but many are not convinced.

Southampton manager Harry Redknapp called the new interpretation "one of the most bizarre rules ever to come into play" after a pre-season friendly.

The changes concern when a player is deemed to be interfering with play. Fifa has now said the player has to touch the ball to be interfering.

Previously, at the start of the 2003/04 season, the offside rule was amended to say that a player could take up an offside position provided he or she was not "actively involved in play".

But not everyone was clear on what constituted "active play" so Fifa has now defined this as:

- Touching the ball after it is passed by team-mate - or rebounds off post, crossbar or opponent

- Preventing an opponent from being able to play the ball by obstructing the opponent's line of vision or distracting him/her

But despite Fifa playing down the scale of the change, Redknapp reacted with bemusement after Motherwell's Scott McDonald had a goal disallowed against Saints in a pre-season game.

Motherwell's supporters berated the linesman because they thought he had made an error.

"I think the crowd are going to wonder what is going on," said Redknapp. "It is frightening. A nightmare."

He added: "I didn't know anything about it, I swear. Nor did (new Saints assistant boss) Dave Bassett. We were sitting there saying 'What's happening here?'"

Motherwell manager Terry Butcher echoed Redknapp's sentiments and believes the regulation is a major cause for concern.

"We will need to get some clarification on it because it makes the linesmen look like idiots because of these very late flags.

"It is a case that the player is not offside until he touches the ball and it is one of the most bizarre rules ever to come into play.

"It needs clarification because there is going to be major controversy during the season with it.

"I don't think it will improve any game. It will cause problems and concern among a lot of people because of their interpretation of it.

"It is not one of the better rules I have seen that have come in to football.

"But we will have to get on with it and learn from it because we have got to play with it.""

banghead.gif

Archived