IGNORED

New Defender?

Guest I bleed red 'n' white

Guest I bleed red 'n' white

from what i gather heywood was superb and can play with danny in defence next year we have alot of defenders already but we need a left back more than anything cos woodman is awful and golbourne cant be thrown in at the deep end!

from what i gather heywood was superb and can play with danny in defence next year we have alot of defenders already but we need a left back more than anything cos woodman is awful and golbourne cant be thrown in at the deep end!

The problem is that there is a possibility, although i think the possibilty has decreased lately, that Danny may leave, leaving us short at the back. I am a huge fan of Clayton Fortune, but as our only real reserve centre-back, i do also think that we lack cover.

In my view, Goldbourne is good enough to step up to the 1st team and make that left back spot his own. At the end of last season, he played something like 15 games in a row, and was superb, in my opinion. I hope he is given that spot, and he could really flourish next year. I think that although Woodman isn't great, he is ok as a reserve, and if needs be, Grant Smith can fill in at full-back, and Clayton could switch too.

The problem is that there is a possibility, although i think the possibilty has decreased lately, that Danny may leave, leaving us short at the back. I am a huge fan of Clayton Fortune, but as our only real reserve centre-back, i do also think that we lack cover.

In my view, Goldbourne is good enough to step up to the 1st team and make that left back spot his own. At the end of last season, he played something like 15 games in a row, and was superb, in my opinion. I hope he is given that spot, and he could really flourish next year. I think that although Woodman isn't great, he is ok as a reserve, and if needs be, Grant Smith can fill in at full-back, and Clayton could switch too.

I read somewhere, and I can't recall (it's late) that when questioned Tinman mentioned Heywood, Coles and Fortune as being his Central Defenders. Maybe I'm reading too much into it here, but does that suggest that Tinman is looking to play Carey back at Right Back?

I read somewhere, and I can't recall (it's late) that when questioned Tinman mentioned Heywood, Coles and Fortune as being his Central Defenders. Maybe I'm reading too much into it here, but does that suggest that Tinman is looking to play Carey back at Right Back?

I presume that is the plan. In my view, it is a good move, as i believe that he is a far better defender than Jamie Smith. I think the back four will be:

Carey....Heywood.....Coles.....Golbourne

I think this would be a strong enough defence, but i think Scott Brown will have to play in order to have a defensive man helping out at times, so the midfield could be:

Murray.....Wilkshire......Brown.....Smith

With Russel on the bench, this looks a pretty good midfield.

I presume that is the plan. In my view, it is a good move, as i believe that he is a far better defender than Jamie Smith. I think the back four will be:

I think this would be a strong enough defence, but i think Scott Brown will have to play in order to have a defensive man helping out at times, so the midfield could be:

I agree.

I rate Carey at right back, and he is better going forward.

Can see where you are coming from, but maybe Tinman will pick Wilkshire out on the left, and Russell in the middle. Or maybe omit Brown and have Wilkshire alongside Russell....

Murray will need to have grown a leg since last season. Cotterill would be my pick over Murray, agree with the rest though.

Can see where you are coming from, but maybe Tinman will pick Wilkshire out on the left, and Russell in the middle. Or maybe omit Brown and have Wilkshire alongside Russell....

I would be very surprised if Wilkshire was on the left, as Tins made a lot of the fact that we need to bring in a genuine left sided player in (Smith). I think Brown will play- i can't see Russel and Wilkshire, sadly, as a strong enough midfield pairing for getting us out of this very physical division.

I would be very surprised if Wilkshire was on the left, as Tins made a lot of the fact that we need to bring in a genuine left sided player in (Smith). I think Brown will play- i can't see Russel and Wilkshire, sadly, as a strong enough midfield pairing for getting us out of this very physical division.

Already people have commented Smith looks lost out there and the player himself has commented his prefers to play in the middle - we shall see.

Don't forget Clayton can play at left back if required so he covers two positions... The problem is that if Heywood is injured we're back where we started trying clear the first ball into the box and on corners/free kicks... We need another big lump IMO...

My team would be :-

Stewart

Carey Heywood Coles Golbourne

Cotterill Russell Brown Smith

Stewart Brooker

SUBS

Smith J

Wilkshire

Murray

Gillespie

Guest cider_kirk
My team would be :-

Stewart

Carey    Heywood    Coles    Golbourne

Cotterill    Russell    Brown    Smith

Stewart    Brooker

SUBS

Smith J

Wilkshire

Murray

Gillespie

why would marcus be playing in goal and the keeper on trial be up frount blink.gif

My team as things stand for the first game of the season would be:

Phillips

Although Stewart looked solid yesterday and I was impressed by his communication he had no real saves to make so its impossible to tell how good he really is.

Orr - Heywood - Coles - Goldborne

I really don't rate Carey as a right back anymore. This really started for me at Milton Keynes last season when he was awful at right back and didnt seem like he could, or wanted to play there. At Swindon Orr impressed me sufficiently in on the right side of dfence to give him a chance there. I think that the other three pick themselves as Heywood looks solid, although Coles has his moments he is still a good defender and Goldborne was improving all the time towards the end of last season.

Cotterill - Wilkshire - Russell - Smith

I thought that Wilkshire was superb yesterday and I have always rated him as an excellent player who can make things happen. Cotterill has what Murray used to, the ability to scare defenders when he is running at them, by no means the finished article but I think he will learn. I would like to see Russell start as although Brown is useful I don't think he influences the game enough. Smith is our only left footed midfielder so has to start on the left in my opinion.

Brooker - Stewart

As our only two accomplished goal scorers they have to start although I'm not sure that Stewart will be at his most influencual here. He looks like he is better sitting off and feeding balls through to someone with pace to run on to. I think for this to work the midfielders really need to make runs forward so that Stewart can play these balls either through the middle or down the wing so we can get some quality crosses in like he did for the first 3 goals yesterday, particularly Skuse's goal.

Subs

Stewart

Fortune

Carey

Brown

Gillespie

Phillips

Although Stewart looked solid yesterday and I was impressed by his communication he had no real saves to make so its impossible to tell how good he really is.

Yeah, but, he's not Phillips; that's good enough for me! biggrin.gif

To be honest, you are right that he was required very little, however, got to say, when he is tested and IF he does show himself to be a reasonable shot-stopper, he has to be given a chance because he is far stronger in his communcation and coming to collect the ball; two particularly weak areas of Phillips that have improved very little in years!

I have never seen Philips dominate his area and defence the way Stewart did , he did have a reasonable shot to tip over and must be worth a contract as cover at least.

Guest uncle john

But Carey can come in at centre back with Jamie Smith filling in at right back, and remember Cole Skuse is originally a centre-back, and had one excellent game there last season. So it's Heywood/Coles/Carey/Skuse and possibly Fortune; 5 centre backs for 2 places. Seems alright to me.

Am I the only one on this forum who rates Woodman?

If he gets his attitude right, I think he could even start above Golbourne who is, lets not forget, still a young 'un.....

Am I the only one on this forum who rates Woodman?

If he gets his attitude right, I think he could even start above Golbourne who is, lets not forget, still a young 'un.....

NO

I agree with you

I would also play Smith at r/b before Carey

saying that i would also play Orr and any one eles

who wants to play r/b in front of Carey

Archived