IGNORED

Bloody Olympic Football

BournemouthRed

Three points on these postings above: 1 - FIFA have come into a row with the Olympic committee over drug testing, or rather, FIFA's refusal to comply with the Olympic Committee's rules over drugs testing, and the OC said it may withdraw football from the Olympics if FIFA do not comply.

2-The olympics are no longer amateur, every competitor from the "top" nations do it for a living now, so to say football should be amateur is not right if th eother sports are open to allcomers, amateur or professional alike.

3-When City signed Wilkshire they knew he was in the running for the Aussie Olympic team, so nobody can make any complaint when he is called up.

The fact is that the Olympics are the world's top sporting event and should be open to the top sporting competitors regardless of status. However I would impose life bans, and I mean life bans, on any competitor found guilty of taking drugs or for not taking a drugs test when asked. No ambiguity, but rigid uncompromising rules so everyone knows where they stand.

fair enuf if he is going, i would hate to not play for england if i was a pro player in roo land... It is the highest honour i spose, so i will be looking out for him!

Good luck to him though as well, as this experience MUST do city some favours, he should get a lot of experience, hopefully not injured...!

• Admin

2-The olympics are no longer amateur, every competitor from the "top" nations do it for a living now, so to say football should be amateur is not right if th eother sports are open to allcomers, amateur or professional alike. 

Someone may be able to provide the correct answer, but I understand that the olympic teams can have 3 professionals, under 23, so its a mix of amateur and professional.

Perhaps you would see a bit more of an outcry if the likes of Viduka, buggered off to the Olympic qualifiers and then the games.

One of Wilkshire's stated reasons for joining City was to get 1st team football so he could get into the Aus squad for the Olympics - so no surprise there then!

Good luck to him, good to see a young lad with ambition to play for his country. He will learn a lot from the experience and should come back an even better player. Might have some trouble getting back in the City side though if we carry on like we are at the moment :)

Aren't you forgeting another international city player, and I feel he has benefited from the experience, even though he does miss out teh odd game When NI were playing. Also many people on here wanted SM to play for Scotland even if it meant he missed our matches. Hmmmm do you people have a thing against him or Australia, or maybe both....

Archived