IGNORED

Changes

graham b

Phillips

Carey Heywood Partridge Golbourne

Cotterill Russell Skuse Smith G

Stewart Bridges

subs: Brooker, Smith J, Orr, Gillespie, Brown, Keogh.

A squad of players who could start for the Doncaster game, that excepting Phillips, have been brought in by Tinnion in the last twelve months.

I beleive it was Arsene Wenger who said that you could only integrate three or four new players in a season. Tinnion has to integrate sixteen.

I wonder if the Chairman had forseen this amount of change was necessary when making the Tinnion appointment in June 2004?

Guest alex1089

No Wilkshire then, wheres the assists going to come from, The experiance and then quick thinking of Stewart and the assists and passing from Wilkshire will surley warrent them 2 a start.

No Wilkshire then, wheres the assists going to come from, The experiance and then quick thinking of Stewart and the assists and passing from Wilkshire will surley warrent them 2 a start.

Based on Tinnion's (Chelsea) two players for each position Wilkshire is competing with Russell (and before everyone starts shouting it's Brown v Skuse) , we just have to wait and see who does best and trust Tinnion's judgement

Sorry but you have appeared to have missed the key point of my message. We have some 16 players who have been introduced to the squad in 12 months. Too many to integrate and gel into a team according to Wenger. The squad I chose was of the new boys.

Personally I would look to Wilkshire and Stewart to be come key members of next seasons side. Hopefully these two could then combine to get Murray playing with the confidence, aggression and incisiveness of the 03-04 season.

Guest REDCIDERARMY

I reckon tins should now use the friendlys to use his first eleven in rovers,chelt,exeter they are reasonable teams to get use to eachother,we have to be ready by 6 aug a slow start is not good enough.

Phillips

Carey            Heywood            Partridge          Golbourne

Cotterill          Russell            Skuse                Smith G

Stewart            Bridges

subs:  Brooker, Smith J, Orr, Gillespie, Brown, Keogh.

A squad of players who could start for the Doncaster game, that excepting Phillips, have been brought in by Tinnion in the last twelve months.

I beleive it was Arsene Wenger who said that you could only integrate three or four new players in a season. Tinnion has to integrate sixteen. 

I wonder if the Chairman had forseen this amount of change was necessary  when making the Tinnion appointment in June 2004?

I don't think you can count Cotterill, Skuse, Golbourne, Carey, Brooker, J Smith, Orr, Gillespie or Brown as newbies so that brings your total down to um... 7 (I think!).

Brooker, J Smith etc. have been playing together for almost an entire season and Cotterill and Skuse have been around the club since they were kids... I think what Wenger is referring to is bringing in 3-4 players from outside the club or abroad all at once...

It may take some time to see the best of the current squad but I don't think it will be a major problem... Stewart & Bridges have played together at Sunderland already as well.. As have Heywood & G Smith at Swindon..

• Admin

At least two of our signings have the potential to be vastly superior to the level we're playing at as well which helps.

Both Bridges & Stewart have scored Premiership hat-tricks during their career. How many League One sides can claim that of ONE of their players, let alone two! dance.gif

• Admin

In addition, following the Chelski example that others have used under the "2 players for each position" plan:

Mourinho brought in Cech, Robben, Carvalho, Ferreira, Kezman, Drogba & Tiago as recognised first teamers and Jarosik in the window.

That's 8 new players in one season.

The first team squad players brought in the previous Summer include: Makelele, Johnson, Geremi, Duff, Bridge, Cole, Smertin & Parker.

A further 8 players.

That's 16 new players from outside the club and doesn't include youngsters who know about the club already having been educated by the club.

I don't think many Chelsea fans care a jot what Arsene Wenger thinks now.

At least two of our signings have the potential to be vastly superior to the level we're playing at as well which helps.

Both Bridges & Stewart have scored Premiership hat-tricks during their career. How many League One sides can claim that of ONE of their players, let alone two!  dance.gif

Stewart and (hopefully) Bridges are two excellent acquisitions who may be able to paper over the problems. However to change 2/3rds of the squad in 12 months is still a dangerous strategy.

• Admin
£200m+ and some of the world's best does make such a difference to aiding squad integration!

Doing it in the real world of league 1 is somewhat different!

Thankfully we don't need to beat the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool though.

Phillips

I wonder if the Chairman had forseen this amount of change was necessary  when making the Tinnion appointment in June 2004?

Errm, you are only allowed five subs; to include Carey who wasn't gone 5 mins is a bit of a stretch, Gillespie was signed by Wilson; neither Bridges or Partridge have actually signed yet ("many a slip ..." etc); and bringing through youngsters of the class of Skuse, Cotterill and Golbourne who have been here for years can hardly be criticised either.

As for Wenger's quote, I can understand it at the rarefied level he operates at where there are so few players around who could improve his squad. The same cannot be said for a third grade club because just ocassionally we get to recruit players who's ability and experience is a level or two above what we're used to, and for those that aren't there's more choice.

Also some of the recruitment has had to be reactive (to the unplanned departures of such as Hill, Brown, A, Anyinsah, Lita) or would you not have advised not replacing them at the same time as the proactive changes were taking place?

Phillips

I just hope BT knows from his own players what is his best team, & that we hit the ground running from 6th Aug.

The young'uns got a flavour last season & they won't want to be left out.

Big test of the managment skills.

But BT has his team now, so we should be expecting it to be a breeze.

Roll on Sat 6th.

Archived