IGNORED

Nerves?

redrocks

According to Tinman, Stewart and Bridges' ability to stay onside was adversely affected by the nerves of playing in front of 15,000 people. After all the fanfare of the signing of two players with Premiership experience, I find myself asking what the point of said experience is if you can't play under the pressure of a crowd of 15,000 (pretty small compared to Prem standards) in a Division 3 side against Doncaster Rovers.

Is it just me or does this sound like total bo||ox?

According to Tinman, Stewart and Bridges' ability to stay onside was adversely affected by the nerves of playing in front of 15,000 people. After all the fanfare of the signing of two players with Premiership experience, I find myself asking what the point of said experience is if you can't play under the pressure of a crowd of 15,000 (pretty small compared to Prem standards) in a Division 3 side against Doncaster Rovers.

Is it just me or does this sound like total bo||ox?

I think it was the expectantcy put on their shoulders and not the size of the crowd

I know what the article says. The point is that whilst the expectations of a Division 3 crowd are probably considerable, I would doubt that there is any more pressure on them than when they are playing for a regular spot on the first team of a Prem club. The experience they were supposed to have garnered playing for bigger clubs was touted as a huge asset and a major reason for bringing them to the Gate.

Whilst it is a valid excuse, it is just that: an excuse. But one that doesn't stand up to the bovine fecal-matter test based on what we have been told before.

When it comes to having your cake and eating it, this club's management comes second only to Mr Kipling himself on occasions.

I can see why they'd be nervous. Both are experienced, however, obviously there is the expectancy as said earlier.

Also, for Stewart, this is a dream realised; nothing he has done can compare I would think. Let's hope the other dream of a hat-trick for City is not far behind!

For Bridges, injuries, reserve team wilderness is the story of his last few years. A chance to resurrect yourself at a potentially very good club. Understandable that the sphincter would pulsate a bit I would suggest!

Understandable that the sphincter would pulsate a bit I would suggest!

[/]

Sounds like you have been hanging out with Ben Wah Balls a bit too much. But whatever flicks your switch mate.

But I still reckon they should be able to handle the pressure. Especially considering the wage they are probably taking home each week.

Dropping points in one league game out of 46.

Disgraceful.

Any return less than 135 points from our remaining 45 games will more than likely be followed by similar excuses!

Actually Madge, if you read my post, you would see I am not having a pop at MS or MB, instead I am questioning the validity of Tinnion's excuse, especially following the fact that we have had their "Premiership experience" rammed up our ringpieces for the last few weeks.

Sorry, I am still thinking about Neo's pulsating sphincter.

I'm trying not to for fear of accidents!

Big F Off chillies laden pizza last night; my world ended earlier! w00t.gif

• Admin
Actually Madge, if you read my post, you would see I am not having a pop at MS or MB, instead I am questioning the validity of Tinnion's excuse, especially following the fact that we have had their "Premiership experience" rammed up our ringpieces for the last few weeks.

....and you will see, if you read mine, that I wasn't defending MS or MB but making the point that we are one game in and "excuses" will always follow dropped points. We won't win every game and as such we'll see similar "excuses" as the season progresses. It is more a reflection on the media led world that we now live in than anything else.

But I still reckon they should be able to handle the pressure. Especially considering the wage they are probably taking home each week.

How does earning a lot of money make them any more resistant to the butterflies syndrone?

Some people seem to think that the rich amongst us come from a different planet. They don't. They can just spend more money on themselves when it comes to pampering a bruised ego.

Edit: not sure what happened to the forum. It went mad for a moment.

How does earning a lot of money make them any more resistant to the butterflies syndrone?

Some people seem to think that the rich amongst us come from a different planet.  They don't.  They can just spend more money on themselves when it comes to pampering a bruised ego.

Edit: not sure what happened to the forum. It went mad for a moment.

The point of me bringing their wage into it is that they are probably the highest paid members of the team. The higher price tag is tied to the experience they bring and means that they are undoubtedly going to be held to a higher standard.

I am not saying that we should not expect them to feel nervous before a game, it's how they respond to those nerves that counts. Players who have played at a high level, in this case the Premiership, would normally be expected to respond well under pressure and not have it adversely affect their game. On the contrary, it should help them raise their game.

Basically, they didn't produce the goods on Saturday and BT is offering reasons which I think are flawed.

I see it is a perfectly good excuse. Both players are used to pressure but either has had to play under the type of pressure that they were playing under on Saturday.

Bridges has had the pressure of expectation o him before, but so much ? He is not only expected to completely resurect a carrear that started off so promisingly all those years ago, and also he has the pressure of expectancy, he knows that he is expected should he return to anything like his nautral ability to run rings around the defences in this league.

Stewart is under similar pressure to destroy defences in this league, but also has the pressure of playing for the club he has supported all his life.

I don't think either of them have let the external pressures effect them at all, it's the pressure that they are putting on themselfs, Bridges because he has to proove something to so many people and Stewart because he is living th dream that all of us have. It's that pressure that can cause problems for any player no matter how expirenced, even the best players on the planet can take a while to adjust to playing with the internal pressure they sometimes put on themselfs.

The point of me bringing their wage into it is that they are probably the highest paid members of the team. The higher price tag is tied to the experience they bring and means that they are undoubtedly going to be held to a higher standard.

I am not saying that we should not expect them to feel nervous before a game, it's how they respond to those nerves that counts. Players who have played at a high level, in this case the Premiership, would normally be expected to respond well under pressure and not have it adversely affect their game. On the contrary, it should help them raise their game.

Basically, they didn't produce the goods on Saturday and BT is offering reasons which I think are flawed.

I thought originally you were saying they would not have nerves but I now see that wasn't the case. I completely agree with what you've said. They should have been able to deal with the nerves.

To be fair to BT he also said they were both unfit. I thnk this was the main reason they underperformed. Luckily for us this means they can only get better. biggrin.gif

I know what the article says. The point is that whilst the expectations of a Division 3 crowd are probably considerable, I would doubt that there is any more pressure on them than when they are playing for a regular spot on the first team of a Prem club. The experience they were supposed to have garnered playing for bigger clubs was touted as a huge asset and a major reason for bringing them to the Gate.

Whilst it is a valid excuse, it is just that: an excuse. But one that doesn't stand up to the bovine fecal-matter test based on what we have been told before.

When it comes to having your cake and eating it, this club's management comes second only to Mr Kipling himself on occasions.

If you've ever played football yourself, you'll know if you're making a debut for a team or playing in a big match you tend to try to hard.

Now, Marcus and Micheal are now very much big fish in a small pond, with big things expected of them. Ability wise, they are possibly the two most talented players in this division and they'll know it. The thing is, they also know we know it; and they'll be eager to prove we're right.

It's easy enough when you're trying too hard to get in behind a defence to get caught offside. They were both desperate for a chance to become instant hero's on the pitch and grab a goal. It's understandable that as a result of wanting such a thing so badly that they're to be caught offside trying to get in behind. This was evident in that it wasn't so much careless mistiming of runs and being offside by one or two yards; the distance of many of the offsides showed it was just desperation to get in on the keeper.

These are experienced players who have got to the top of the game by having a footballing brain. I don't see it as an excuse, personally, because I agree with Tins and said as much at the time. They were trying too hard.

If you've ever played football yourself, you'll know if you're making a debut for a team or playing in a big match you tend to try to hard.

Now, Marcus and Micheal are now very much big fish in a small pond, with big things expected of them. Ability wise, they are possibly the two most talented players in this division and they'll know it. The thing is, they also know we know it; and they'll be eager to prove we're right.

It's easy enough when you're trying too hard to get in behind a defence to get caught offside. They were both desperate for a chance to become instant hero's on the pitch and grab a goal. It's understandable that as a result of wanting such a thing so badly that they're to be caught offside trying to get in behind. This was evident in that it wasn't so much careless mistiming of runs and being offside by one or two yards; the distance of many of the offsides showed it was just desperation to get in on the keeper.

These are experienced players who have got to the top of the game by having a footballing brain. I don't see it as an excuse, personally, because I agree with Tins and said as much at the time. They were trying too hard.

Godzilla, these are all valid excuses for someone like you or me having a kick-about in a park, but these are professionals we are talking about here. Professionals that have played at the highest level in domestic football and live and breathe the game 24/7/52. Expectations are justifiably higher.

Half the offsides were courtesy of a very flag happy linesman. Tinnion may not have had a clear picture of that from the dugout but from the Dolman a few of those looked very dodgy.

They didn't have many (any?) chances they could really be expected to convert.

I thought both players actually played well and no excuses were needed really.

Nibor

Godzilla, these are all valid excuses for someone like you or me having a kick-about in a park, but these are professionals we are talking about here. Professionals that have played at the highest level in domestic football and live and breathe the game  24/7/52. Expectations are justifiably higher.

Indeed they are, but they're only human after all!

Half the offsides were courtesy of a very flag happy linesman.  Tinnion may not have had a clear picture of that from the dugout but from the Dolman a few of those looked very dodgy.

They didn't have many (any?) chances they could really be expected to convert.

I thought both players actually played well and no excuses were needed really.

Nibor

Unfortunately, I wasn't there myself so I have to go with what I read/hear/see on the forum and the official sites.

I thought it strange that Tinnion would say this today based off the fact that he was saying on Saturday that the front two were not given the supply they demanded. Which is why I was wondering if this was just a load of cobblers.

Still don't buy it. Expectancy or not, there pro's and should be able to deal with it. I bet there own expectancy of how they can play out weighs any of ours! But they'll come good. Both quality players, espec at this level. city.gif

Archived