IGNORED

Johnny Rotten Vs. Jennie Bond

City Rocker

'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here' starts next Monday. Now I don't normally watch this kind of crass TV, but this is one encounter I'm looking forward to. The man who gave us 'God Save The Queen, The Fascist Regime' gets to spend 2 weeks in the jungle with the woman who thinks she IS the Queen :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

Don't let us down John! :D

Yeah, I agree, I knew there was a reason for getting freeview, ten hours live apparently of Mr Lydon a day giving us the gospel.

He was doing an internet radio show from the US which was pretty good last time I tuned in.

Apparently he got married to some 60 yr old German Media tycoon, I thought he was aboding with someone who used to be in The Slits...

Guest pogue mahone

how anti-establishment of him. further evidence that he did in fact disappear up his own backside in the early 1990's.

more like "i'm a z-list celebrity, get me on the show"

Guest Harry May

Just goes to show him in his true colours.

While the likes of Dave Vanien , Rat Scabies etc are still touring and The Exploited can still cause a commotion in Canada , we have the alledged godfather of punk , selling himself for reality television. To him punk was just a vehicle for his ego . The Public Image Ltd must have been one of the most apt names for a band.

You can bet , that he will try to be as controversial as possible to try and grab as many headlines as he can in our media obsessed newspapers.

The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle ? Oh Yes .

Caldicot Red.

Guest knapster

I watched the programme on last night and Johnny was hilarious :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

he's the only funny one on there and i feel the programme would be very very dull if it wasnt for him :D !

Still lets see what happens... and what will happen tonight when he has to do the bush tucker trial??????

knapster

Some of your remarks about Lydon make me laugh !

The philosophies and ideals of Johnny Rotten were 20+ years ago !The blokes around 50 years of age now ..people changed greatly over that amount of years.

Also you should know he always has and will play to the camera.

As for making money ? He'll never deny that.His only reason for the "Filthy Lucre Tour" was just that !!

Oh and he IS the "Godfather of Punk"

Guest pogue mahone
Oh and he IS the "Godfather of Punk"
i think you will find that was joe strummer, or at least it was for those of us who lived through it.

last night i turned over to BBC2 and watched Room 101, which, with a touch of irony, deals with the disposal of subjects you don't like into a hellish place.

i think you will find that was joe strummer, or at least it was for those of us who lived through it.

last night i turned over to BBC2 and watched Room 101, which, with a touch of irony, deals with the disposal of subjects you don't like into a hellish place.

I take your point on Strummer bud but my reasoning for claiming Lydon as "The Godfather" is simply because of the way he acted and what he said.

Whether it was an act or not he certainly "advertised" the Punk image.

Youv'e got to admit this is a mint pic though

capt.1054936093.canada_johnny_rotten_cptf102.jpg

Guest pogue mahone

it was an act. the sex pistols were as contrived as any boy-band these days, the fact that malcolm mcclaren went on to create more successful outfits in both bowwowwow and adam & the ants shows how poor thay were in a commercial sense. it should also be noted that in the so called golden punk era of '76-77 the pistols sold less records than the wombles.

still, if Sid was still alive, they'd have had to film it in Afghanistan and make one of the tasks teaching him how to grow his own heroin.

Never mind punk or godfathers, Joe Strummer IS GOD!

As for the Pistols, their commercial success (or lack of it) is completely irelevant. Between them the Pistols, Clash and Ramones didn't sell that many records at the time but in 2004 each remain, for various reasons, among the most important musical inovators of the last 40 years.

it was an act. the sex pistols were as contrived as any boy-band these days, the fact that malcolm mcclaren went on to create more successful outfits in both bowwowwow and adam & the ants shows how poor thay were in a commercial sense.

McClaren never created the Adam & The Antz (wash your mouth out for even thinking such a thing) and nor were Bow Wow Wow more successful that the Pistols. Next you'll be telling me that Pogue Mahone means 'kiss my @rse'

The punk and new wave era was a legendary period. If you think it wasn't just check out which are the most popular sales on the ebay...I'm doing alright anyway!

Guest pogue mahone

ok, not created in the forming of the band sense, but it was mcclaren who as manager gave them the direction that made them successful.

bang to rights on bowwowwow - i'd had a few, don't know where that came from.

i didn't say that the punk/new wave era wasn't good. just that the sex pistols were all hype and not very good when compared with the clash, the stranglers, the damned and numerous others

I'd agree the Pistols weren't any good musically but I think My Lydon would be the first to agree that they definately weren't about the music!! The Damned, Stranglers, Clash, even Pil would kick their @sses anyday all round, have seen 'em all yawn yawn :rolleyes:

Seen Adam & The Antz live also and if I ever did see McClaren I'd shake his hand and thank him personally for taking away the original Antz, not that they were bad, I loved that ear as well, but it gave Stuart Goddard the kick up the ass and the rest is history...

Guest Harry May

While to the media , the sex pistols WERE punk , to me they were n't .

The first "punk " LP I ever heard was MC5 - Kick out the Jams . Then there was a gap , and then The Ramones came along . First British punk single that really did it for me was "New Rose" by The Damned. So many good British and American Punk bands that did n't get a fraction of the coverage that the Pistols got.The Lurkers , The Exploited , Minor Threat , Dead Kennedys , The Partisans ,Cock Sparrer , Slaughter and the Dogs - the list is endless.

As wise men before me have already stated , The Clash were the daddies.

The Pistols were just good at marketing and PR.

Caldicot Red.

Archived