IGNORED

First Timer- Are You There?

A Horse With No Name

Just been thinking about that guy who posted on here last week. He had just moved to the area from Cornwall and was asking about how to get to the Gate etc. as he had chosen City to follow, ahead of our lovely neighbours. Just wondering if he enjoyed the game, how he found the atmosphere etc etc. Would he be kind enough to post a review of his day from the eyes of a first timer. Assuming he went that is!!

Guest New_Red

Hi all

I would have posted sooner but I've only just had my internet connection set up (the bloke was meant to be here the other day but got held up)

I did go to the game, and I'd like to thank all of you who helped and gave advice on how to get to the ground. You honestly are a great bunch on this forum. I caught the bus in the end, and seeing the queues to get out at the end, I am glad I did!

I enjoyed the game, even if it did take a while to get truely going. I thought the atmosphere was great, although I can't compare it to what it would be like without the East End being open. The fans in there did seem to be generating a lot of noise, which then seemed to encourage the Atyeo into making some as well.

In the end I sat in the Dolman, which I felt gave a very good view of the pitch. Just my luck to be stuck next to a moaning chap though (who seemed to only want to criticise every small mistake very verbally). I suppose you get them in every ground... it's just that I always seem to end up sitting next to them! I didn't fancy the Williams because of the pillars, but I might try the Atyeo in the future. It looks like a very nice stand. Overall though, I was very impressed with the ground, and I can see why so many fans have it in the hearts and are resisting any move.

And I also feel that I must say thank you to all the ground staff that helped me on the day. Even though the questions I was asking (such as "which way do I have to go to get to the Dolman ticket office" and "is this the right turnstile?") were very small and insignificant questions in the grand scheme of the day, they were all answered helpfully and curteously. The same couldn't be said of the First bus driver, who was miserable and 'forgot' to remind me when we got to the stop where I had to get off in Bedminster. Luckily I saw the name of it flash by as we went past it and hopped off at the next set of traffic lights. Just shows how some people really shouldn't be dealing with the public :P

p.s. and cheers to Percy Parrot for the PM. I'll get round to getting back to you soon! :D

in the end i sat in the Dolman.Just my luck to be sat next to a moaning chap......

Funny that.been in the Dolman twice,Williams once.Surrounded by moany old buggers!!! They're in the Ateyo to mind, I just recognise them and sit elswhere.not so easy for u season ticket boys.We've all heard em do the "cmon city paradox"

(a) "cmon city get it forward" (when retaining possesion)

(B) "cmon city stop hoofin it get it down" (when trying to hit channels)

Along with the singing/standing area,can we have a "I've paid my money and i'll bitch all afternoon if I want..." area so they can all sod off in there and the players know where they are

Just my luck to be stuck next to a moaning chap though (who seemed to only want to criticise every small mistake very verbally). I suppose you get them in every ground... it's just that I always seem to end up sitting next to them!
Yes, happened to me when I first went down the Gate.

Over the years have sat/stood in every area of the ground and there always seems to be a moaning b*****d next to us. Finally settled for a season ticket in the Williams stand, where there are still a few around us, but they do at least tend to wait until the first kick of the ball before they start!

Problem is we have too many of them at Ashton Gate - moan before the kick off, shout abuse from the start, slag off the players and the manager etc etc. Never seem to get behind the team until we are 4-0 up then it's "yeh I knew we could do it", "should have played XXXX from the start though" blah blah blah!!!!

But maybe that's why they go to watch football? :D To get all that pent up frustration off their chests :D

Perhaps we could persuade them to go watch the Gas instead?

Thanks for that New Red. You're a top bloke. You did make the right decision to support the boys in red, and I'm glad you enjoyed your day. But believe me, it can AND WILL, get much better, much louder, much more crowded, and much much, much more enjoyable as the season goes on, culminating in a crescendo of noise and unashamed passion at the end, as we achieve our place in the promised land. Stick with us, my friend, and enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is BRISTOL CITY.

Archived