IGNORED

Good Result...

SimplyRed

I haven't taken the opportunity to read all the posts here since yesterday so if I repeat any points anyone's made, I apologise in advance. I just thought I'd add my thoughts...

As the title suggests, we got the right result, but the performance, again, was woeful.

If they hadn't started so badly and practically gifted us a 2-goal start, I think the result might've been very different.

Admittedly, Murray's goal was the pick of the bunch, but again our midfield let us down badly. We simply do not dominate and control midfield.

As against Doncaster, Vale - and Dinning in particular - controlled the middle of the park from about the half-hour mark onwards. Dinning, for me, was their MoM.

We were quick out of the blocks then fizzled out.

Stewart was coming deeper and deeper into midfield trying to get some sight of the ball that our midfield was decidedly lacking to provide. During the 2nd half, he was even in the back four to receive the ball!

The second half performance was one of the most inept I've ever seen at the Gate and I thought Vale was going to steamroller us.

In the end we managed to hang on... wait a minute... weren't we the HOME TEAM?... weren't we FOUR NIL up after half an hour?

Murray was totally anonymous in the 2nd half and the only reason I knew he was still on the pitch was when Cotterill replaced him after 12 minutes from time.

If anyone thinks we've turned a corner with Tinnion, think again. We have BIG problems and we are not seeing a promotion-winning side at the moment.

I haven't taken the opportunity to read all the posts here since yesterday so if I repeat any points anyone's made, I apologise in advance.  I just thought I'd add my thoughts...

As the title suggests, we got the right result, but the performance, again, was woeful.

If they hadn't started so badly and practically gifted us a 2-goal start, I think the result might've been very different.

Admittedly, Murray's goal was the pick of the bunch, but again our midfield let us down badly.  We simply do not dominate and control midfield.

As against Doncaster, Vale - and Dinning in particular - controlled the middle of the park from about the half-hour mark onwards. Dinning, for me, was their MoM.

Stewart was coming deeper and deeper into midfield trying to get some sight of the ball that our midfield was decidedly lacking to provide.  During the 2nd half, he was even in the back four to receive the ball!

The second half performance was one of the most inept I've ever seen at the Gate and I thought Vale was going to steamroller us. 

In the end we managed to hang on... wait a minute... weren't we the HOME TEAM?... weren't we FOUR NIL up after half an hour?

Murray was totally anonymous in the 2nd half and the only reason I knew he was still on the pitch was when Cotterill replaced him after 12 minutes from time.

If anyone thinks we've turned a corner with Tinnion, think again.  We have BIG problems and we are not seeing a promotion-winning side at the moment.

Carefull red. The happy clappy brigade will be out to get you, biggrin.gif

• Admin

An alternative view might be that at 4-2 up at half-time with Vale looking dangerous on the counter-attack, we decided getting our first 3 points was more important than scoring more goals and risking them scoring more.

Once we have a few more wins under our belt, points on the board and the confidence that brings we may be able to be more attacking to the end.

But we'll know more in a few games time.

I'll take similar performances in our next 2 league games (both at home) if the result is the same as that gives us a base to build on.

Concerns, yes. But we're currently unbeaten at home and if we can maintain that record we'll have a good foundation to build upon.

One view:

Agreed. Our midfield was justifiably on top for the first 30 mins.

After that... we took our foot off the gas. Not exactly what you'd want, but not representative of what the team would play like if we were down or drawing. At half time we then switched to a completely defensive formation and no goals went in.

Not exactly a disaster.

Alternatively:

It was only until PV started warming up that the true relative performances of the sides could be compared.

Will take a few more games to suss it out and figure out what the real city looks like.

In the mean-time. 4-2. biggrin.gif

I agree second half we were more than happy to try and hang on, but at home it would be nice to see City try some possesion football, instead of giving it away cheaply all the time, and it coming straight back.

Our defence frightens me to death still, all we can hope is that the more games they play together they can become a force, but the lack of pace is a worry, at the front, and back.

I also hate the fact when we defend corners, every bloody player comes back.

Why can't they just leave either Murray or Cotterell on the half way line ?

It would at least give a hope of a counter attack, and take two defenders out of the picture.

We still seem to me very lightweight, and far too easy to get knocked off the ball, although Scott Brown to me had a great game, until he got injured, and can become an integral part of the side.

Also Steve Phillips made some superb stops, and Brooker was superb.

If we can learn from this game, and start to believe in ourselves, hopefully we can turn the corner, and when confidence starts to flow anything is possible.

You're absolutely spot on Simplyred.

To look at the match stats you'd be hard pressed to suggest that we deserved the points-

Possesion: City 47% Vale 53%

Shots: City 10 Vale 19

Corners: City 4 Vale 11

We had our day yesterday but we won't be as lucky as that all season what with Vale giving us a 2 goal head start.

I couldn't believe how inept we looked. In the second half the very least we could have done is tried to keep possesion of the ball but alas the players looked disinterested and incompetant.

Someone needs to tell Wilkshire to look for the simple pass and not always go for the spectaculour. Louis Carey was again abysmal.

Our next 2 league games are both at home to teams that we should beat. If we play like we did yesterday in those games then I predict our unbeaten home record will have ended before it really started.

I take it you think we should have gone on to win 8-0 or something ?

We won, we scored 4 and we got 3 points - job done.

Why not? We were 4-0 after half an hour and they were reeling.

Wouldn't a "promotion-chasing" side have taken advantage of that and really made their superiority tell?

The fact that we didn't and Tinnion decided to "close down the game" when we are at home against an average side with 40 minutes to go beggars belief!

banghead.gif

I haven't taken the opportunity to read all the posts here since yesterday so if I repeat any points anyone's made, I apologise in advance.  I just thought I'd add my thoughts...

Admittedly, Murray's goal was the pick of the bunch, but again our midfield let us down badly.  We simply do not dominate and control midfield.

Stewart was coming deeper and deeper into midfield trying to get some sight of the ball that our midfield was decidedly lacking to provide.  During the 2nd half, he was even in the back four to receive the ball!

If anyone thinks we've turned a corner with Tinnion, think again.  We have BIG problems and we are not seeing a promotion-winning side at the moment.

100% agree we are a long way of promo football A long way.

The score did not do justice to vales second half comeback.

Here's the stat that counts ;

CITY 4 - 2 PORT VALE

I know that annoys you, but it really it the only stat that cannot be manipulated into saying anything other than the truth  farmer.gif

Yep, no dispute - 3 points & much needed too.

But it is quite right that we should cheer the result, but we should also look beyond one result & look to what can be done better.

Even BT wasn't totally convinced (or happy) - and this is exactly what many fans are doing.

Making some constructive comments about the result.

Blimey, I think we saw the odd rumble from cynic after the B'mouth game.

seriously dude, you need your eyes checked so badly.

Dinning was calm and relaxed, brought the pace of the game down when he needed to and just took the pressure off the back 4 some times, things which Graeme Le Saux was prasing Chelsea for on MOTD 2 within the last hour doh.gif

Dinning was calm and relaxed, brought the pace of the game down when he needed to and just took the pressure off the back 4 some times, things which Graeme Le Saux was prasing Chelsea for on MOTD 2 within the last hour doh.gif

he bought the pace of the game down??? you mean when he touched the ball the full 3 minutes overall he had the ball? yes , Dinning moving about the centre circle calmed the pace down the match, of course he did.

God some fans are either stupid or blind.

One other interesting stat for y'all:

Bar Donny everyone has scored two against us. bit worrying innit?

Good Points: 3 Points excellent, Brookerman proving his point, biggrin.gif and worth, with two goals, Stewart gettin his first goal in a City shirt at the Gate chant6ez.gif . Phillips MOTM, confident at last. chant6ez.gif

But hang on, the bad points: conceding two goals a game, again. Is our midfield the problem, or is it our defenders? dunno.gif Less attempts, less possession???. Dinning their MOTM???, pinch.gif Bell scoring a goal in open play??? pinch.gifunsure.gif the same Bell who was sooooooooo slow last season. Boy do we have things to work on. disapointed2se.gif

3 points we'll take that, and hopefully the performances will improve.

Archived