IGNORED

Skipper Steve?

Wurzel of Oz

I've been an advocate of this before but I'll say it again. Whe Jamie Smith is not on the pitch (even when he is on it to be honest) I feel Steve Phillips should be skipper. Let's start with him: longest serving player at the club (bar Carey if you don't include the Coventry spell), top keeper in the division in many people's opinion (PFA select XI squads frequently over the last few years) and if you listened to his interview, he seems to be saying the right things. As nearly everyone knows, there is no better place to skipper a side than from between the sticks, and although Steve has come in for some criticism about his command of the area, being captain is only bound to improve this. He is also possibly the only player in the squad who is pretty much secure in his position (now I know there's no competition, but can you really see us, a div 3 side, attracting anyone as good as him?) and the constant jostling and changing of skipper can hardly be good for the team. He loves the club and on the whole the fans like him or at least recognise his ability, really thought the interview showed he can do it. C'mon Tins, you know it!

OK I'm ready for you all to shoot me down! biggrin.gif

Sam city.gif

Steve is big enough and professional enough to wear the Skippers band, but i don't think he wants it.

I imagine he'll be pleased to hear he being talked about as a possible captain, but imo a Goalie is not a good idea for skipper as he spends most of his time on his own, plus Steve is not the most vocal of Keepers either so really i think its a bad idea.

Archived