IGNORED

Worrying Times

fct

CITY 2 BARNET 4

Not a score one would have thought before the game but after watching both teams, I think it was a fair reflection of the match. Barnet were more organised, livlier, enthusiastic, skilfull and played more as a team, thus fully deserving their win.

That is not to say City helped of course, but the defence loked very jittery and it was no surprise two of the goalscame through non existant marking and another a solo goal where the Barnet player walzed past four statuesque defenders. Also City's perennial problem of a midfield that doesn't know how to mark or support the forwards was there again. It seems to make no difference who plays there and who manages it, but every season any enterprising team that visits Ashton Gate with a midfield that can pass, tackle and support the other two parts of the team outplays the City.

And so it was tonight. Every time Barnet came forward on their swift break-outs, you believed they would score. However it was City who took the lead with Scott Goulbourne shooting low across the box into the far corner, but it wasn't long before Barnet equalised following panic in the home defence and Dwayne Lee shot from the edge of the box through a packed but ineffective defence into the corner.

The second half saw Barnet take control and Lee scored again at the far post, unmarked following a low cross that evaded all the defence. Then Nicky Bailey dribbled into the box, evading four lame tackles before slotting the ball home to make it 3-1.

Michael Bridges came on and within two minutes had reduced the arrears, tapping in following good work by Scott Murray down the right and City could have levelled matters but wasted a couple of good opportunities. Then Lee Roache settled matters 7 minutes from the end with a low shot into the far corner following more dreadful marking.

I can't really say what the problem really was with City but they looked second best most of the night. What was lacking was clearly a leader, someone who can get them going and communicate with the players, as often many looked as though they didn't know what to do and were looking for instructions; also there were no calls for holding the ball up for example.

What was lacking was clearly a leader, someone who can get them going and communicate with the players, as often many looked as though they didn't know what to do and were looking for instructions; also there were no calls for holding the ball  up for example.

Jamie Smith.

I don't care that Carey is better at right back or not (albeit I think he has had a poor start; his passing is terrible presently).

Anybody who watched and listened at the pre-season friendlies would have seen/heard Jamie constantly talking to his back-line and the youngsters in midfield.

His name would be the first defensive player on my team-sheet against MK Dons. Screw his faults, we need his leadership!

Jamie Smith.

I don't care that Carey is better at right back or not (albeit I think he has had a poor start; his passing is terrible presently).

Anybody who watched and listened at the pre-season friendlies would have seen/heard Jamie constantly talking to his back-line and the youngsters in midfield.

His name would be the first defensive player on my team-sheet against MK Dons.  Screw his faults, we need his leadership!

And Keogh

Keogh bosses the defence at the age of 18 going on 38. Get him alongside Heywood at the weekend or else ranting.gif

if he was fit enough???? whats he been doing since july dunno.gif

Playing in all the friendlies, showing signs of being a excellent future captain of BCFC

Oh, and then not getting in the 16 for Donny banghead.gif

Archived