IGNORED

What It Takes In This League?

Portland Bill

Been sitting here and thinking about this shxxe division we are in ( and been in to long dunno.gif )heres my thoughts.

In this division most goals are scored when the opposition make mistakes. This is why Plymouth and Luton have done so well in this league over the last 2 years.Both these teams played no nonsense football and pressured the opposition into mistakes. We are lumping the ball long at times like they did but.... the problem is that if you play this way you have to have the RIGHT players. We have bought ball players, so logically we should play all the football on the floor ??. This league is a hard one to get out of playing silky football, so Tinnion has to make his mind up which way to play. dunno.gif

I get the feeling we are stuck in the middle of both at the moment, would it be acceptable to most City fans for us to play the ROUGH way or do we all want football on the floor ????? Debate. farmer.gif

EDIT, spelling ph34r.gif

Been sitting here and thinking about this shxxe division we are in ( and been in to long dunno.gif )heres my thoughts.

In this division most goals are scored when the opposition make mistakes. This is why Plymouth and Luton have done so well in this league over the last 2 years.Both these teams played no nonsense football and pressured the opposition into mistakes. We are lumping the ball long at times like they did but.... the problem is that if you play this way you have to have the RIGHT players. We have bought ball players, so logically we should play all the football on the floor ??. This league is a hard one to get out of playing silky football, so Tinnion has to make his mind up which way to play. dunno.gif

I get the feeling we are stuck in the middle of both at the moment, would it be acceptable to most City fans for us to play the ROUGH way or do we all want football on the floor ?????  Debate. farmer.gif

EDIT, spelling ph34r.gif

Experience, solidity, and a settled side to avoid being beaten, a bit of pace and quality in the final third to turn clean sheets into wins.

I don't think a direct style of football is the only way to get out of the division, Crewe have done it twice playing great football.

I'm not sure that it's the style of football that makes the difference. I've noticed that the "mediocre" teams who've overtaken us in recent years (Luton, Brighton, Plymouth) have all had one thing in common - great organisation and obvious team spirit. You need a bit of luck as well of course (and we've never been a lucky team) and decent players obviously help but getting the players on the pitch in a winning frame of mind every week is the key.

The other way to do it is to have a rich benefactor (Hull, Reading, Wigan).

There is no reason why you can't win this league with attractive, passing football, it always beats hoof ball in the long run.

Tall, heavy handed, fast defences.

Midfielders prepared to get a muck in and play good balls on the floor, the odd fast paced cross.

Strikers with pace & positioning, able to head.

A team able to take/defend set peices.

If we could do half of this we would be top of the league.

Archived