IGNORED

African Cup Of Nations

Guest pogue mahone

Guest pogue mahone

highlights every night on bbc.

in yesterdays opening game a heavily fancied tunisia side made hard work of beating a poor rwanda 2-1, add some eccentric referee decisions and the tournament is off in fine style.

3 games on offer tonight, bbc 2 at 11 o'clock.

To be fair, and brutally frank, African football isn't upto much.

Save the few teams which have made it at World cup level, this means very little outside Africa, and it isn't until the 1/4's that it will come together as a spectacle.

That and the previous tournament was dire aswell :D

I remember watching the compatition a few years ago both in 96 and 98 while living in Africa. Was great fun. Maybe the best finish to a game i ever saw. It was Burkina Faso and DR Congo in the third place game. BF was up 3-1 in injury time congo scored followed by BF scoring to make it 4-2 and Congo scored twice in last 30 seconds to tie (there were amazingly on 3 minutes of stoppage time with 4 goals scored) 4-4 then won on penalties 4-1 i think. Made it all the more entertaining that the game was in Burkina Faso and the home crowd was celebrating a third place finish. Classic game, wish i had the ending on tape.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I watched the Rwanda came, the tournemant looks like it could be worth watching. not the best football but some hard tackles flying in. I'm glad I made the effort to watch it because its got me hooked

Guest pogue mahone
Save the few teams which have made it at World cup level, this means very little outside Africa, and it isn't until the 1/4's that it will come together as a spectacle.

That and the previous tournament was dire aswell  :D

you could argue that the same is true of the european championships.

oh, and division 2 football isn't up to much either, but that won't stop me from watching it.

Spot on, Pogue Mahone. I'm afraid there's too much superior arrogance in British football which goes some way to explain our national team's failings; too much expectation on them to win because they are "England" and shoudl win by turning up.

The rest of Europe caught up with us in 1953 but some people still think England are genuine world contenders. Ridiculous! They haven't got the know-how, attitude or class to win the world cup. Every time they come up against a truly class team in a competition they freeze.

The African Cup of Nations is worth watching am I'm going to watch every match.

Guest pogue mahone

so mali have secured their place in the quarters. David Pleat is without his most effective player for at least another week. What a damned pity.

Nigeria played alot better today and looked much more solid without being entirely convincing.

South Africa lacked bite and penetration and on the odd occasions that Zuma got into decent positions, the midfield were to far away to help.

The game was in the balance until after an hour when Kanu and the South African defender tussled for the ball in the SA box.

The SA defender appeard to trip over his own feet and landed on the ball.

Everyone assumed that the ref blew for a free kick to SA but instead gave Nigeria a penalty. The decision can only be described as harsh.

Okocha scored to put Nigeria 2 up and within a couple of minutes the same ref refused to give SA a penalty when Okoronkwo volleyed Zuma into the air.

After that Nigeria took off Kanu and scored two excellent goals.

Guest pogue mahone

well they might well have heard of him, the coach is mick wadsworth who was managing huddersfield last season.

the main reason he is nowhere near their squad is that as well as lua lua they have strikers who play for monaco, lokeren and chievo. all well above the standard of an english second division bench warmer.

Archived