IGNORED

Timing Is Everything

chalkeyred

I firmly believe that the Brian Tinnion appointment was a fragile gamble that had the odds stacked against it from day one. It was a gamble, that in my mind was taken where financial position had to take priority, and in my opinion was conceived some time before the play off final against Brighton.

If we consider our Chairman to be the astute businessman that he so obviously is, we must believe that he has been prepared for the loss of Brian Tinnion one way or another.

Assuming that to be the case, but also remembering the Paul Scally saga, is it not safe to also assume that the groundwork has already been done for this possibility? I think PLAN B has been a consideration for some time now, and will not take long to implement

The squad seems to be pretty much as strong, if not better than needed to compete in this division. Therefore, the answer lies with a proven ability to coach and man manage.

My gut feeling is that playing success is needed quickly by our Chairman, and the financial implications will dictate that his financial gamble will be made on a 'high profile' appointment, who is currently not working. A bit like 'all in' at poker when your chips are low... I think that the past five years have been so downbeat for this club that a different angle is needed, both from a playing and marketing viewpoint.

A young ambitious manager who would dearly love the players and facilities at Ashton Gate should be the long term solution, but I think our Chairman's hand will be forced on this one. Success needs to be in place before we look long term.

I think that the 'restructure' of the management and coaching set up will pave the way for this to happen, by means of some pretty surgical removal of existing coaching staff to finance it. .

How this will reflect in years to come on the tenure of Steve Lansdown as Chairman of BCFC will be interesting. I sincerely hope it will be a major stepping stone for the club.

Archived