IGNORED

No Mad Dogs, We Want Football Son

wybmadwity

Concerning Mad Dog Allen, God Dam Martin Allen, or whatever you want to call him.

Please think long term - we need want a football manager.

Long term.

A football manager that will get us up to the Championship (2nd Division) with a team capable of being successful there.

A football manager and a team that play the beautiful game.

So that even should we not always win, at least the team has tried to play good football.

A team that we can be proud to support.

A team that the players are proud to play in.

Last season, the last time I went to Brentford, FA Cup 2nd round, the Brentford Pitch was the worst pitch I have seen where I have paid watch (40+ years I'm afraid).

Any pass along the ground would hit so many divots it might end up anywhere (Brentford shared their ground with the London Broncos, London's Rugby League side.)

So God Dam's tactics for 120 minutes, against a team that had been coached to play football, was hoof it forward in the air and hope for the best from the knock downs. Effective, but ugly.

And win go through on penalties.

Successfully.

OK if you like to watch that, but nowadays I prefer to watch the beautiful game that is football. Football is what I like to watch.

A football manager is what Bristol City needs. A manager who will develop players. Not a manager who wants to win at all costs. Not Martin Allen

This would be a short term solution with long term consequences.

Under Danny Wilson we played good football. And we were not successful.

Under Brian Tinnion we played poor football. And we were not successful.

I am proud to be a City Supporter.

I want to always be proud to be a City supporter.

I know what you mean, Brentford play awful football, but i think that that is because Allen realised this was their best chance of success. I believe that he has the managerial ability to be able to go to individual clubs and play the style that suits them.

For example, before guiding Brentford to a play-off position last year, a great achievment in itself, he was manager of Barnet. At Barnet he took them to the top of the conference and much of the team that Fairclough inherited was built by Allen. Allen also got Barnet playing excellent football, and it is a style Fairclough continued- and we all saw how effective it was not too long ago....

Therefore, under Allen we will not necessarily play long-ball, direct football. He will come into the club, look at what we have got and see how he can manufacture the most successful way that we can play. I doubt he will bring kick and rush tactics to the Gate when he sees players of the calibre of Stewart and Wilkshire.

I hope Allen becomes manager, i really do, i think it could be the best thing that could happen for us at the moment city.gif

Thanks, good points.

And Martin Allen is a character, and I like characters, I even quite like him.

But not at all costs. Perhaps he would grow out of it, and once again I could be proud to watch the City.

He is certainly a better suggestion than most. Not that I think he would accept an offer at the moment.

But my point is - think long term - not long ball. Think football.

Teams have progressed playing ugly football and teams have progressed playing beautiful football.

Brian Clough never asked his teams to play ugly football, and he was the manager in English football who got the most from the talents he had available.

I think there is a choice.

Thanks, good points.

And Martin Allen is a character, and I like characters, I even quite like him.

But not at all costs.  Perhaps he would grow out of it, and once again I could be proud to watch the City.

He is certainly a better suggestion than most.  Not that I think he would accept an offer at the moment.

But my point is - think long term - not long ball.  Think football.

Teams have progressed playing ugly football and teams have progressed playing beautiful football.

Brian Clough never asked his teams to play ugly football, and he was the manager in English football who got the most from the talents he had available.

I think there is a choice.

But that choice isn't ours, is it? We can debate all we like but at the end of the day Mr. Lansdown is the only one who can decide, and he won't be influenced by anything he reads on here.

I don't think we need a manager who directs his players to put 20 plus passes together in our own half and then hoofs the ball forward, well thats what we have basically had for a while.

I said it before and will say it again, Plymouth, Luton etc WERE NOT footballing teams and they won promotion out of this league in the last two years.

You need a team of tryers who are willing to run,close down ,tackle and FIGHT for every ball. Now who plays like this .... umm Brentford.... and they are top.

I rest my case. snack.gif

Archived