IGNORED

Safe Pair Of Hands Vs Gamble

Dastardly and Muttley

Looking at the potential candidates so far, I think they can be classified in two groups. There's the safe pairs of hands, who will steady the ship but may not be able to achieve much more. Then there's the risky choices. People who could be fantastic and push the club to new heights, or could be a bit of a flop.

I've arranged them as below, what do you guys think and do you think Steve L will be looking for a safe pair of hands, or a gamble?

Safe Pair of Hands

John Ward

Graham Taylor

Lennie Lawrence

Stan Ternent

Mark McGhee

Paul Sturrock

Gamble

Gary Johnson

Martin Allen

Dennis Wise

Leroy Rosenior

Stephen Constantine

Alex Inglethorpe

Guest routabout

I think Gary Johnson would be better in the safe group and Lawrence and Ward go into the gamble group. I think it'd be a huge gamble and not on I'd welcome, to bring Ward back.

I think Gary Johnson would be better in the safe group and Lawrence and Ward go into the gamble group. I think it'd be a huge gamble and not on I'd welcome, to bring Ward back.

I put Gary Johnson in that group because he only has experience at one club. Ward I think would be a safe option, as he's likely just to steady the ship. We know what we're getting with him, media and fan friendly, reasonable manager.

Lennie Lawrence is another manager experienced at this level, would do a similar job to Ward and just keep the club ticking over till we're in a position to find someone better.

Guest routabout

What we're getting with Ward, is a man who is prone to 'bottling it', in my most humblest of opinions.

We don't want a stop-gap manager. Whoever comes in, they should be coming here to sort this mess out and get us out of this hell-forsaken division. How can we be looking to progress, with temporary, yet contracted managers?

Guest Tactical Genius
I put Gary Johnson in that group because he only has experience at one club.

If you disregard the 3 years at Cambridge, and assume that managing Latvia is of no relevance then yes he has experience at only 1 club.

Gary Johnson would maybe be a bit of a gamble. He didnt have the best of times as Latvia manager and Yeovil arent doing too well this season.

They are picking up now, but more importantly they had the second worse defence in their league last season. I don't know if we could bear more of that...

Guest ashtonyate
Looking at the potential candidates so far, I think they can be classified in two groups. There's the safe pairs of hands, who will steady the ship but may not be able to achieve much more. Then there's the risky choices. People who could be fantastic and push the club to new heights, or could be a bit of a flop.

I've arranged them as below, what do you guys think and do you think Steve L will be looking for a safe pair of hands, or a gamble?

Safe Pair of Hands

John Ward

Graham Taylor

Lennie Lawrence

Stan Ternent

Mark McGhee

Paul Sturrock

Gamble

Gary Johnson

Martin Allen

Dennis Wise

Leroy Rosenior

Stephen Constantine

Alex Inglethorpe

Lets get really here Gary Johnson Is happy at yeovil, Out of the list Paul Sturrock or leroy Rosenior who has had a good grounding at Cheltenham and Exeter look the best bets.

I think Rosenior could step up to be a good manager but there are more name that are not on the list to be considerd, but what do I know I thought Pullis,Wilson, would do ok.

What we're getting with Ward, is a man who is prone to 'bottling it', in my most humblest of opinions.

We don't want a stop-gap manager. Whoever comes in, they should be coming here to sort this mess out and get us out of this hell-forsaken division. How can we be looking to progress, with temporary, yet contracted managers?

The last time he was here he had the team playing the best football Ashton Gate has seen for years, and got us automatically promoted. As far as I can recall the only reason he left was a bust up with our then chairman Scott Davidson. He also had an excellent rapport with the fans & appeared to have the total respect of the players.

He's the man for me!

Guest ashtonyate
The last time he was here he had the team playing the best football Ashton Gate has seen for years, and got us automatically promoted. As far as I can recall the only reason he left was a bust up with our then chairman Scott Davidson. He also had an excellent rapport with the fans & appeared to have the total respect of the players.

He's the man for me!

Its never the same second time around re Jordan

If you disregard the 3 years at Cambridge, and assume that managing Latvia is of no relevance then yes he has experience at only 1 club.

Didn't know about the three years at Cambridge, so he could hardly have set the world alight there.

With regards to Latvia, I said he had little club experience. I'm well aware of the job he did at Latvia, just think it's so far removed from managing a club like ours that, although it's beneficial, the experience might not add too much.

I say again, he's in the gamble column as he has little experience at Club level, and the entirety of that experience is in the bottom two divisions. Should we get promoted, we would then have a manager in his first season at Championship level. Surely we should be looking at someone with real club experience, and with knowledge of how to survive at our desired level.

Guest ashtonyate
But Jordan & Ward aren't the same person - how can you be so sure?

No but its the same situation done good first time around but could not repeat again but I do agree we played our best football that i seen since Ward has left.I still don't want him back.

Guest Tactical Genius
Didn't know about the three years at Cambridge, so he could hardly have set the world alight there.

Good to see that the blight of the English football fan is alive and well. Couldn't/can't be any good because I didn't know about it.

Good to see that the blight of the English football fan is alive and well. Couldn't/can't be any good because I didn't know about it.

I noticed that you ignored the rest of the argument in my post.

I don't claim to know everything about football, and don't proclaim myself as a "genius" as you do.

Can you point me to the website that shows that Gary Johnson did set the world alight at Cambridge?

Thankyou.

The only record I can find at www.soccerbase.com shows: P135 W41 L57 D37 and as the LMA shows no record of other promotions than the ones at Yeovil, I'm guessing that Cambridge under his stewardship were hardly trail-blazers.

If, of course, you can prove that Johnson did "set the world alight" at Cambridge, then I will bow to your undoubted genius.

Archived