IGNORED

Colchester Review

fct

Marc Goodfellow scored in first half injury time to give City a 1-0 victory over a hard working and gritty Colchester and bring City to within 2 points of QPR in second place.

The game was punctuated by hard working closing down by the away team which disrupted City's passing game and all too often the home team's moves broke down, but Colchester rarely threatened Steve Phillips and he had to make just one save from Pinault. At the other end Goodfellow sent a shot into the midriff of Simon Brown in goal for the visitors and then a Peacock backheel in the six yard box was palmed away by Brown instinctively.

Goodfellow should have scored after Brown dropped Peacock's header from a corner but the new City player somehow blasted over from 3 yards. At the other end former City loan player Craig Fagan was booked for following through on Stev Phillips and from that moment on was roundly booed by the partisan home crowd, bolstered by a large noisy contingent in the old East End.

Goodfellow did score two minutes into injury time when Peacock's flicked header sent Miller free who passed into Goodfellow's path and the winger blasted into the corner of the net to give City a 1-0 half time lead.

The second half was somewhat an anti-climax as Colchester broke up City's rhythm with some robust play and only after Lita came on did another chance come, Lita being put through by a beautiful Tinnion pass but Brown blocked the shot bravely. The other sub Roberts sent another shot into Brown's midriff but chances were few and far between. Fagan had fouled Hill off the ball which erratic referee Stretton missed but eventually Fagan's luck ran out and was pulled up for yet another foul. This time Fagan talked his way into a second yellow and was dismissed much to the delight of the 10,700 crowd.

City played out the last few minutes and secured their seventh successive league win.

PHILLIPS: 6, hardly anything to do, caught comfortably but his kicking was poor.

CAREY: 6, competent game, linked well with Goodfellow.

COLES: 6, solid but made one or two basic errors at the back.

HILL: 7, reliable performace, won most in the air, just needs to distribute better.

WOODMAN: 5, looked nervous and wasn't at his best, often knocked off the ball.

GOODFELLOW: 6, scored one, missed a sitter, occasionally made probing runs but not often enough to warrant a good game.

DOHERTY: 6, fairly good first half but faded from the game after the interval.

TINNION: 7, linked play well again, provided the best attacking moves. Some passes went oddly astray in the second half.

BROWN: 6, looked more positive but still can't cross to save his life.

MILLER: 5, looks out of place still, but did set up the goal.

PEACOCK: 7, another good performance, deserved a goal but kept shooting straight at the keeper.

Subs

LITA (for Miller) 6, enthusiastic and quick, missed a 1 on 1 and should have scored.

ROBERTS (for Goodfellow) 6, a few good runs and one good shot

BELL (for Doherty) not on long enough to warrant a rating.

Guest City positive

Phillips kicking poor!!!. What game were you at?.Their keepers kicking was poor not Steves.Ok he might have kicked a couple out for a throw in .That is safety first kicking.But poor kicking. NO!

PHILLIPS: 6, hardly anything to do, caught comfortably but his kicking was poor.
Where do people get this from?! I can never understand why Phillips gets a bad rep for this in particular, he is one of the few keepers who can comfortably kick a ball some distance with either foot. Aside from a few average kicks I didn't see anything to complain about.

What is it with this forum and Steve Phillips?

I've recently seen Aaron called a to$$er and chite on here and nobody says a word.

Suggest that Phillips wasn't great in every respect and you get persecuted!

His kicking last night was very average. Must of been 5 times his kicks went straight in to touch when he was under no real pressure. He stopped everything that came near him and had little to do so no complaints, but to say fct comment is wrong I find simply dumbfounding.

Perhaps you didn't notice cos you were too busy watching Matt Hill kick for touch; move over Jonny Wilkinson :D

Aye, I thought both keepers kicking was aimless at times but as I was only giving City players ratings I could only say it on Phillips' behalf. His kicking was inaccurate, whether the Steve Phillips adoration club likes it or not. I put down what I saw at the game; what I didn't say is EVERY kick went astray, it was a general comment.

I stand by this.

Oh, and by the way, the link to the Colchester site - Cider Glider - doesn't work for some reason.

Oh, and by the way, the link to the Colchester site - Cider Glider - doesn't work for some reason.

Try this one http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/This...~479683,00.html, they claim they had 121 away supporters? Not all in the East end then?

My own thoughts were that several players, and Woodman in particular looked tired. It was a long and tough trip to Hartlepool so maybe that had something to do with it.

Great result, below par performance = 3 points :D

Earlier in the season we would have come away with a draw, from both this and the Chesterfield game, so things are on the up.

Guest oneforthe

they claim they had 121 away supporters? Not all in the East end then?

Thats the number city give on the website perhaps they counted the stewards as well to make them feel better. :D

Archived