IGNORED

Are We Looking At Two Separate Appointments?

bcfcnick

I find it a bit unusual that two lists are being drawn up - seems that SL's ideal scenario is to select an experienced manager and, in addition, an up and coming assistant/coach. Steve L said he wanted this to provide continuity and a natural successor when the older man goes.

Interesting idea although I am not sure it is realistic as managers usually like to bring in their own team and often work best in combination with their own choice. Clough and Taylor are the obvious example.

On the basis that SL has suggested I would opt for two ex-international managers - not talking Graham Taylor either. Step forward Gary Johnson (ex-Latvia) and Stephen Constantine (ex-India now on a short-term contract as a coach with Millwall) as his understudy/trainee. Alternatively, I'd go for Leroy Rosenior as an assistant. He's a quality coach and I reckon he'd go for it was sold on the basis he would be the next in line.

Looking at SteveL's track record - where budget considerations seem to be the top consideration regarding coaching staff - I'd suggest he is putting forward keith Millen as the assistant. That's not to knock Keith Millen as I get the impression he is a much better man manager than BT. I've been impressed. It's fine if it is on merit but experience suggests cost might be a major factor. It always amazes me that SL is prepared to fork out 300k in annual wages for a player aproaching the end of his career but looks for bargain basement coaching appointments; it's false economy in my view.

I'd say one of the most important appointments to go along with a new manager is a chief scout (Terry Cooper?) - someone who can spot the next Leroy Lita in the non-league, overseas or someone elses academy.

I hope we don't go for someone from the rant and rave school of management. It's not the absence of tea-cup smashing, hard work or grit and determination that's caused the problems. BT seemed to think it was a simple equation of players trying hard (110% !) equals success. If only it were that simple we'd look for ten more Bradley Orr's and we'd be in the premiership.

We need a modern and effective manager who can steal a bargain in the transfer market and has the skill in bringing out the best in the players through coaching and man management skills. I think another false economy was getting rid of the part-time sports psychologist that Danny Wilson brought in.

Cutting a few thousands in costs by not having a decent chief scout, quality coaching staff and a decent manager may have made Steve L's balance sheet look prettier but what about the lost opportunities cost. Literally millions. SL is an accountant and I question whether he has the mindset to bring in the innovative and imaginative appointments needed.

If SL could make decent appointments he would make a good chairman in the absence of any other multi-millionaires prepared to pump money in. I know that is like saying if someone could kick a ball they might make a good footballer but it's an industry that is renowned for its sharks and Steve L stands out as being light years away from that category.

Guest routabout

If one is a competent or good up and coming manager and the other appointment is a real "been there, done that, well I might add", then I'm all for it. I'd rather that than a good manager on his own.

In an ideal world, Sir Bobby Robson and Keith Curle. But as the choccie ads say, "That's a fantasy, it's never going to happen." So I'd settle for a big cup of Peter Reid brand, plain old cocoa.

Archived