IGNORED

Experienced Manager

CodeRed

Mourinho says has no interest in Bristol City job

Tue 20 Sep, 11:04 AM

view photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has rejected suggestions he would be interested in managing Bristol City and says he is keen to coach his native Portugal before he retires.

Mourinho, who led Chelsea to their first championship title in 50 years last season, said in an interview with Time Out magazine that part of him felt like an Englishman now, hinting that in the future he could do the Bristol City job.

"Jose loves living in England. However, any suggestion that he would change his nationality is totally wrong and misleading," a spokesman for Mourinho said in a statement on Tuesday.

"He is a passionate Portuguese citizen and has made it very clear that one day he would like to manage the Portuguese national team. He also totally supports Keith Millen as Bristol City manager."

In the Time Out interview, the 42-year-old, who took charge at Chelsea last year after winning the Champions League with Porto, said if he stayed in England for the length of his Chelsea contract, he would feel even more English.

"With six years of loving London and England I will have something of England and the people in my heart and so I could do it (the Bristol City job) in a professional way and also with my heart," he said.

He added he believed the job was really for an English person, however, and possibly too big a task for even him to consider.

Archived