IGNORED

Do We Really Want A Rant And Rave Manager?

bcfcnick

I'd say no to the old school of grizzled, hard-nosed,, tea-cup throwing managers. It's not the recipe for sustained success. On that basis I'd steer clear of Peter Reid and perhaps Martyn Allen as well although he might be a bit more innovative than Reid.

Notice how Flintoff says the more relaxed approach of Vaughan brought the best out of him compared to Nasser's rollickings. Interesting to see how Souness with his 'top six' resources has consistently failed over time to motivate players with his no nonsense, aggressive approach.

SteveL needs to realise the game has moved on and make progressive management appointments. I'm sure Johnson can rant and rave in the dressing room like the best of them but he offers a lot more than that with his coaching abilities and he has the ability to raise spirits with good humour and banter. I think BT tried to be the 'tough guy' and it had the opposite effect to what he intended - de-motivated players.

I think the key questions are:

Can the new man build a good team atmosphere?

Can he produce a wining formula that embraces entertaining, passing football?

Can he spot a bargain in the UK and overseas?

Has he got both managerial and high calibre coaching skills?

Has he knowledge and success within the lower leagues?

Only one man fits the bill for me and that is Gary Johnson. Get him linked up with Stephen Constantine and we would have both a winning and entertaining formula. The man likes to win in style.

The club has to recognise that the new manager will have to work with the players currently at the club. I wouldn't be totally against the likes of Dave Basset but his success has been based on big, physical players and we don't have too many on our books. Gary Johnson would be the man to fine tune the current squad over time (although he'd bring in pacy and skilful wide players for sure) but still get the best out of the bulk of the current squad.

Archived