IGNORED

City's Streak Vs The Record

sephjnr

According to the Website's history section, the record for successive wins in the Football league is 14- a record owned by three clubs... ManUre, Preston North End and City :D

Probably mass favouritist hysteria on my part, but I reckon a record-breaker IS possible. The next 8 games are thus:

Grimsby (A), Brentford (H), Peterboro (A), Wrexham (H), Sheff Wed (A), Wycombe (H), Stockport (A) -the team we beat to start the streak- and Rushden/Diamonds (H).

OF THESE TEAMS WE HAVE: Won 3, Drawn 4 and Lost 1.

OF THE TEAMS WE BEAT: Grimsby have not won at all since November 22nd (9 games) haven't won at home since November 8th vs QPR (11 games) and will play City fresh off a drubbing from Wrexham;

Brentford are without victory since Nov 15th (10 games) w/o Home victory since Nov 8th (12) and have to play the rising Port Vale this weekend;

Stockport have only won once since Nov 22nd and quite a few of their squad are yellow card-magnets.

OF THE TEAMS WE DREW: Peterborough's last 10 league games are 3w 4l 2d, and the Draw with City came in a patch where the had no league wins from Aug 25th to Nov 4th, and players are leaving the club due to sponsorship money not coming FWIH;

Wrexham may be a problem though- won half their last 10 games. Discipline could be a possible advantage for City as some of Wrexham's players- like Stockport- are partial to yellow cards. One card-happy referee in February and City could be laughing.

A bigger stumbling block could be Sheff Wednesday, who -in spite of only winning 3 of their last 10- have 2 of those wins on the bounce. Possible saving grace? Sheff Wed are playing a dangerous game with their Keepers... David Lucas -loaned from 1st Div Preston- has just had his loan extended and because of this, their current "First" keeper Kevin Pressman wants to bugger off! If they don't keep Lucas then Wednesday could be IN DEEP TROUBLE when City come calling at the end of February...

Rushden & Diamonds haven't won this year yet, have had a probable win against Tranmere last night postponed due to the weather, have at least 2 high-profile matches coming BEFORE they meet City, are short of both cash and defence (thanks to injuries and discipline :)). I reckon the draw we had there was a blooper and a win ought to be easy.

Which leaves one more team to speculate on...

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Saying "You can't polish a turd" in this instance is completely unfair, but even if you're looking at them with "Adams can only do so much" viewpoint it's obvious that the surely-Div-3-bound Wanderers are in it up to their necks: Last 10? 2 won, 5 lost, 3 drawn. Coming Up Before City? Sheff Wed, Brighton, Luton, Barnsley and Hartlepool. Out of that lot with my limited foresight I can only see 1 win and 7 points at the most for Wycombe. The Squad? some are loaned out, some are loaned in, and it's the people coming in for a spell that Wycombe are relying on to salvage some sort of pride. It's very weird to think that City lost 4-0 to Wycombe earlier in the season, but with any hope there will NOT be a repeat of that fiasco.

All in all I say City can get to 10 at least. But the more the merrier!

Very interesting post and great piccy at the bottom for your sig, but all those facts about our next three games has got me worried :D Thats the sort of teams/matches we usually let ourselves down on. Although we have broken several hoodoos so far. Would be some achievement equaling or even surpassing prestons and manu's record but highly unlikley.

Very interesting post and great piccy at the bottom for your sig, but all those facts about our next three games has got me worried  :)  Thats the sort of teams/matches we usually let ourselves down on. Although we have broken several hoodoos so far. Would be some achievement equaling or even surpassing prestons and manu's record but highly unlikley.
(nitpick: see the flag on the far right? it's our record too- we set it in 1905 :D)

Fair point- all it takes is one slip-up to bring Planet City crashing down to earth (and 30min of PSP work down the toilet) but -barring Brentford coming up- we've had a full-strength squad for several weeks now. That must count for quite a bit- A little bit of training for certain players' weaker aspects (Goodfella's right foot being a prime example) and who knows what we can do.

Saying that though, it all comes down to the right guys being in the right place at the right times and making the right strikes.... Isn't that right Marc :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

Very interesting post, sephjnr, deserves another spell at the top.

I'd back City to win all those home games without too much problem and improve our goal difference markedly in the process, particularly when Wilkshire returns. It wil be very interesting to see Wilkshire and Goodfellow in the same line-up. I think Brentford may face a mauling if we score early on. They've also just lost goalkeeper Paul Smith who i thought was outstanding up there against us.

Of the away games, Sheff. Wed. will obviously become an increasing worry if they maintain recent results betwen now and then. Grimsby's not a happy hunting ground but the way we are going you can't rule out a repeat of the promotion season score up there.

The one that bothers me a bit is Peterboro' away. Just the sort of place we've come unstuck in the past and a hard place to win whatever the placings of the respective teams. Just don't have a confident feeling about this one for some reason.

If City play to their potential then anything is possible. A settled, injury free team is the key but if the players believe they can do it, then they just might. :rolleyes:

quality post - didnt really hit home what a run we are on - to think we are nearly 10 points ahead of barnsley is excellent, however i just hope beyond hope we can make it into the top two..

However one point i was pondering - QPR and City, yeah feasable 1st division teams - Plymouth - now that surprised me!

Once again, a quality post - some decent research and a great piccy - well worth that half hour on PSP... now where did i leave my rastorize key?!

Take it easy...

I would love us to go on such a streak and believe it is possible, but this is Bristol city we are talking of!  Do you really think it will happen.  We will probably get to 14 and then lose a match. :rolleyes:
that'd mean we're capable of repeating a record we set in the first place :D

And what is often forgotten about the "run of consecutive wins" record that we hold jointly is that we were, in those halcyon far off days of early league football, just a teensy whisker away from holding the record outright by far. We had to play Leeds City (not United in those days) but drew 1-1. Had we won that one we would have eventually held the sequential records for a winning streak with 18 straight wins. About 85-86 I remember Reading in this Division got up to 13 straight wins starting with the first game of the season, and had to play bottom placed (?) Wolves to become the fourth team to reach 14 but inexplicably Wolves scored 8 minutes from the end to claim a 1-1 draw. It definitely is not an easy record to break in this day and age, and 7 is pretty impressive already. Mind you I did get a private email this morning which said "how does it feel to have won 7 in a row and still be 10 points behind our Plymouth side"

"how does it feel to have won 7 in a row and still be 10 points behind our Plymouth side"

It's because we're still 10 points behind the 'Ply-muffdivers' that we've got the incentive to break our own record. :rolleyes: We basically need to win just about every game left anyway to ensure our first Championship since 1955 as there are too few games left for much leeway.

It's because we're still 10 points behind the 'Ply-muffdivers' that we've got the incentive to break our own record.  :D  We basically need to win just about every game left anyway to ensure our first Championship since 1955 as there are too few games left for much leeway.
and besides, we're only 7pts behind right now IIRC :rolleyes:

Archived