IGNORED

Bassett At The City Ground

hutch

I have it on good authority that Dave Bassett was at the City Ground last night and it seems he has now become the bookies favourite for the hot seat.

I'd rather see a man like Bassett at the helm who is likely to keep us in the league than Lennie Lawrence who is well past his prime.

I have it on good authority that Dave Bassett was at the City Ground last night and it seems he has now become the bookies favourite for the hot seat.

I'd rather see a man like Bassett at the helm who is likely to keep us in the league than Lennie Lawrence who is well past his prime.

Dave Bassett never had a prime.

Guest routabout

As others have said, Bassett is a former manager of Forest and last night was a bit of a special night for them. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be our manager and I do agree that he would be preferrable to Lawrence, just, but I think that 'Cloughie night' is a pretty plausible reason for his presence.

dave bassett was not at the city ground last night as he was on duty with southampton at mansfield.

he was on sky sports news about an hour before the game.

Mansfield to Nottingham is about 15 miles. So it's possible he went there.

Dave Bassett never had a prime.

He took Wimbledon from the old 4th division to the old first division in six years, and won the FA cup. He won two consecutive promotions from the old third to the old first with Seffield United. He won promotion to the Premiership with Notts Forest. If that's not Prime, then I don't know what is.

Dave Bassett is one of football's colourful characters. Affectionately known as 'Harry', he plied his trade at several clubs with considerable success including:

Wimbledon, Watford, Sheffield United, Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest, Barnsley and most recently Leicester City.

He is probably best known for guiding Wimbledon FC to the First Division in the 1980s after taking over from Dario Gradi at Plough Lane in 1981. Considering the fact that Wimbledon had only been elected to the Football League in 1977, it was an astounding achievement.

Bassett formed the original 'Crazy Gang' and although he left in 1987, many of the players he had signed took The Dons to an unexpected FA Cup victory in 1988 under Bobby Gould.

His credentials as a hard-working and successful motivator are well-renowned.

'Harry' remains a valued, extremely committed and well-respected member of the League Managers Association.

He is also one of a trio on the panel that votes for the Scottish Mutual Performance of the Week, alongside Sir Alex Ferguson and Howard Wilkinson.

He took Wimbledon from the old 4th division to the old first division in six years, and won the FA cup. He won two consecutive promotions from the old third to the old first with Seffield United. He won promotion to the Premiership with Notts Forest. If that's not Prime, then I don't know what is.

Consider the source.

Archived