IGNORED

Into The Guiness Book Of Records ...

Guest Stafford

Guest Stafford

If City were relegated, would messrs Bridges and Stewart be the highest earners ever to have turned out in Division 4? I remember in '69, Jack Howarth at Aldershot was on £135 a week (allegedly) - in today's money something akin to 5-6 month's salary for Mr Bridges - and Jack H was considered to be severely over-paid. None of this really matters until the question of who pays the ferryman comes up. Don't ever complain about the cost of a ticket again. Football bleeds us dry ..... just how do you motivate an ageing player on a 3-4 contract with a guaranteed £300k pa? Answers on a postcard to the manager - BCFC - etc.

Guest routabout
If City were relegated, would messrs Bridges and Stewart be the highest earners ever to have turned out in Division 4?  I remember in '69, Jack Howarth at Aldershot was on £135 a week (allegedly) - in today's money something akin to 5-6 month's salary for Mr Bridges - and Jack H was considered to be severely over-paid.  None of this really matters until the question of who pays the ferryman comes up.  Don't ever complain about the cost of a ticket again.  Football bleeds us dry ..... just how do you motivate an ageing player on a 3-4 contract with a guaranteed £300k pa? Answers on a postcard to the manager - BCFC - etc.

If we were relegated, which WON'T happen, do you honestly think Bridges will hang around? I can't see him staying past the end of this season anyway, regardless of how our season pans out. I think Stewart would have to stay or retire, because he'd be slaughtered if he left the sinking ship.

If City were relegated, would messrs Bridges and Stewart be the highest earners ever to have turned out in Division 4?  I remember in '69, Jack Howarth at Aldershot was on £135 a week (allegedly) - in today's money something akin to 5-6 month's salary for Mr Bridges - and Jack H was considered to be severely over-paid.  None of this really matters until the question of who pays the ferryman comes up.  Don't ever complain about the cost of a ticket again.  Football bleeds us dry ..... just how do you motivate an ageing player on a 3-4 contract with a guaranteed £300k pa? Answers on a postcard to the manager - BCFC - etc.

My boss would say........ "Sack The Lot Of Them"

• Admin

You seem concerened about cost of tickets for someone who hasn't been to a game for a decade............

Praise the big man upstairs that, after 30 years of addiction, I quit going to the Gate week in and week out in the mid 1990s. The club bleed the supporters dry in order to pay over the hill players an annual salary of what most of us earn in a year. Those clubs who employ hungry underpaid youngsters tend to over perform. Sadly, clubs who employ overpaid 'past it' players under-perform. Bristol - the graveyard of ambition. RIP.

Guest Stafford

sorry - my mind is going these days. season 1998-99 - I think it was - we had 3 season tickets at the gate. since then, we have become a collection of those dreaded and much maligned part time supporters. the fans the club needs to attract back. I am blowed if I am going to mindlessly cough up hard earned cash season after season just because I am told to be loyal to the cause. having put thousands into the club over the years, my £s these days are used more thoughtfully. why should I - and probably 20,000 plus like me - work damned hard for 40-60 hours a week to subsidise the lifestyles of overpaid and grossly underachieving players? maybe if the salaries paid were in keeping with the brentfords and colchesters of the footballing world, the 'employees' might display just a little more motivation to better their prospects?? and - yes - I am a veteran of the 64-65 promotion campaign when we beat oldham 2-0 (atyeo clark) - and the 1-0 v Portsmouth and into the top flight - and was at Coventry - as well as lower level cup games v VS Rugby, Aylesbury ... when you get to a certain age you refuse to be a lemming.

• Admin

Do you have any figures showing the big gulf in our players wages and those at Brentford & Colchester? I have heard we pay some of the highest wages in the division, but I can't believe it's a massive difference or we should be able to poach players at will.

I can remember thinking when tickets got to £9 a game, was it worth 10p a minute and I can't recall the year but I guess it was over 10 years ago, but with a season ticket it only costs just under £14 a game, not a big rise in 10 ( or maybe 12) years.

I'd certainly be happier to see players on a reasonable wage with big bonuses for promotion, cup finals etc, but unless all clubs adpot this, it's a non starter.

Blame Sky TV and the Premier League, they are the real culprits who instigated this crazy financial boom in football, we along with all the other lower division clubs are caught up in it and have to manage the situation, without the resources of the top flight or the Championship.

Archived