IGNORED

We're Not A Big Club

Frank Reynolds

Rubbish....

Define big?

Our city has 400,000 live here, Yeovil has what 5000 and most of those are sheep!

They're above us in the league though.

Big clubs don't live in League One.

End of story.

Some of us need to get real, and funnily enough MRDC, after reading your thread, where you seem to be convinced that we're Real Madrid's equals, I was inspired to make this one.

A manager like GJ is right up our street.

Just had this very same argument with my mate. The difference is potential. If we were at the top of this division, we would be pulling in crowds of 15 000+, which makes a massive difference to cash flow, and thus allows to bring in more quality players. I bet my shirt that GJ will mention big club and potential,if/when he is confirmed as manager.

They're above us in the league though.

Big clubs don't live in League One.

End of story.

Some of us need to get real, and funnily enough MRDC, after reading your thread, where you seem to be convinced that we're Real Madrid's equals, I was inspired to make this one.

A manager like GJ is right up our street.

I am pleased that I have inspired you.

I have not compared us to Read Madrid but we are a big club with huge potential!

No. We're not a big club. Some fans though think we are. We aren't Liverpool, Man United Arsenal etc. We've NEVER played in The Premiership, we've NEVER played in Europe and we currently only dream of playing in the Championship League.

We ARE a team in a big City, have a big catchment area and potentially could be a big club. The facts suggest however that we'll never become a big club - especially as the financial gap between the have's and have not's grows increasingly wider.

Just had this very same argument with my mate. The difference is potential. If we were at the top of this division, we would be pulling in crowds of 15 000+, which makes a massive difference to cash flow, and thus allows to bring in more quality players. I bet my shirt that GJ will mention big club and potential,if/when he is confirmed as manager.

True. Where this club has potential is not necessarily through the regular readers of this forum.

The majority of us are die hards and will gladly follow City whether they're top of the Premiership or in the Conference.

Where Bristol as a city stands out is the potential to catch the "floating" fans: those who'll follow us when we get to the Millennium Stadium, or come along when we're playing Wolves and not Colchester.

We're not a "Big Club" as such, you're right, but the truth of the matter is that with the potential support that we have, we're punching underneath our weight.

We can't blame the "fairweather" fans for all our protestations that you hear on here of "I'm a bigger fan than you". The club needs to offer a product that will incentivise them to come along. Then it's about retaining them.

I've one good friend who would happily cast himself as a "floating" fan. The games that he's made in the last couple of years include Brighton in the Play-Off final, and Luton away last year. He's got no motivation at all to come down again! However, if we start scoring a few goals, and have "big name" players such as Stewart and Bridges doing the business, he'll be down again soon no doubt!

We are a small club in a big City. Who have constantly under achived for pretty much our entire existence!

We have no history of being a big club! and therefore have no right to believe we are.

As for Yeovil there are a small club that have got their act together and are doing well, much like Barnet, Wycombe, Cheltenham and Rushden have in the past. They are our equals whether we like it or not.

It's is our own failings that we are in the position we are and we will never be a big club in a big league until we prove it season after season.

WE ARE WHERE WE DESERVE TO BE! NO-WHERE!

A big club doesn't have to come from a big city, much in the same way as being from a big city makes you a big club automatically.

By that logic Rovers are a big club.

Genius!!

A big club attracts fans through thick and thin. Man City had 30,000 gates when they were in this division. Forest had 20,000 on Tuesday. We Big Bristol City get 10,000.

So what if we start winning games if other teams do the same their gates go up as well.

We can take 40,000 because most fans go to something that is successful. Otherwise we are not interested.

We have the potential to be big unlike a Wigan for example if we have sustained sucess. We don't have a history like Forest.

Newcastle were getting 13000 in the championship when they were down there and look at them now. Well not now now but recent history filling their stadium regularly.

At the moment we are not big but we are bigger than many of our competitors in our league which is why we think we should be getting sucess.

Rubbish....

Define big?

Our city has 400,000 live here, Yeovil has what 5000 and most of those are sheep!

And the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember census figures only include those area that fall inside Bristol City Council! If you include BANES and South Glos you're getting nearer 1.5m people.

As has been said many times before, Bristol (and the surrounding areas) is very apathetic when it comes to football. But technically there is no reason why we shouldn't be a big club.

Let's not forget that everyone bangs on about Newcatle, Sunderland etc being big clubs but that is only because they have had a bit of money backing them and some kind of success. I'm can remeber playing Newcastle in the late 80's early 90's when there were only 15,000 people there. Don't believe the hype people, there is nothing special about these areas or clubs, with a decent backing and some success on the pitch, we would be just as big.

My last post is a poorly worded piece of rubbish. :blush:

I meant being from a big city doesn't automatically make you a big club like some have suggested, and that by that logic the Sags are a big club, which clearly they're not.

I agree with rednotblue.

We might not be as big as Real Madrid, but who cares? If we get promoted we'll be bigger and if we get relagated we'll be smaller i guess :blink:

CityDan, how did you get that Tattoo onto your tounge? did that not hurt like ######? :o

We are not a big club, We are a potentially big club that has under achieved on a regular basis.

We have a large fan base when things are going well and a catchment area to increase that fanbase, As proved during our 4 year period in the old first division, When we had regular support from Devon, Cornwall & Dorset.

And for the record Bristol is the 5th biggest City in the country and if you want proof as to how pathetic our 2 legue teams are, Look at the league tables and both clubs without managers, That is why we are not a big club.

Guest comicdog

if anyone says we are yeovils equals one more time i swear i am going to scream, yeovil was a big fish in a small pond now they are absolutly nothing, yeovil will never progress further than where they are now, and you all say that bristol city have never been close to being big, well blame the players, look how many times he have reached the play-offs, and look how many times the players have not given it there all in that situation. For us to become big, we need a solid manager and we need to stop getting ripped off, such as when we sold andy cole (biggest mistake ever) and i mean in the past we have had many MANY great internationals and to attract that kind of quality you need to be reasonably big so please all of you people that think we are huge get a grip on reality because we are'nt but for all you people that don't think we are even close to being big i suggest you go back, get your facts straight and then get involved in this conversation instead of making yourself look like an idiot because your un-happy to our start to the season.

Archived