IGNORED

Is It A Gamble For Johnson?

richerella

If you were Johnson would you risk coming to City? At Yeovil he's performed amazingly well bringing up a "provincial" team and enjoyed the long term backing of board and fans. Now he's being approached by Bristol City, a team that has experienced a mixture of bad luck, mismanagement and underperformance for (let's just say) a while.

Whilst at Yeovil the board and fans have given him the time needed to bounce back, regroup and return to form. City sack managers like Danny Wilson because we didn't gain promotion within an alloted time, which nobody seemed to be aware of and fans become impatient. So much so that on this forum threads discuss the re-hiring managers who have been given the chop.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to put the guy off I'd welcome him to us if everyone thinks he's the right man. I'm just keen to know why he thinks coming to us is a good idea when our previous form would make anyone think we don't give people a lot of time.

Do you think our board is realistically going to give this man enough time to get us up?

If I was Johnson, I would be interested in the post.

From an outsider's viewpoint, we must surely be a club that has the

potential to play at a higher level.

Not too long ago we were playing against Portsmouth, WBA, Norwich, Crystal Palace, all clubs who have now gone on to be Premiership clubs.

I honestly believe that with the right man in charge, we can be at least as successful as all of the clubs named above. With all due respect to Yeovil, a club I admire a lot, I don't believe that they will be able to reach much higher than being a top League One or middling Championship side.

If I was Johnson, the opportunity of managing a club in obvious trouble, but with a large amount of potential, I would be licking my lips at the opportunity.

If GJ can turn this club around, he will have made his name as a manager and a Premiership post will surely beckon.

Despite our current predicament, we still have the potential to be plying our trade at a much higher level and this is why we allegedly attracted some good quality candidates such as Dave Basset, Peter Reid and Dennis Wise for the post.

Guest Gill Green

While sorry to see GJ leave Yeovil I believe its a sensible move for him. Whether we like it or not there is limited potential at Yeovil and Gary's pretty much reached that. Realistically, further improvement would require loads more investment, on and off the pitch, and the need to somehow "find" several thousand more spectators. He has worked miracles at Yeovil to gain 2 promotions in 3 seasons and probably sees City as being another opportunity to do the same. City has the potential to be a big club even if they are not currently achieving and given time I think he will take them forward much as he has Yeovil. No doubt some will start questioning his "loyalty" but this is football, he is a career manager and we should be eternally grateful that he brought success to Yeovil, playing exciting and entertaining football. A genuinely nice guy, I wish him well and hope he gets a good reception in December on his return. I only hope we are able to consolidate our lofty new status and make a considered appointment as his replacement will have a very hard act to follow. Good luck.

While sorry to see GJ leave Yeovil I believe its a sensible move for him. Whether we like it or not there is limited potential at Yeovil and Gary's pretty much reached that. Realistically, further improvement would require loads more investment, on and off the pitch, and the need to somehow "find" several thousand more spectators. He has worked miracles at Yeovil to gain 2 promotions in 3 seasons and probably sees City as being another opportunity to do the same. City has the potential to be a big club even if they are not currently achieving and given time I think he will take them forward much as he has Yeovil. No doubt some will start questioning his "loyalty" but this is football, he is a career manager and we should be eternally grateful that he brought success to Yeovil, playing exciting and entertaining football. A genuinely nice guy, I wish him well and hope he gets a good reception in December on his return. I only hope we are able to consolidate our lofty new status and make a considered appointment as his replacement will have a very hard act to follow. Good luck.

Good luck in finding yourselves a replacement. I'd never have dreamed it was possible that we would be able to attract GJ here, after he turned down Coventry and Derby. The man has achieved great success at Yeovil, and done it by playing good football. Lets hope he can do the same for us!

Archived