IGNORED

A Word Of Caution

Nibor

Gary Johnson wasn't my first choice but I'm very pleased to see him get the job because it is one of the few appointments that will be supported by the vast majority of city fans. SteveL has done what the fans have asked of him and splashed out on a young up and coming boss who will start with great support. The forum will now turn into rapturous adulation for the rest of the day until the Brentford game, we will be in the Premiership in 3 years etc etc etc.

But beware. Johnson is stuck with the players we have until the transfer window opens at least. Their confidence is low, the squad is thinner than it should be and we still have some difficult times ahead. We're not going to suddenly go on a winning streak - don't expect it. Let's keep that initial enthusiasm going as long as possible and get fully behind the team and new boss. Let's not have silly expectations and the inevitable calls for his head after every bad game. If we start to look more organized and see some more confidence about the place that will do for starters. It will be a lot of small steps forward instead of a giant leap I think.

Good luck Gary Johnson

Nibor

The voice of reason - although I might have expected an hour or so before it emerged!

Frankly, where vwe are now, I would settle for midtable this year, with real evidence that the team is coming togeher and playing good to watch footie. That would be substantial progress now in my book.

Well done SL. Welcome Gary.

Unreasonable expectations and the belief that we are bigger than we actually are have blighted this club for years, as Mr Johnson is about to discover. I hope he does well, and given time I believe he could be an outstanding manager for us.

If he wins his first few games he will be hailed as the Messiah. If he doesn't (and I agree, it could take time) then it will only be a matter of time before some of the many muppets on this forum (probably some of the ones who will sing his praises today) start to slag him off and call for his sacking.

Welcome to Ashton Gate Gary.

Unreasonable expectations and the belief that we are bigger than we actually are have blighted this club for years, as Mr Johnson is about to discover. I hope he does well, and given time I believe he could be an outstanding manager for us.

If he wins his first few games he will be hailed as the Messiah. If he doesn't (and I agree, it could take time) then it will only be a matter of time before some of the many muppets on this forum (probably some of the ones who will sing his praises today) start to slag him off and call for his sacking.

Welcome to Ashton Gate Gary.

Great post Dave. Fully agree. Fans, we have to give the guy a break and not slag him when he is down which happens often in this sport.

Words of caution, and wise ones at that.

Our football to date this season has been truely diabolical. GJ's gotta try and turn around a team that don't look like winning into one that needs to start winning as soon as possible.

I hope no-one's deluded enough to automatically think we'll be straight back in the race for promotion. That, for the time being, is a very unreasonable target.

GJ needs to steady the ship as soon as possibly by maintaining our unbeaten home record and begin to pick up points away from home.

As long as he steers us away from the bottom four by Christmas time then I will be very happy. We can re-assess in January and start to think about pushing onto the play-offs.

Good luck GJ, we're behind you 100 per cent.

Archived