IGNORED

City V Brentford

Bristol Boy

A thoroughly deserved win that should and could have been 5 or 6-2.

Same players, mostly, same division, similar opposition, same formation,so what made the difference?

Belief and a manager.

It's as simple as that.

GJ obviously has more motivational skill in his little finger than Tins & Millen put together and those same "tired, demotivated, overated" players responded.

OK, we had Heywood back and that made a big difference.

Partridge is now fit and, in fairness, showing why Tins paid the transfer fee.As I said on a couple of occassions, he HAD to be a better player than he looked initially.

I still think Keogh should join them in a three as they may struggle against the quicker and nippier forwards (Forest) and our team suits 3-5-2 far better.

I'd make a couple of changes for the home game

Madjo worked hard and won significant ball in the air.

Where there still things wrong?

Of course.

The difference is, he's spotted them and Tins couldn't.

"We were flat in the warm up and we would've started flat" How many times have City started poorly, despite huddles, etc.

"We switched off from set pieces-The whole team at the same time" I'll say no more about that & set pieces just look at my last twenty match reviews :(

If we start brightly, score and get confidence, we're a different team and if we can stop conceeding from set pieces, we've really got a chance.

It's not all going to be plain sailing and how many times have we said, "if we can win these next two home games..............."

The difference is, I actually think we might, as both teams lost and Barnsley had two key players sent off.

We're six points off sixth place with 36 games to play.

As they say in the Caribbean, "there's nothing like a big johnson" and credit to our Board for getting what looks like the right man.............we hope!

PHILLIPS 5/10 He'd be one of the changes as we need a keeper who dominates the box.I've been a defender of Phillips and I'm not saying he's a bad keeper, but I think he's become complacement and he's very poor on crosses.That showed up badly yesterday.

ORR 7/10 Well, I'm glad someone finally listened to what's been said on here by yours truly and others for a season.That's his position and, although he started to come under pressure and got a little shaky in the end, he's definetly a better option than Smith or Carey at present.

WOODMAN 6/10 Would've been 7 but for that howler that gifted them a lifeline first goal.Having said that, we should've been at least 3-4 in front by then.Like Orr he's not perfect but he's a better option than Golbourne or Fortune.

PARTRIDGE 8/10 Didn't put a foot wrong and competed for 90 minutes.Begining to look like the cornerstone of our defence and, dare I say it,even possibly, a leader & organiser.

HEYWOOD 8/10 Big hearted display and a key player.I just hope we can keep him fit for enough games.Not the quickest and struggles when it bounces, but our best opportunity, with Partridge of winning the first ball and heading clear set pieces, that's so important at this level.

COTTERILL 6/10 Worked hard up and down the line but overplays in defence to much,One of the few with decent, not blistering, pace, but there is not enough end product from a player with his undoubted talent.If we're going to go 4-4-2 then I'd rather have him in there than Murray.

WILKSHIRE 8/10 Superb goal marks him up from a 7.After a poor start he grew in confidence and even won a few tackles.Showed once again, that he's a goal scorer from midfield and we need that.Passed better as the game went on and a real confidence player.Like GJ, I don't like the two step run up for the pen and that miss could've lost us two points.

SKUSE 6/10 Worked hard but not the player in midfield he is at that back and I'd leave him out at home.

BROWN 7/10 I don't like him on the left wing and, like ALL of our genuine midfielders (i.e.Not Murray & Cotterill) he'd do far better in a three.Although in acres of space, his LEFT FOOT, cross for Brookers goal was probably our best all season and his run & dive for the penalty, was excellent :D Usual hard work and the passing radar came back for our excellent 20 minute spell at the start of the second half.

STEWART 6/10 Good finish, but wasted numerous chances afterwards.Obviously a skillfull player but the lack of any pace is a great concern and he'd be the third player I'd leave out of the starting line up on Tuesday.

KEOGH 6/10 Competed well at the death but not on long

BROOKER 7/10 What proved to be the winning goal and held the ball up well.Should start on Tuesday.

MURRAY Not really on long enough to rate.

I'll post the team with the changes I'd make later. :city::city::city:

So how did Madjo do? Other than work hard and win significant balls in the air..? Or was that all he did?!

Sounded like he did quite well reading the report...??

I'd give him 7/10 Won alot of headers/ flick-ons, had some nice touches and set up Stewy with a nice header. Looked strong with a bit of pace. Overall a good debut.

:blush:

I know he got a mention, but I forgot to rate Madjo, so:

MADJO 7/10 For a debut, decent enough.Worked hard and won more than his fair share in the air, which actually, apart from Stewarts goal, didn't do that much harm to Brentford, because we didn't have anyone running onto the flick ons..Did we Marcus? A nice touch and gets his head up to play other people it.Very strong and can hold the ball up.Didn't look a huge goal threat but kept the defenders busy and they new they'd been in a game.

I had his family sat by me-Brother-Auntie Cousin etc, etc and they made more noise than we do at most home games......even though they didn't know the words to the songs or speak that much English......certainly not Bristolian :)

Whilt fans normally have a pie, pastie or some Coffee, this lot had a bl00dy picnic :D

Out came the tupperware containers and there was chicken, fish, rice, BEER, you name it and if Sexstone's looking at the catering he could do worst than give this lot a go :rofl2br:

It started with four of them, a few mobile phone calls later and by the end we had about ten of them.

500 of them in any part of our ground and AG would be loud I tell you.

Every time Madjo touched the ball, they went mental :rofl2br:

:blush:

I know he got a mention, but I forgot to rate Madjo, so:

MADJO 7/10 For a debut, decent enough.Worked hard and won more than his fair share in the air, which actually, apart from Stewarts goal, didn't do that much harm to Brentford, because we didn't have anyone running onto the flick ons..Did we Marcus? A nice touch and gets his head up to play other people it.Very strong and can hold the ball up.Didn't look a huge goal threat but kept the defenders busy and they new they'd been in a game.

I had his family sat by me-Brother-Auntie Cousin etc, etc and they made more noise than we do at most home games......even though they didn't know the words to the songs or speak that much English......certainly not Bristolian :)

Whilt fans normally have a pie, pastie or some Coffee, this lot had a bl00dy picnic :D

Out came the tupperware containers and there was chicken, fish, rice, BEER, you name it and if Sexstone's looking at the catering he could do worst than give this lot a go :rofl2br:

It started with four of them, a few mobile phone calls later and by the end we had about ten of them.

500 of them in any part of our ground and AG would be loud I tell you.

Every time Madjo touched the ball, they went mental :rofl2br:

Was it you who rang up Twentyman about Madjo? Someone was saying they were hollering for the whole game! Fair play I say :D

I just can't understand.

We gain a superb away win like that and you want to change the team around.

Why not just keep a winning team!!!!

Good question.

Whilst we won and we could have won by more, we could very easily have thrown it away with a draw and even a defeat.

If GJ wants to play 4-4-2 that's fine but, in all honesty, that won't consistently get the best out of our squad as it stands.

For example, every midfielder at the club prefers to play in the centre.Brown, Wilkshire, Skuse, Russell, Orr, Smith, Harley.We don't have a natural wide left attacker at the club.Stewart's to slow and is better in the whole.Fortune isn't the man although, in time and with a stone of muscle, Golbourne could well be.

Cue GJ plays 4-4-2 and wins the next two or three 4-0!!

My post last night (in the topic "Back from Brentford"):

My ratings:

Phillips - 5/10, flapped, at fault for the first Brentford goal, Brentford are difficult opposition for him

Orr - 7/10, best I've seen him play, looked a natural right back

Woodman - 6/10, at fault with Phillips for the first Brentford goal, generally played well, but seems to lack confidence, e.g. should have shot on at leat one occasion

Heywood - 8/10, immense, commmanding, doesn't give away too many fouls, - all good central defender attributes, but a bit slow and distribution not great

Partridge - 6/10 cleaned up well; decent foil for Heywood

Wilkshire - 7/10, great free kick, average penalty, worked hard, good distribution, poor tackler

Skuse - 6/10, lost last season poise, poor tackler for someone touted as a central defender

Brown - 8/10, never an orthodox left wing, but a good footballer; good running with the ball, and I felt there were times he should have dribbled instead of passing; good crosses, great worker

Stewart - 7/10, class, but should have done better when clean through; took his offside goal well, great link play, good playing in the hole

Cotterill - 8/10, a great game, perhaps should have shot more, and his crosses aren't the best, but put lots of pressur on the defence

MadJo - 6/10, good for a first game; looked out classed at times early on, but his heart is good, kept working and pressing without giving away possesion too easily, and closed down without giving away silly free kicks, and unlucky not to score himself. Needs more games, but probably not a number one striker for us.

Brooker - 8/10, good goal, good link-up, keeps possession, works hard, needed

Keogh - 6/10, looked a bit lost, was he a 3rd central defender or a defensive midfielder - difficult coming on so late

Murray - not on for long enouhgh to judge

Team overall - 8/10; wonderful football, hard work, proud watching them, but still some shaky moments, put away some half chances, missed better chances

So you, Bristol Boy, gave

- Partridge 8 to my 6

- Cotterill 6 to your 8

- Brown and Stewart and Brooker a point less each

- Wilkshire a point more (you added a point for his free kick - so did I, but I meanly took one off for the uninspiring penalty

- MadJo a point more, and his family 10 (I was standing so couldn't rate, but he sounds worth playing just to get them involved).

I'm happy to have got so close to you ratings - it's always a pleasure to read your reviews, and if we all had identical opinions we wouldn't be writing and reading here.

Archived