IGNORED

Match Officials - Barnsley

Maesknoll Red

I actually think the most noticeable gulf between Premiership and Coca Cola Leagues is the standard of refereeing. We can raise our game and compete with the Evertons etc on a one off basis, but the quality from the man in black at League 1 level remains consistantly infuriating.

I was speaking to a Southampton fan yesterday, who found the quality of football in the Championship was not so different to the premiership (with the exception of the big 3), but that the refereeing was rank amateur.

I remember when Durkin was down here last season, it was a pleasure to watch. You hardly noticed him, and it was weird not getting up from your seat to question an official's parentage during a game.

Looking forward to seeing what difference this will make on Tuesday (albeit behind a whole list of other things I am looking forward to even more on Tuesday).

As I understand it, ref's and assistants have to declare which (if any) team they support and they are never given fixtures involving that team.

Ah right.I thought it must be something like that I suppose. Fair play to them for doing their job and being able to stay neutral. I hate watching any football match without supporting one particular side.

Archived