IGNORED

Somerset

bartolona

Somerset play in taunton, Gloustershire play just off of Glouster Road, Who is the closest to Ashton Gate? Yes Gloustershire so why does everyone bang on about Somerset for?

I hate Somerset myself as i'm a Bristolian and as a Bristolian I support my local cricket team which is Gloustershire.

Well I'm personally originally from Somerset although have lived in Brizzle over 5 years now - Bristol City - being just up the A38 was the easiest place to get to from the 'Set ....I think that BCFC has always been the favoured team in Somerset (although there were a few Gas in my school as well), being that that we are on the Somerset ''side'' of the city? Maybe I'm talking bull....?? Anyways - Up the Set!!!!

:farmer:

As mentioned before there has always been numerous links between City and Somerset. Not sure if it actually shows anything but the attatched map shows the old Somerset boundary running through the middle of Bristol and looks asthough it almost follows the river.

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/images/maps/Somerset.jpg

Anyway, any Gloucester fans should still give the master that is Banger Tres a heroes welcome for A; bringing home the ashes, and B; Being the highest profile City fan of the moment.

Sorry about the boring map stuff, I'll get me anorak,

Eugene.

So because i Come from Southmead Am I ment to support a Cricket team that is miles and miles away from me when i can Support a brilliant one day side in Glocestershire that was only a ten minute bus ride from me?

The last time i checked a map of Bristol i was sure that Scruffmead was north of the River. :D

Now i'm not local anymore but am i right in thinking Nailsea is in N.Somerset.

The reason so many follow somerset is many city fans (myself included) come from south of bristol - the nailsea to bridgwater/taunton corrider particularly.

All of this is somerset and always has been hence the strong links between the two clubs. For my own two penneth i have always felt city were somereset and rovers were gloucester butmaybe thats just cause i grew up in somerset.

That being said there did to me seem a definate city/somereset v gas/gloucester split when the two counties met in the C&G final a few years ago. As one lady of ample build in front of me put it - 'thats the problem with gloucestershire - full of bloody gasheads'.

Bangers is from Keynsham though isn't he?

I have lived in north Bristol all my life and know of more City fans in that area than Rovers fans. Rovers used to play at Eastville and you will find most of there fans come from that area and Kingswood etc etc.

As for making a fool of myself I think you should re-phrase that as your making a fool of yourself. My Family have followed City from the early days and they introduced me to City and none of them we're from Somerset.

Just because I support City that doesn't mean i have to support Somerset. I was inroduced to City by my family and I introduced myself to Gloucestershire Due to the location when I was younger as they are my loal team, I'm not going to travel all the way to Taunton to watch Somerset play when I can go and support my local team.

Isnt your local team Rovers though ?

:razz:

Somerset play in taunton, Gloustershire play just off of Glouster Road, Who is the closest to Ashton Gate? Yes Gloustershire so why does everyone bang on about Somerset for?

I hate Somerset myself as i'm a Bristolian and as a Bristolian I support my local cricket team which is Gloustershire.

Yep Gloustershire are based in Bristol so I clapped Tresco as an Aussie beater but couldn't find it in my heart to clap Somerset

Stick to fishing mate, your making a fool of yourself. 10 mins from Rovers ,10 mins from Gloucestershires ground etc etc. Most City fans are from Somerset...... FACT

:farmer:

They are? surely Yeovil is the team from Somerset. When you think 2/3 of Bristol are Red think your facts are a little wayward

I have lived in north Bristol all my life and know of more City fans in that area than Rovers fans. Rovers used to play at Eastville and you will find most of there fans come from that area and Kingswood etc etc.

As for making a fool of myself I think you should re-phrase that as your making a fool of yourself. My Family have followed City from the early days and they introduced me to City and none of them we're from Somerset.

Just because I support City that doesn't mean i have to support Somerset. I was inroduced to City by my family and I introduced myself to Gloucestershire Due to the location when I was younger as they are my loal team, I'm not going to travel all the way to Taunton to watch Somerset play when I can go and support my local team.

I didn't say you did have to support Somerset did I? I was merely elaborating on the subject matter of the topic - i.e. the strong links between the two clubs, coming partly from this part of Bristol formerly being in Somerset and latterly from a mutual fan base to the south of bristol.

If you care to juyst take a look around this forum you'll see how many come from places like W-s-M, Nailsea, Clevedon, Yatton, down to Bridgwater and Taunton. If you care to moniter the A38 and A370 on matchday you'll see just how many of City's fans come from Somerset hence why the clubs maintain strong links - Did you know you can buy City shirts in the Somerset club shop? There are also other offers that have run re tickets etc for members of both clubs.

Who you care to follow in the cricket I don't really give a toss - obviously many fans in the Bristol area will follow Gloucester and thats fine its no basis for anyone to have a pop. Similarly though from my upbringing the link will always be City = Somerset and Gloucester = Gas. Thats just the way it is. But there really is no noeed to take it personally.

I live in Nailsea, Somerset, which is as closer to AG than Ashley down!

Hope this helps..

:)

I wouldn't mind as much but the club don't seem to jump for joy when Gloucestershire win something.

Once again i find myself asking if you are for real, i've seen Glos on the pitch at twice prior to last night parading a trophy.

To me this whole agruement should be based on whether you feel a cricket team represent you, Glos play in Bristol but if you feel your local loyalities lie with Somerset, then why would you follow another county? To follow your logic, i should support Yeovil, but distance matters not to me!!

Men fought and died for free speech but you abuse the priveledge!!!

Archived